Denison or Large Croc - Cracking and Care?

whitsnwhits

Mar 18, 2017
Hi Ladies, I picked up this beautiful Denison Large Barlow in light taupe at one of those fab Dillard's clearance sales a few weeks ago and absolutely love her...but I'm a bit concerned about her leather. She's quite sturdy and perfectly stiff, but there are several areas where her finish seems to be cracking at the folds and bends. Should I worry? Is there a product that would keep her from really cracking without compromising the intended stiffness of her leather? Just checking with you knowledgeable ladies since she is my first bag from this collection. Thank you!!IMG_1495295669.784071.jpgIMG_1495295680.090592.jpg

Hi Ladies, I picked up this beautiful Denison Large Barlow in light taupe at one of those fab Dillard's clearance sales a few weeks ago and absolutely love her...but I'm a bit concerned about her leather. She's quite sturdy and perfectly stiff, but there are several areas where her finish seems to be cracking at the folds and bends. Should I worry? Is there a product that would keep her from really cracking without compromising the intended stiffness of her leather? Just checking with you knowledgeable ladies since she is my first bag from this collection. Thank you!!View attachment 3704645View attachment 3704646
It's a beautiful handbag, but I can see what you are worried about. I have a few Dooney croco handbags, but haven't had any major issues. Brahmin also makes croco embossed leather handbags, and they have a leather conditioner that they recommend. I've never used it on a Dooney, but I plan to at some point. I have used it on some of my Brahmin handbags. I don't know if the conditioner will soften the leather, but I wouldn't be afraid to use a small amount to try to moisturize the areas that look driest. You could do a test on a small area. The process Dooney uses for the croco embossing must be hard on the leather.

Hope this is a good spot to post my question. Am thinking about buying a croco satchel and was wondering how they hold up in the rain and how durable they are overall. I only have pebble leather and coated cotton so no experience with croco. thank you!

Hope this is a good spot to post my question. Am thinking about buying a croco satchel and was wondering how they hold up in the rain and how durable they are overall. I only have pebble leather and coated cotton so no experience with croco. thank you!
I have many Dooney croco satchels. They are great in the rain, it just rolls off the croco. If it's wet when you get home, use a soft cloth or paper towel to dry it. The croco has a finish that seems to repel the water. As for durability, I haven't had a problem. The fact that it's a pattern, with variations in color ad texture tends to hide surface scratches. Overall, I don't think the croco is as durable as the pebbled leather or the Saffiano, but I don't think it's delicate either.

I have many Dooney croco satchels. They are great in the rain, it just rolls off the croco. If it's wet when you get home, use a soft cloth or paper towel to dry it. The croco has a finish that seems to repel the water. As for durability, I haven't had a problem. The fact that it's a pattern, with variations in color ad texture tends to hide surface scratches. Overall, I don't think the croco is as durable as the pebbled leather or the Saffiano, but I don't think it's delicate either.
ohhh! - Good to know, thank you so much for replying.