Box Calf / Veau Box through the years #boxcalfnerds

Thank you QF! I reread your first posts, and I got much more out of them now than I did prior to finishing the thread. I love your 2002 bolide appearance.
My box bags are older than your 2000 Kelly, but they have a similar appearance, plush, velvety, a sheen but not shiny. I love them too, but I am after the matte look for the next one.
It's helpful to know that the very shiny, mirror-like appearance can be developed through patina and polishing. I just sent the Lydie to the spa so maybe that will come back more shiny. I'm glad that I am prepared for that now! I think it will look fine either way.
So now I know to look for either chamonix or for matte box, it does seem from the bags I have liked so far that the early 2000s have a more matte appearance for box.
Thanks for the help.
You may also want to look at Sombrero, which is VERY matte.
DocRide's Luxury Again makes a box calf polishing kit, which I think can be used to achieve shine on box when you want it. I tried it on my 1952 Kelly and I'm just too chicken to really brush and buff the bag, but it's a great kit.

gracekelly is right, box rarely appears totally matte, but it doesn't have to be shiny. If you look at my Kellys in the first few posts, the 2000 is a little shimmery/satiny but not shiny; the 1980 is full-on glossy. The 2000 is also softer but I think that's because it is retourné. The Bolide I also posted is quite matte, enough so to have been mistaken for both Chamonix and Barenia.
The very, very shiny patina on some box calf is apparently often a result of scratches blending together, plus polishing...this is often called "mirror-like". None of my box bags have it, so I cannot speak to the development of the patina....I'd love to know, though!
I agree that some years are more matte in box. My anthracite box Kelly is not shiny like my vintage Kellys. I think anthracite looks better more matte as well.

Reactions: nicole0612
gracekelly is right, box rarely appears totally matte, but it doesn't have to be shiny. If you look at my Kellys in the first few posts, the 2000 is a little shimmery/satiny but not shiny; the 1980 is full-on glossy. The 2000 is also softer but I think that's because it is retourné. The Bolide I also posted is quite matte, enough so to have been mistaken for both Chamonix and Barenia.
The very, very shiny patina on some box calf is apparently often a result of scratches blending together, plus polishing...this is often called "mirror-like". None of my box bags have it, so I cannot speak to the development of the patina....I'd love to know, though!

Thank you for the explanation of Box leather over the years. It is truly educational & helpful!

You may also want to look at Sombrero, which is VERY matte.
DocRide's Luxury Again makes a box calf polishing kit, which I think can be used to achieve shine on box when you want it. I tried it on my 1952 Kelly and I'm just too chicken to really brush and buff the bag, but it's a great kit.

Matte box would be a little easier to maintain though I'm thinking? I've only read the threads on sombrero, never seen it IRL. I would probably take a few different leather options if the other specs for my needs however :smile:

Matte box would be a little easier to maintain though I'm thinking? I've only read the threads on sombrero, never seen it IRL. I would probably take a few different leather options if the other specs for my needs however :smile:
I only have a Ulysse in Sombrero. It has a lovely, almost powdery matte-ness. My Ulysse got SOAKED through (I mean drenched) in The Great Evelyne Airplane Accident and looks quite a bit the worse for wear, but I will say that it didn't stain. It does seem more delicate than box to me.
If you can deal with scratches, box is a forever classic and restores well, and yes, when it's matte I think scratches look quite natural, although it depends on color :flowers:

I only have a Ulysse in Sombrero. It has a lovely, almost powdery matte-ness. My Ulysse got SOAKED through (I mean drenched) in The Great Evelyne Airplane Accident and looks quite a bit the worse for wear, but I will say that it didn't stain. It does seem more delicate than box to me.
If you can deal with scratches, box is a forever classic and restores well, and yes, when it's matte I think scratches look quite natural, although it depends on color :flowers:

Sorry to hear about your Ulysse. I will have to look up the deets on your airplane incident! I can definitely deal with scratches, I actually don't mind them much at all.

Hi all, I have procured a 2006 kelly lakis in chocolate box calf, ever since I have gotten my 2002 noisette box bearn, I have been addicted to it super smooth texture, and it's attractiveness when it patinas.

Here are the pictures [emoji846].

IMG_1498639685.480176.jpg

IMG_1498639701.281410.jpg

IMG_1498639727.383004.jpg

IMG_1498639751.283055.jpg

IMG_1498639782.058645.jpg

Ps, the calvi is in butler leather, little is known for this leather so far. But it is just as smooth as the box calf, however it scratches way more easily than box.

QuelleFromage, can you send me the link to your airplane soaking accident story??

Hi everyone, I just uploaded a post on my diy spa treatment on my box calf Kelly lakis. Do check my profile to see the post! I'm not sure how to put the link here [emoji51].

Oh wow...thank you so much. I dropped by Docride's thread and your bag looks amazing after your magic touch. Thanks for sharing. Now I need to study more on DIY spa...