HELP! What's Wrong With My Bag!?

May 12, 2006
Ok, BV ladies...please help! I purchased this adorable bag from Fashionphile back in April. I literally just got around to cutting the tags off to carry it today. While out in the sun I noticed that a section of the bag looks shiny...while the rest is matte. The shiny part also feels sticky!?! Fashionphile listed this bag in EXCELLENT condition and made no note of the shiny/stickiness. When I called the girl was SO not helpful, and really could care less.[emoji58] It seems to me like whoever owned the bag perhaps tried to clean it with something? I don't know...just seems odd that this would be a "natural" occurrence in the leather considering the shiny/sticky is in very specific areas.

*I used the flash so you could see it reflect off the shiny area. There is a distinct "line" on the top flap where the top part is matte and the other is shiny. IMG_1494897827.174749.jpgIMG_1494897840.184525.jpg

Thoughts!? Anyone!?![emoji30][emoji24][emoji1317]
Whatever conditioning/cleaning lotion was put on this bag needs to be removed by a professional - please contact Modern Leather out of NYC to have them clean the bag. That's the only suggestion I have. Modern Leather's web site is: http://www.modernleathergoods.com/ They do BV's repair work, and many of us have used their services happily.
ETA: If you are on Facebook, like their page - they are having a special bag cleaning thing and a discount...

Last edited:
Whatever conditioning/cleaning lotion was put on this bag needs to be removed by a professional - please contact Modern Leather out of NYC to have them clean the bag. That's the only suggestion I have. Modern Leather's web site is: http://www.modernleathergoods.com/ They do BV's repair work, and many of us have used their services happily.
ETA: If you are on Facebook, like their page - they are having a special bag cleaning thing and a discount...

Do you think that's what happened!? BV is one of the few designer handbags that I know very little about. In terms of their leathers and finishes. I own a BV key fob and that's it. I'm actually going to send the bag back to Fashionphile and try my hardest to get my full refund due to lack of full disclosure. I would never have purchased this bag had that been disclosed.

Is it possible that this is a special treatment on the leather? google images of Bottega Veneta crossbody ombre.

OMG! BV_fan, you hit the nail on the head! This is an ombre treatment bag! What led me to think it had been treated with some type of liquid was missjenny2679's idea of it being sticky...

Do you think that's what happened!? BV is one of the few designer handbags that I know very little about. In terms of their leathers and finishes. I own a BV key fob and that's it. I'm actually going to send the bag back to Fashionphile and try my hardest to get my full refund due to lack of full disclosure. I would never have purchased this bag had that been disclosed.

See above! Outside of the 'sticky' part, this bag is supposed to be like this - the ombre color treatment - once you look at a few of them on Google images, you'll see this is a perfect example. Can you use a dampened cloth to remove the 'sticky'? Or is it that it feels different from the matt part of the leather?

Reactions: missjenny2679
Also, here was the description/write up on the bag from the Fashionphile site. No mention of a special treatment...which is why I was so thrown off by the stickiness of what I now know is patent leather! Perhaps the fact that I live in IL and it was humid yesterday that caused the patent to feel sticky[emoji848] I tried so hard to google and search TPF BV section to try and find information on this bag, and found nothing! Once you gals properly ID the style I found images instantly![emoji173]️ Is 2010 even the correct year for this bag?View attachment 3700547View attachment 3700549

Also, here was the description/write up on the bag from the Fashionphile site. No mention of a special treatment...which is why I was so thrown off by the stickiness of what I now know is patent leather! Perhaps the fact that I live in IL and it was humid yesterday that caused the patent to feel sticky[emoji848] I tried so hard to google and search TPF BV section to try and find information on this bag, and found nothing! Once you gals properly ID the style I found images instantly![emoji173]️ Is 2010 even the correct year for this bag?View attachment 3700547View attachment 3700549

Yes![emoji847]

Can you provide a photo of the front/back of the authenticity tag - we may be able to give you a general year based on that.

OH! I'm glad you recovered it from Fedex. Yes, I can understand how patent leather would feel in high humidity. I myself have never cared for that treatment. :smile:

Reactions: missjenny2679