Caring for different calfskin items.

I used hair serum or hair finishing oil to recondition and resheen an aged black calfskin 224 reissue that had gone dull & dry with time. I have also used it on a navy vintage lizard classic flap and a black crocodile classic flap. It works a treat, use it sparingly though. Elvive extraordinary oil & Garnier ultimate blends sleep perfector oil were the specific brands. I would say the Garnier is better. I have been using this on my leather items for 15 plus years, but only recently on my Chanel bags.

After doing a search on tPF, I found few threads on leather care; however, they were discussing mostly lambskin and reissue (aged/glazed) calfskin. I have a non-glazed, smooth calfskin boy (pic attached) and I'm looking for a conditioning/cleaning/"waterproofing" product to use on this particular leather. Mainly, I'd like to moisture and clean the leather (and if the product also helps water roll off the bag more easily, making it less vulnerable in drizzling/light rain, that would be perfect).

From what I found in the existing threads, people have used the following brands:

Meltonian
Cadillac
Collonil

Has anyone used any of those products on their calfskin bags? I'd love to hear your experiences,and please feel free to suggest other brands that you may be using. I also have a caviar CF and hope to use this same product to clean/condition it.

Thanks so much for your help! [emoji4]

IMG_1483936932.302719.jpg

After doing a search on tPF, I found few threads on leather care; however, they were discussing mostly lambskin and reissue (aged/glazed) calfskin. I have a non-glazed, smooth calfskin boy (pic attached) and I'm looking for a conditioning/cleaning/"waterproofing" product to use on this particular leather. Mainly, I'd like to moisture and clean the leather (and if the product also helps water roll off the bag more easily, making it less vulnerable in drizzling/light rain, that would be perfect).

From what I found in the existing threads, people have used the following brands:

Meltonian
Cadillac
Collonil

Has anyone used any of those products on their calfskin bags? I'd love to hear your experiences,and please feel free to suggest other brands that you may be using. I also have a caviar CF and hope to use this same product to clean/condition it.

Thanks so much for your help! [emoji4]

View attachment 3569201

I use Saphir Renovateur for all of my Chanel bags. I also use their waterproof spray, but I have used Vectra water repellent spray previously and had no problems.

Reactions: Christofle
I use horse tack leather cleaner and conditioners lol. I've used belvoir and also Antares conditioner which I got for free when I purchased a saddle from them a couple years ago. They work very well. I had some black marks on my LV vachetta and the marks went away. My saddle is buffalo and calf. Don't use a lot of the product as it is very rich.

Hi,
Sorry for late reply. I used it on my few lambskin and caviar bags, only my black jumbo lambskin color does come out a bit (light stain on the cleaning cloth). Dont know why. Hope this helps. [emoji4]

The médaille d'or saphir rénovateur is the high end line with all natural products. The bottle is slightly different: as pictured.

So I finally got my hands on this Saphir product and treated my calfskin chevron yesterday. My boy was about 7 months old and I use it regularly. The calfskin hasn't cracked or anything but it looked slightly (just slightly) dry as if it needed some moisturizer so I decided to get the Saphir product to treat the bag. I just wanna share some photos so people can see what the leather looks like before & after the treatment.

I used an old cotton t-shirt to apply the cream and i started by putting a dime size on the cloth (NOT directly on the bag) and let it absorb into the cloth a little bit before gently (but firmly) massaging the cream into the leather in circular motion, trying to expand the size of the massaging 'circle' until it covered the whole area. I was very careful - I tested it on half of the inside flap first and left it overnight to see what it looked like the next day. And everything was fine, no adverse reaction :smile:

Here are two photos comparing treated sections (top) vs untreated (bottom). The difference was rather subtle. I had to find the right angle to capture these pictures so you can see the difference. The treated side appeared much blacker and moisturized.
IMG_1494201667.321140.jpg
IMG_1494201687.553527.jpg

I was also very happy to see that some of the minor scratches on the inside of the flap (from getting a wallet in and out) were gone after the polishing.

Before (scratches circled):
IMG_1494201877.499477.jpg

After: good as new!
IMG_1494201903.969181.jpg

I'm planning to leave the boy untouched for a week before using it again. The Saphir is slightly smelly (not bad, I just dont like that kinda smell). Next weekend, I'll try to polish my caviar CF although doesnt look like it needs any, but hey I went through hoops trying to get the Saphir stuff, might as well try it on the caviar too haha.

Just to note, I have tried Saphir rénovateur on my light colored (coral) calfskin and unfortunately, it stained my leather. I thought the stain would dry but it never did. :doh: I messaged the guys at the hangerproject but they didn't reply to me at all (speaking of customer service). At the end, it looks like color transfer but it was from the application of the rénovateur. lesson learnt, never apply that on light colored calfskin. Now I'm scared to buy any light colored leather bags :confused1:

Just to note, I have tried Saphir rénovateur on my light colored (coral) calfskin and unfortunately, it stained my leather. I thought the stain would dry but it never did. :doh: I messaged the guys at the hangerproject but they didn't reply to me at all (speaking of customer service). At the end, it looks like color transfer but it was from the application of the rénovateur. lesson learnt, never apply that on light colored calfskin. Now I'm scared to buy any light colored leather bags :confused1:

What does the stain look like? Haven't had that issue with my light coloured shoes, which is why I'm asking.