Recommend Your Tote!

marieski

Apr 24, 2017
I am struggling to find the perfect tote, and I'd love to see what y'all have and recommend!

I am 5'10", and I definitely like a larger bag. I am looking for something that is nice enough to go to work, but casual enough to wear with lululemon. I definitely don't baby my bags, so durability is important! I'm currently using a Michael Kors XL Jet Set tote in Saffiano (and I don't love the interior pockets) or a Longchamp with a purse.

The ones I have or have considered so far are:
Goyard St Louis - Would get this in a heartbeat if there weren't so many quality issues. This is the right size, weight, and seems to strike the right balance between dressed up or down (if you get a classic neutral). I just can't get over the corner wear and use suggestions (nothing as heavy as a laptop!).
LV Neverfull GM - Love these as well, especially for the durability, but I just can't see any of the canvas patterns working in all the settings I need.
Chanel GST - Too heavy and structured; not quite big enough.
Chanel Execuvtive/Cerf Tote - Not quite visually exciting enough.

What am I missing?! I know there are some great totes out there!

Chase Amie absolutely adores her Tory Burch Perry Tote. It has seemed to hold up well and works in both settings you mentioned.
I have a Michael Kors Mae Tote that I really like, but you have to be a fun of a slouchy tote with no pockets.
If you like rustic leather that is really sturdy, I like the Etsy seller HawksandDoves, and you can customize your tote as well.

Reactions: Butterdaisy
Chase Amie absolutely adores her Tory Burch Perry Tote. It has seemed to hold up well and works in both settings you mentioned.
I have a Michael Kors Mae Tote that I really like, but you have to be a fun of a slouchy tote with no pockets.
If you like rustic leather that is really sturdy, I like the Etsy seller HawksandDoves, and you can customize your tote as well.
Thanks for the recommendations! I will definitely check those out. I am open to a range of designers if I can get the functionality I want. And if it's less expensive, that just leaves more for another bag!

Reactions: Butterdaisy
I've just been on a major tote hunt. I looked at:
Saint Laurent shopper tote - light, elegant, understated, no inside pockets but pouch included.
Tod's Joy bag - very well-made, lovely colors, detachable inner pockets, but ultimately too unstructured for me.
Burberry grainy leather tote - high quality, transforms into a narrower bag if you close the sides, but slightly too wide for me otherwise.
Lanvin small shopper - gorgeous leather, lightweight, no inside pockets but pouch included.
To my surprise I ended up with a Mulberry Tessie tote in oxblood. It's my first Mulberry, and I've been a bit reluctant towards this brand because of quality issues of late. However, the bag I purchased seems very well done and when I tried it on it was love at first sight. It just looked right you know?
My second choice would be the Lanvin, loved that too.
Hope this helps a bit!

Reactions: christinemliu
I've just been on a major tote hunt. I looked at:
Saint Laurent shopper tote - light, elegant, understated, no inside pockets but pouch included.
Tod's Joy bag - very well-made, lovely colors, detachable inner pockets, but ultimately too unstructured for me.
Burberry grainy leather tote - high quality, transforms into a narrower bag if you close the sides, but slightly too wide for me otherwise.
Lanvin small shopper - gorgeous leather, lightweight, no inside pockets but pouch included.
To my surprise I ended up with a Mulberry Tessie tote in oxblood. It's my first Mulberry, and I've been a bit reluctant towards this brand because of quality issues of late. However, the bag I purchased seems very well done and when I tried it on it was love at first sight. It just looked right you know?
My second choice would be the Lanvin, loved that too.
Hope this helps a bit!
Thank you so much! Glad to know I'm not the only one looking in a million different places! Off to research your suggestions!

Reactions: BagMadness
I use a Dooney & Bourke "Tobi" tote for travel. I find that it can fit a ton but not very structured.

I too have been thinking of getting a luxury branded tote, but I'm a stickler for one with a zip closure, not one that's gaping open or just has a magnet. So far I'm SOL trying to find one that fits that zipper criteria...

I use a Dooney & Bourke "Tobi" tote for travel. I find that it can fit a ton but not very structured.

I too have been thinking of getting a luxury branded tote, but I'm a stickler for one with a zip closure, not one that's gaping open or just has a magnet. So far I'm SOL trying to find one that fits that zipper criteria...
There is the Louis Vuitton Totally, the Cuyana Classic Zipper Tote, the Coach Turnlock Tote, and Etsy seller HawksandDoves totes can be customized with a zipper...Just totes I have looked at recently. I actually am thinking of getting the Cuyana Oversized Carryall because of the zipper...It's really huge though.

There is the Louis Vuitton Totally, the Cuyana Classic Zipper Tote, the Coach Turnlock Tote, and Etsy seller HawksandDoves totes can be customized with a zipper...Just totes I have looked at recently. I actually am thinking of getting the Cuyana Oversized Carryall because of the zipper...It's really huge though.

Thanks! Those are good suggestions. I might also have to add that I'm a stickler for leather over canvas. So that makes my search a bit more difficult. I'll look into those you mentioned!

Reactions: Sparkletastic
Chanel Spring Summer 2017 has this tote:
View attachment 3680316
I got the small version recently and loving it; the double handle is very useful. It is light, stylish, but discreet enough...
I've seen this one and it's gorgeous! I LOVE the double handle, and the look is exactly interesting enough, but not too much. I was assuming it would be heavy and thought the large might not be quite big enough, but if it's light, I'll have to look closer at this one!

I think if I was looking for a zipper, I might go with one of the more structured Goyards, but if you strictly prefer leather, that does make it a little more challenging of a search!