Chanel camera bag or LV pochette metis for a mommy of little ones?

Vintage Chanel camera bag or the LV empreinte metis?

• Chanel camera bag

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • LV pochette metis

Votes: 19 67.9%

• Total voters
Dec 11, 2006
As a mom of a two year old and another on the way, I'm looking for a good medium size crossbody bag.

A lot of people recommend the LV pochette metis, for which I favor the empreinte leather. However, this Chanel camera bag in caviar leather seems as durable and similar size although with one compartment rather than three.

Which would you pick? I think the Chanel would be more timeless.

IMG_0141.JPG
IMG_1474.JPG

the camera bag is a LOT more durable than the metis, especially b/c it is a rigid caviar leather vs the softer empriente leather on the LV. i also agree that the camera bag is more timeless. however, if you plan on carrying a lot of items, the chain on the camera bag can make is less comfortable than the metis. they're both gorgeous bags. good luck deciding :smile:

AS a mom with young kid, I would prefer the Pochette Metis. I favor the Monogram more though coz it is lighter and you can really be rough with it and not bother.
Depends on what you intend to put in it. I suppose the Chanel chain can be quite taxing on your shoulders if it gets heavy.

This camera bag is gorgeous! I have a Pochette Metis and a similar camera bag although not in Caviar. I have three children. Although I am partial to Chanel I must say that the compartments in the Pochette Metis are very useful especially while running around with the LOs (eg goldfish cracker packet in one compartment, wallet in another). I must say though with carrying a diaper bag now with our newest addition, I usually just use a WOC which I put into the diaper bag and rarely use either of the others (and so my point would be to get the bag you like more since you will also likely be carrying around a diaper bag for the kiddos stuff). This is a really beautiful camera case!

I prefer the camera bag which has the zipper - easier access esp when holding child or child's hand. I recall trying a similar bag in lv store (same clasp but diff bag) and it couldn't close it even with two hands. As a mum of 2 myself, I choose bags that can 1) be worn crossbody AND 2) be accessed to open and close with one hand.
I also prefer chanel in general over lv [emoji12]

the camera bag is a LOT more durable than the metis, especially b/c it is a rigid caviar leather vs the softer empriente leather on the LV. i also agree that the camera bag is more timeless. however, if you plan on carrying a lot of items, the chain on the camera bag can make is less comfortable than the metis. they're both gorgeous bags. good luck deciding :smile:

AS a mom with young kid, I would prefer the Pochette Metis. I favor the Monogram more though coz it is lighter and you can really be rough with it and not bother.
Depends on what you intend to put in it. I suppose the Chanel chain can be quite taxing on your shoulders if it gets heavy.

Hmm good point! I did not think about the chain aspect! My jumbos don't bother me though so I don't think I would carry more than that since capacity is about the same.

The canvas is definitely lighter but what about the vachetta handle? Do you wrap it with a bandeau like many do?

This camera bag is gorgeous! I have a Pochette Metis and a similar camera bag although not in Caviar. I have three children. Although I am partial to Chanel I must say that the compartments in the Pochette Metis are very useful especially while running around with the LOs (eg goldfish cracker packet in one compartment, wallet in another). I must say though with carrying a diaper bag now with our newest addition, I usually just use a WOC which I put into the diaper bag and rarely use either of the others (and so my point would be to get the bag you like more since you will also likely be carrying around a diaper bag for the kiddos stuff). This is a really beautiful camera case!

Thank you! Yes I haven't really found a vintage camera case in such good condition, and caviar is harder to find in vintage.

Currently, we use a diaper backpack with my two year old for her miscellaneous things. I have carried a WOC when out with her but find it annoying to switch things from my regular wallet and can't fit anything more than cards, cash, and phone, not even my keys which are in a pouch. Do you switch back and forth into a WOC or is your WOC also your wallet?

I like the Chanel because of the zipper, and yes, it's more timeless.

I prefer the camera bag which has the zipper - easier access esp when holding child or child's hand. I recall trying a similar bag in lv store (same clasp but diff bag) and it couldn't close it even with two hands. As a mum of 2 myself, I choose bags that can 1) be worn crossbody AND 2) be accessed to open and close with one hand.
I also prefer chanel in general over lv [emoji12]

Thanks!! I do think the zip top would be easier to get in and out of. I had trouble with the LV clasp in the store a couple times. I thought I just had to get used to it but now others here on tpf who own the bag say they have trouble as well.

May I ask what bags you use that fit such criteria (they are mine too)?

Thanks!! I do think the zip top would be easier to get in and out of. I had trouble with the LV clasp in the store a couple times. I thought I just had to get used to it but now others here on tpf who own the bag say they have trouble as well.

May I ask what bags you use that fit such criteria (they are mine too)?

Yea the LV clasp was what turned me off the bag when I was trying it in store. Can't even close with two hands is a no no!

Other crossbody bags I recommend (from my own collection) - celine trio (if you are looking for compartments), Rebecca minkoff mini MAC, Michael kors Selma, Chanel mini (square or rect depending on your preference), chanel reissue, Prada mini saffiano tote

Chanel reissue camera is next on my list [emoji28]

Yea the LV clasp was what turned me off the bag when I was trying it in store. Can't even close with two hands is a no no!

Other crossbody bags I recommend (from my own collection) - celine trio (if you are looking for compartments), Rebecca minkoff mini MAC, Michael kors Selma, Chanel mini (square or rect depending on your preference), chanel reissue, Prada mini saffiano tote

Chanel reissue camera is next on my list [emoji28]

Ohh I just realized you answered this already in my other thread! Sorry for asking you to address again!

I know you didn't mention the Gucci Soho Disco but have you considered it? I have several crossbody bags and the Gucci is my favorite with kids. It's so durable, soft, holds a ton and most important is lightweight! Plus since it costs much less than my other designer bags I am less precious with it.

Oh but if I had to pick I'd get the Chanel. I like the PM in the monogram as it is lighter (weight of bags has become a concern with me as I am out all day with the kids).

Last edited:
Hmm good point! I did not think about the chain aspect! My jumbos don't bother me though so I don't think I would carry more than that since capacity is about the same.

The canvas is definitely lighter but what about the vachetta handle? Do you wrap it with a bandeau like many do?

You can wrap it ard the handle .. and it will indeed look Chic with it! ^^
Though i hv given up on LV a long time ago. . But i do like their Metis. But bare in mind, the monogram is very low in stocks.. not sure if itz phasing out or itz just oos all the time! Otherwise, grab the WOC or a Mini Flap. .. these are the real grab n go bags. . Super easy with kids. But u need to hv another bigger bag for practical nappy change & wet tissue purposes.

I know you didn't mention the Gucci Soho Disco but have you considered it? I have several crossbody bags and the Gucci is my favorite with kids. It's so durable, soft, holds a ton and most important is lightweight! Plus since it costs much less than my other designer bags I am less precious with it.

Oh but if I had to pick I'd get the Chanel. I like the PM in the monogram as it is lighter (weight of bags has become a concern with me as I am out all day with the kids).

Thanks! Somehow I thought it was smaller than it is as I look as it again. It is easier on the wallet though!

You can wrap it ard the handle .. and it will indeed look Chic with it! ^^
Though i hv given up on LV a long time ago. . But i do like their Metis. But bare in mind, the monogram is very low in stocks.. not sure if itz phasing out or itz just oos all the time! Otherwise, grab the WOC or a Mini Flap. .. these are the real grab n go bags. . Super easy with kids. But u need to hv another bigger bag for practical nappy change & wet tissue purposes.

I have two WOCs but actually thinking to sell one to help fund a cross body as I rarely use them. I don't find I can carry more than cards, ID, cash, and my phone. I'm afraid of stretching it out. Also not fond of switching into it from a regular wallet for weekend and then back again during the week for work.

I do keep a separate diaper bag for my daughter's things right now but may have to reconsider with two kids.