Post Paris Purchase - keeping your new bag safe until flying home.

Dec 15, 2012
Hi all: This may be a dumb question but due to experience, I had to ask - (did not see any other threads). I am headed to Paris in late May and am excited to visit FSH and try my luck. How do you keep your bag safe until departing France? Are others using them until you leave?

My inquiry is based on a trip I took over 15 years ago to Paris in which I purchased a bag at Chanel. It was stolen out of my hotel room and now I am extremely paranoid. I was fortunate to get the hotel's insurance to cover it after numerous phone calls and emails.

If I am fortunate enough to purchase an Hermes bag of my choice in Paris (or other goodies), I am thinking of either locking it in my suitcase in my room or having the store keep it until I leave.

Your experience? Thanks in advanced.

Hi all: This may be a dumb question but due to experience, I had to ask - (did not see any other threads). I am headed to Paris in late May and am excited to visit FSH and try my luck. How do you keep your bag safe until departing France? Are others using them until you leave?

My inquiry is based on a trip I took over 15 years ago to Paris in which I purchased a bag at Chanel. It was stolen out of my hotel room and now I am extremely paranoid. I was fortunate to get the hotel's insurance to cover it after numerous phone calls and emails.

If I am fortunate enough to purchase an Hermes bag of my choice in Paris (or other goodies), I am thinking of either locking it in my suitcase in my room or having the store keep it until I leave.

I've done 2 things in the past:
1) lock in in my Tumi suitcase (mine has the embedded lock), leave in closet
2) have concierge/front desk store it in hotel safe (not the room safe)

Some people have had items stolen using #1. I have not and it has always worked for me. One time DH insisted on using #2 - and that was totally fine too. My worry with #2 would be someone getting a fake and switching it out... but that was me being paranoid. I would use hotel safe again.

Either way, take photos of your bag, date stamp, receipts, etc.

Good Luck at FSH!

Reactions: klynneann
I've done 2 things in the past:
1) lock in in my Tumi suitcase (mine has the embedded lock), leave in closet
2) have concierge/front desk store it in hotel safe (not the room safe)

Some people have had items stolen using #1. I have not and it has always worked for me. One time DH insisted on using #2 - and that was totally fine too. My worry with #2 would be someone getting a fake and switching it out... but that was me being paranoid. I would use hotel safe again.

Either way, take photos of your bag, date stamp, receipts, etc.

Good Luck at FSH!

Thank you so much Txoceangirl. Very helpful. I was always wondering how everyone kept their luxury purchases safe and sound. It was never an issue until I started really getting into luxury purchases later in life.

I do not believe the store will hold items you have purchased in person for later pick up, but those more knowledgeable may chime in here. When I was fortunate enough to purchase a purse, it was delivered to my hotel, and the concierge had a record of receipt, as well as info on the package being delivered up to my room. Keeping small items locked in your suitcase is a good idea as well. Good luck!

Reactions: periogirl28
I do not believe the store will hold items you have purchased in person for later pick up, but those more knowledgeable may chime in here. When I was fortunate enough to purchase a purse, it was delivered to my hotel, and the concierge had a record of receipt, as well as info on the package being delivered up to my room. Keeping small items locked in your suitcase is a good idea as well. Good luck!
Thank you Scarf and Glove. I have a feeling H will not hold a purchase for safe keeping. At Chanel all those years ago, I purchased a replacement after the original bag was stolen from my room, and they agreed to keep it at their store until I left France. Thank you for your advice.

I keep my shopping goodies of value locked in my suitcase in the closet. Haven't had a problem though I know there are those skeptical about it. Nothing fits in the room safe except my jewelry, really.

Have never asked about the hotel safe - I am usually at small hotels so not sure I would feel comfortable asking. Maybe I should give it a shot.

One of my biggest fears is walking out of the H store with a large H box! Do you guys ever feel nervous knowing that you might get robbed on the way to the hotel?

One of my biggest fears is walking out of the H store with a large H box! Do you guys ever feel nervous knowing that you might get robbed on the way to the hotel?

Some days i just ask for a discreet white paper bag instead of an orange bag.

I always hop on to the cab immediately to return to hotel and lock my purchases in my luggage. I find it tiring to walk around the city with a huge paper bag.

I usually ship the box back, so once I do that, I leave the bag inside my suitcase, if it fits. I am carry on only, and last time I bought a B35, which did not fit. I left it in the shopping bag, and put the bag behind my suitcase in the closet, with some clothes piled on top of it. Eventually I bought a Longchamp to transport it home and I put the bag in that, and also put some clothes on top. One consequence of the sad events in Paris over the past few years is more security getting into hotels. I think random break-ins are less likely.

I keep my shopping goodies of value locked in my suitcase in the closet. Haven't had a problem though I know there are those skeptical about it. Nothing fits in the room safe except my jewelry, really.

Have never asked about the hotel safe - I am usually at small hotels so not sure I would feel comfortable asking. Maybe I should give it a shot.

Thank you Luvbolide. My theft experience with the Chanel obviously involved the hotel's cleaning staff. At that time, the door locks were electronic with cardkeys so they had tracking records. I was with my mother on that trip and both of our Chanel handbags were taken on the same day - we were on a day trip. We spent 5 hours in a French Police Station filing a report. Luckily, we knew someone at home that spoke fluent French and she helped us with a written explanation that was faxed over. What a pain and a valuable lesson. Obviously these handbags were a lot less money than H. It took almost 1 year of calls and emails to get reimbursed.

Thank you Luvbolide. My theft experience with the Chanel obviously involved the hotel's cleaning staff. At that time, the door locks were electronic with cardkeys so they had tracking records. I was with my mother on that trip and both of our Chanel handbags were taken on the same day - we were on a day trip. We spent 5 hours in a French Police Station filing a report. Luckily, we knew someone at home that spoke fluent French and she helped us with a written explanation that was faxed over. What a pain and a valuable lesson. Obviously these handbags were a lot less money than H. It took almost 1 year of calls and emails to get reimbursed.

Forgot to mention, after the hotel mgmt. interviewed the cleaning crew, of course no one admitted to taking the items - even though they were the only ones that had access to our rooms.

Never had an issue I find paris to be VERY safe. You can even request a bag without the Hermes logo. Just a simple paper bag, but they don't fit a B35. I have been renting the same apartment for years, so no one other than me has access to the place. But I usually just wear whatever I buy during the trip.

Reactions: QuelleFromage