Mommy Dead and Dearest (May 13 10:00 on HBO)

Ok, I first thought "this is too sad, I can't watch" thinking it was about a sick child, then I read up on it--wow, weird! I'm now watching, thanks for the heads up.

I wasn't sure how much I wanted to reveal about this when I posted it because there's such a twist to the story, but this isn't another one of those documentaries about someone killing their mother. (If it was just about that I wouldn't have wanted to watch it, either. One of the Canadian crime channels airs a series called Killer Kids. I have never watched an episode.)

From Cosmo:
Dee Dee and Gypsy were a seemingly sweet mother-daughter combo. They lived in a small pink house that was built for them by Habitat for Humanity. That's because Gypsy had a variety of illnesses that she lived with since birth that left her pale, skinny, and confined to a wheelchair. Her mother Dee Dee was her faithful caretaker, making sure she took all her medications and went to her myriad of doctor's appointments. Even though Gypsy was 19, Dee Dee said she had the brain of a 7-year-old and needed full-time attention.

Then a weird message turns up on Dee Dee's Facebook page. Dee Dee is dead and Gypsy is missing.
She wasn't sick, she never had been and she's actually 23.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/lifesty...y-mother-daughter-murder-munchausen-by-proxy/

That's all I'm going to reveal, There's a great piece on Buzzfeed that tells the whole story:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/michellede...nted-her-mom?utm_term=.mmJavAZDeM#.ooYV9qekX4

So many questions!!!

How could her mother fake so many doctors?!?! There is a really good book I read years ago called Sickened about a woman who's mother did the same to her. She was taught that match sticks were candy.

How could Gypsy leave the house alone to get those outfits she took the "sexy" pics for the boyfriend?

How did her father not get more involved and not know there was nothing wrong with his daughter.

Was she always in the wheelchair? The clip of her jumping in the snow was in the front of the house where everyone can see?

Reactions: Heart Star
So many questions!!!

How could her mother fake so many doctors?!?! There is a really good book I read years ago called Sickened about a woman who's mother did the same to her. She was taught that match sticks were candy.

How could Gypsy leave the house alone to get those outfits she took the "sexy" pics for the boyfriend?

How did her father not get more involved and not know there was nothing wrong with his daughter.

Was she always in the wheelchair? The clip of her jumping in the snow was in the front of the house where everyone can see?

I agree, the documentary left so many unanswered questions.

So many questions!!!

I thought about this part too... she didn't really use her legs in this part though. And when she was on the ground, she used her hands to lift her legs to turn around...:hrmm: