boy bag chain question... 17A, caviar black ghw

iconic321

O.G.
Mar 8, 2007
I'm hoping someone with this bag (or a previous season's version) can answer my question. I am relatively new to Chanel with only classics under my belt. Yesterday I picked up my very first boy bag in the old medium size with matte gold hw. I am thrilled with my purchase but noticed something on the chain of my new bag that I'm not certain I like/is supposed to be there. I feel like there is a very obvious line down the center of the chain where the individual links are formed... not sure if that is explaining the issue I see. It strikes me as a cheap look. Perhaps I'm being too picky. If all the boy bags with their chunkier chains are made this way, I will feel better. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_2575.JPG
    IMG_2575.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 2,181
Thank you!! What season is your bag from and what is the finish? It looks like it's shiny gold versus matte or antiqued. I posted about this in the Pre fall shopping thread but I think my uncertainty with the chain on my bag has to do with how light it is! It is really light! I know some will like that but it's throwing me off.

Reactions: Angel124ev
Thank you!! What season is your bag from and what is the finish? It looks like it's shiny gold versus matte or antiqued. I posted about this in the Pre fall shopping thread but I think my uncertainty with the chain on my bag has to do with how light it is! It is really light! I know some will like that but it's throwing me off.

I have the new medium boy with black cavier and brushed gold hardware from the 17C collection. The chain is kinda shiny and I can see some silver underneath

Attachments

• IMG_2741.JPG
    IMG_2741.JPG
    218.3 KB · Views: 3,216
Reactions: Pinkpilates
I'm hoping someone with this bag (or a previous season's version) can answer my question. I am relatively new to Chanel with only classics under my belt. Yesterday I picked up my very first boy bag in the old medium size with matte gold hw. I am thrilled with my purchase but noticed something on the chain of my new bag that I'm not certain I like/is supposed to be there. I feel like there is a very obvious line down the center of the chain where the individual links are formed... not sure if that is explaining the issue I see. It strikes me as a cheap look. Perhaps I'm being too picky. If all the boy bags with their chunkier chains are made this way, I will feel better. What do you think?
I too recently purchased my first boy in black caviar with GHW (17A). The hardware is AGED gold (I believe 17C is shiner and possibly brushed gold?). The obvious line is completely normal (and perhaps inevitable). I don't have a photo to show the link lines but they look exactly like yours.

P.S. can you please post a photo of your purse? The caviar this season appears to be quite matte. I am wondering if mine is too matte.

IMG_7621.jpg

Hi Elsa,
I'll post a photo of my bag when I get home as I'm at work right now. The caviar is not shiny but I wouldn't call it very matte by any means. There was a previous season where the caviar was very matte and this is not like that. I actually bought a bag that season and returned it because I didn't like the look of the caviar. In any event, I will try and post a photo later.

Reactions: Elsa2006
Hi Elsa,
I'll post a photo of my bag when I get home as I'm at work right now. The caviar is not shiny but I wouldn't call it very matte by any means. There was a previous season where the caviar was very matte and this is not like that. I actually bought a bag that season and returned it because I didn't like the look of the caviar. In any event, I will try and post a photo later.
Thanks!
Attaching a photo of my boy to show what I mean by "matte".
IMG_7630.jpg

Hi Elsa,
I too am new to Chanel but if I understand correctly, other than 2014, the caviar on boys is "matte" in comparison to CFs. I am referencing my CF when I say it's "very matte". The caviar on my CF is on the "shinier" side, I would say.

IMG_6256.JPG

Here are photos of my bag. The caviar is definitely more matte in comparison to my classics which are very lustrous and shiny in comparison. I am still on the fence about this boy bag but its due to the hardware and the lightness thereof rather than the sheen/quality of the caviar leather.

Attachments

• IMG_2581.JPG
    IMG_2581.JPG
    280.4 KB · Views: 1,778
  • IMG_2583.JPG
    IMG_2583.JPG
    292.7 KB · Views: 2,338
Reactions: JazzyMac
Here are photos of my bag. The caviar is definitely more matte in comparison to my classics which are very lustrous and shiny in comparison. I am still on the fence about this boy bag but its due to the hardware and the lightness thereof rather than the sheen/quality of the caviar leather.
Your boy looks exactly like mine. I am on the fence as well. I don't mind the matte caviar on 17A boy since I want to use this one for casual wear but I am concerned that the gold hardware fade overtime.

What are you leaning towards? If you don't mine me asking. I'm set to receive my small boy soon too :sad:(
When I asked my husband's opinion, he said he really likes the boy (he calls my CF the "granny" bag) and he especially likes how the leather is not "shiny or too bumpy [pebble-y/grainy]", and the how the chain is "prominent but not flashy". I have come to like the matte caviar after a few days and waiting to see if I like the chain. My husband's enthusiastic review is convincing me to keep me.

Is your small boy in black caviar, GHW? I am short (5 ft) and very petite, I am wondering if the small may be better for my frame. I like that the medium gives me the space I need for casual wear, but is perhaps its a overwhelming on my frame due to how boxy/structured/wide it is.

Reactions: Cclover2013
I also just got my boy in caviar and ghw this week from Chanel Cambon. Got the small and I love it!! The medium would be more practical size wise, but I just love how the small look...!! I'm 163cm :smile: here's a photo of how it looks on me:
View media item 2838
Funny how my husband said the same about the leather and chain haha, he said he doesn't like the shine on classic flap caviar.. (I love it though and wouldn't mind a boy bag with that finish!) :P

I also just got my boy in caviar and ghw this week from Chanel Cambon. Got the small and I love it!! The medium would be more practical size wise, but I just love how the small look...!! I'm 163cm :smile: here's a photo of how it looks on me:
View media item 2838
Funny how my husband said the same about the leather and chain haha, he said he doesn't like the shine on classic flap caviar.. (I love it though and wouldn't mind a boy bag with that finish!) :P

The small boy looks fantastic on your frame!!

My initial thought was to use the medium boy for casual wear. The small boy would not be able to hold my essentials but would look more proportionate on my frame (the medium boy makes me look even smaller). Decisions, decisions.

The leather and GHW is the same as the medium? Can you please post a closeup of your small boy?