Who Here Collects/Wears Vintage Dior?

Apr 22, 2013
I just was wondering how many people here collect/still purchase, or frequently wear vintage Dior? I collect 'vintage' Dior bags and love them.

And in line with that, where do we draw the line with what we call vintage?

I have started calling most Galliano era bags vintage at this point, even though he was actually with Dior up until early 2011. My collection is mostly from the 2000s but I have some older bags and SLGs from the 80s and 90s as well.

I know we have the reference library here, but when I go there to look up a bag sometimes I find that the photos for the bag are no longer able to show up. I also looked and there aren't really any threads from the last few years dedicated to people showing off vintage bags - perhaps if there is interest one could be started?

I just was wondering how many people here collect/still purchase, or frequently wear vintage Dior? I collect 'vintage' Dior bags and love them.

And in line with that, where do we draw the line with what we call vintage?

I have started calling most Galliano era bags vintage at this point, even though he was actually with Dior up until early 2011. My collection is mostly from the 2000s but I have some older bags and SLGs from the 80s and 90s as well.

I know we have the reference library here, but when I go there to look up a bag sometimes I find that the photos for the bag are no longer able to show up. I also looked and there aren't really any threads from the last few years dedicated to people showing off vintage bags - perhaps if there is interest one could be started?
I have some Dior Homme bags from the past, and my mom has some Dior bags from Galliano's time, namely the Dior Buckle, Dior Gaucho, Dior Panarea, and Dior Charming Lock. I personally don't consider them vintage but the word vintage is now applied liberally to things, and has become a subjective word. So I understand what you mean. Sometimes those Galliano pieces are referred to as vintage here.

Fashion is meant to be fun so whatever people want to call past pieces is fine, in my opinion. Otherwise it gets too serious.

Reactions: Bagatha Christie
Is this considered vintage? bought it in 2007.... I love it and i'm still wearing it, though not regularly. The leather on this gaucho saddle bag is amazing!
View attachment 3700943
I personally wouldn't consider this vintage, although its styling is "vintage" and has been purposefully aged by washing and waxing the leather to give it that antique look. One of the nicest leathers that Dior has ever made in my opinion.

I totally agree with you @averagejoe - fashion should most definitely be fun. It is really hard to call something from 2007 vintage (it makes me feel too old!! haha!). But more and more I have been finding people calling most things from before Raf Simons vintage, so I guess I have just been going along with it myself for communicative ease. Was curious if other people had noticed the same, and if people were still rocking their 'vintage' pieces with any regularity.

Loved hearing about/seeing your well aged pieces, and I feel like so many Diors age so beautifully. I get such a kick out of mine and enjoy them daily. I wear a Pair of Dior flats almost every day - I have a huge obsession with the Western Ball python flats that came out around the time the Gauchos did and I own about 5 pairs of them. You can often find them insanely affordably, and they are just so comfortable! I have been wearing the cream colored flats because I just picked up this New Lock beauty from 2009 (although I know it is still a rather current style) and have been enjoying wearing them together.

NewLock.jpg

& You would not believe the deal I got on this either!

I totally agree with you @averagejoe - fashion should most definitely be fun. It is really hard to call something from 2007 vintage (it makes me feel too old!! haha!). But more and more I have been finding people calling most things from before Raf Simons vintage, so I guess I have just been going along with it myself for communicative ease. Was curious if other people had noticed the same, and if people were still rocking their 'vintage' pieces with any regularity.

Loved hearing about/seeing your well aged pieces, and I feel like so many Diors age so beautifully. I get such a kick out of mine and enjoy them daily. I wear a Pair of Dior flats almost every day - I have a huge obsession with the Western Ball python flats that came out around the time the Gauchos did and I own about 5 pairs of them. You can often find them insanely affordably, and they are just so comfortable! I have been wearing the cream colored flats because I just picked up this New Lock beauty from 2009 (although I know it is still a rather current style) and have been enjoying wearing them together.

View attachment 3701294

& You would not believe the deal I got on this either!
Yeah older Dior pieces can be had for great prices, so you can get a high quality bag for really cheap on the resale market (as long as it is authenticated before hand).

I was a Dior SA when I was in college and I am so attached to the bags I was selling at the time. I loved the vintage bags that women would bring in to restore as well. I couldn't afford to purchase anything then, (sadly I never used my employee discount) but now I'm always on eBay hunting for those styles! eBay hunting for Dior is SO fun [emoji18]

Definitely not vintage, but one of my favorite bags was the Granville and I've seen only a handful of posts, never mind reference images, on them. One of the best designs imo!

Ahhhh!! @NAAN I can only imagine how fun that must have been - I think it would have felt like going to a playground every day haha! I can imagine too how much you got to learn about the brand working there, and that you probably have some fun stories to tell. :smile:

I am very attached to the bags that came out during the 2000s as well. I was in college back then too and had moved from a small town to the big city, and I remember fondly strolling down the street where all the boutiques were and I always loved to go into Dior. It was always a bit like entering into a fantasy land (although I was always quickly brought back down to earth by the eye-popping price tags lol!). It is funny you mention the Granville too, because I was just looking at one the other day with the large cannage stitching in a lovely gray - it is such a beautiful bag.

Now it is almost confounding how many of those beautiful bags are selling for so little on the second hand market, but it is always quite amazing to scour ebay and find one of those astounding deals - and I have been lucky enough to have found numerous of them over the years. Of course @averagejoe is quite correct, that if you are not secure in authenticating something you should always get a second opinion. Haha and its coincidental too that you mention that @averagejoe because I was just about to post a listing for a New Lock color block pouch to be authenticated which has an inner tag I am not used to seeing.

I'm not sure it you'd say 'collect'. I collect vintage and I also have some Dior from way back. The vintage (1956) shoes don't fit me as they're tiny.

I still have my little plain black leather saddle bag (they've just come-up in value again). I have never felt it was passe to use it.

I also have these 1956 Roger Vivier for Dior shoes (apologies for stupid effects and large photo size).

greybag50s1_zpsateddsje.jpg

and I still have these from ages ago (200?)

greybag00s_zps2ng5zr95.jpg

I also have a killer Dior (Galliano) corset dress

I'm not sure it you'd say 'collect'. I collect vintage and I also have some Dior from way back. The vintage (1956) shoes don't fit me as they're tiny.

I still have my little plain black leather saddle bag (they've just come-up in value again). I have never felt it was passe to use it.

I also have these 1956 Roger Vivier for Dior shoes (apologies for stupid effects and large photo size).

greybag50s1_zpsateddsje.jpg

and I still have these from ages ago (200?)

greybag00s_zps2ng5zr95.jpg

I also have a killer Dior (Galliano) corset dress
Oh the Gaucho platform sandals!!! They are nice and so easy to wear.

Reactions: papertiger
I am very attached to the bags that came out during the 2000s as well. I was in college back then too and had moved from a small town to the big city, and I remember fondly strolling down the street where all the boutiques were and I always loved to go into Dior. It was always a bit like entering into a fantasy land (although I was always quickly brought back down to earth by the eye-popping price tags lol!). It is funny you mention the Granville too, because I was just looking at one the other day with the large cannage stitching in a lovely gray - it is such a beautiful bag.
Yeah those designs from the 2000s is what got me to love Dior. The Street Chic, Saddle, Gambler, Latest Blonde, Hardcore, and Detective were some of my favourite designs back then. I still love them, especially the Detective and Gambler. They were part of my youth too so this makes them extra special.