Item that was supposed to have been cancelled sold, but was already sold locally?

klb4556

O.G.
May 18, 2009
I have been a seller for a while, and just sell personal items no longer in use, not a huge deal of experience. But I had cancelled ( or thought I ended the item) and sold the item in a local group, and just tonight logged into my email to find they had sold, but buyer has not yet paid.

I messaged the buyer with a profuse apology and explained to them what happened, do I go ahead and cancel the order now or wait until the buyer responds?

Am I going to be in trouble with ebay for this? what are the penalties here? thanks...

You already messaged the buyer so I'd just go ahead and cancel the sale. If this doesn't happen on a regular basis, I don't think you're going to be in trouble with Ebay (at least I have never been for the few times that this happened to me). If buyer hasn't paid yet, I don't think (s)he can leave feedback.

You'll get a ding on your account for a cancellation for an "out of stock" item but if it's the only time it happened, it's not a big deal.

You'll get a ding on your account for a cancellation for an "out of stock" item but if it's the only time it happened, it's not a big deal.

Yes, it's the only time. What do you mean by ding. Sorry, not familiar with all the workings of ebay, thanks

I wouldn't worry too much. One ding doesn't hurt you. It's when you get a lot of dings that they start putting limits on your account.
A ding is a black mark indicating an infraction, a mistake of some sort that was the fault of the seller.

Unless the violation is extreme, a single ding for an unavailable item rarely results in more than a warning. As long as you don't habitually "sell" items you don't have, you won't have a problem.

thank you all!! it turned out pretty good, the buyer was understanding and agreed that "mistakes happen" and told me to take care, I think all will be okay.

I will admit I panicked because I have never done that before and really hate doing people wrong.

thank you all!! it turned out pretty good, the buyer was understanding and agreed that "mistakes happen" and told me to take care, I think all will be okay.

I will admit I panicked because I have never done that before and really hate doing people wrong.

So glad your buyer was understanding and that it worked out for you. :smile:

I just recently sold a bag; but the buyer hadnt paid yet. The buyer asked if I had the box to go with it and that if I could send it out the same day. As I was looking at the bag, I noticed that I was over-charged $100 for this bag. The receipt said one thing and my credit card receipt said another. (I don't know why I never noticed this before.) I contacted the buyer to give me a day to resolve my issue. He wanted it right away as he needed it the next day. He was willing to pay the extra postage.

Well it turns out I resolved my issue within hours. So I contacted my buyer. He told me his wife bought another bag and that they were no longer interested.

So I therefore had to cancel the transaction and the only option i was given was: item out of stock or item damaged. So I chose out of stock so now I have a "ding" lol on my account and because of this I haven't relisted the bag.

Last edited:
I have been a seller for a while, and just sell personal items no longer in use, not a huge deal of experience. But I had cancelled ( or thought I ended the item) and sold the item in a local group, and just tonight logged into my email to find they had sold, but buyer has not yet paid.

I messaged the buyer with a profuse apology and explained to them what happened, do I go ahead and cancel the order now or wait until the buyer responds?

Am I going to be in trouble with ebay for this? what are the penalties here? thanks...

This has happened to me before as well. Every item that was marked "unavailable / Not for Sale" became available for sale. I had to go back through and correct them. It happened again later, resulting in a sale that I had to cancel and get dinged for. And another time my vacation hold on my closet canceled early. Posh has a lot of issues it needs to work out.