Wearing an expensive or rare item for the first time...

L etoile

tPF addict
O.G.
Jun 9, 2007
Lately, I've realized that I have a few fabulous pieces that have never been worn. However, once I wear an item, it's like "breaking the seal" and I tend to wear it over and over. I did this with a pair of studded Manolos last year and they have been my go-to shoe since. I have two other pairs of Manolos that have yet to be worn. It's not like I'm saving them for anything, but I am a little afraid of wearing them in the rain as they're both satin. I'm also staring at a new Hermes shawl and a new bag that I haven't found the right occasions for. How do you "break the seal" with new items?

I call it, "the Christening."
And plan nice activity, for 1st voyage out together.
May or may not involve 1st scratch on item.
If does, bonus--eases all other scratches to follow.

An hermes shawl & I went for day out.
Then stopped by h store.
Where sa showed several ways to tie knots. And told me how pretty it was.

1st voyage for mulberry bays tote was lunch.
Which resulted in strawberry jam smeared over its front. And cleaning with damp towels in public sink.
Zero damage(thank you, collonil products).
Then continued really enjoying day. Because learned bag would survive almost anything.:lol:

Setting that initial, great memory lets using item become joyful, imo.

Best wishes.:flowers:

I call it, "the Christening."
And plan nice activity, for 1st voyage out together.
May or may not involve 1st scratch on item.
If does, bonus--eases all other scratches to follow.

An hermes shawl & I went for day out.
Then stopped by h store.
Where sa showed several ways to tie knots. And told me how pretty it was.

1st voyage for mulberry bays tote was lunch.
Which resulted in strawberry jam smeared over its front. And cleaning with damp towels in public sink.
Zero damage(thank you, collonil products).
Then continued really enjoying day. Because learned bag would survive almost anything.:lol:

Setting that initial, great memory lets using item become joyful, imo.

Best wishes.:flowers:

Thanks for the reply! I love that you call it "the Christening" and you have inspired me to "Christen" one of my newer pairs of Manolos this week!

I have a pair of new shoes that I need to christen as well - maybe on Thursday, when it's not going to be raining as they have leather soles.

I'm the same way - if I don't wear it right away, it becomes harder to break the seal. And sometimes it takes me a few wears to really make it a staple. Then I wonder why I waited so long.

Like my new Chanel dress that my SA said should not be cleaned and only steamed thus I'm afraid I might sweat in it which is giving me anxiety which makes me sweat! First time I wore my H Constance I scratched the H! First time I wore my first Birkin waiter spilled red wine on her! Wiped right off! Every time I wear an H shawl I get a new pull! Hoping the boutique can help me fix them eventually! I am reminded that these are just things, meant to be worn and enjoyed and oh well, there will be some collateral damage!!

I'm really appreciating the posts to this thread! As you said Mrs.Z, these are things made to be enjoyed, come what may. I also have beautiful tableware that I don't use too often, and sometimes I wonder exactly what occasion I am waiting for. What exactly is "the right" occasion anyway, that concept is utterly ridiculous when I stop to think about it! So it is with clothes. I like to think that wearing beautiful things that are meant to be worn is more joyful and fun in the long run than merely owning them.

My best strategy for using a nice item for the first time is to wear it when going some place with my husband. He does not have patience for a "costume change" if I am having second thoughts and I have ripped off the bandage with many new items this way. Most things acquired a little damage on their first outing (nicely made things are so delicate!) but it's better to have an imperfect item that I am using than a perfect item sitting in my closet. That being said, I have several pairs of Chanel shoes I have never worn sitting in my closet. That means I missed out on wearing them when they were the hottest and newest style, so what's the point in waiting?

Maybe we should make this a photo thread and people can post pics of the item they're christening that day.

I think that part of my problem is that I don't want to be too "flashy" because the items that I tend to hold back with are my more recognizable designer items (i.e. Hermes items, MB Hangisi pumps, Chanel, etc.).

Reactions: nicole0612
I got a creamy, buttery, almost off white leather jacket that was like butter about 3-4 years ago (!). I never wore it....till this year. I would take it out, plan an outfit around it then when it came time to wear it I always grabbed something else. I knew that it would probably attract dirt or at the very least it wouldn't age like a black leather jacket that just gets better and better. I had my 58th birthday last month and realized this is just craziness. Who cares if something happens to it? I've worn it multiple times since my birthday, gotten compliments each time, such a gorgeous color and texture, what a waste that I didn't wear it sooner!!

My best strategy for using a nice item for the first time is to wear it when going some place with my husband. He does not have patience for a "costume change" if I am having second thoughts and I have ripped off the bandage with many new items this way. Most things acquired a little damage on their first outing (nicely made things are so delicate!) but it's better to have an imperfect item that I am using than a perfect item sitting in my closet. That being said, I have several pairs of Chanel shoes I have never worn sitting in my closet. That means I missed out on wearing them when they were the hottest and newest style, so what's the point in waiting?
This is so true! Funny that you mention Chanel shoes in particular, since I know that the first time I wear a new pair, I will inevitably end up scuffing or scraping the leather on the toe. This is specifically true with the cap toe ballet flats. The first mark on a new item is always toughest and makes me cringe, but best to rip off the band aid as quickly as possible!

This is so true! Funny that you mention Chanel shoes in particular, since I know that the first time I wear a new pair, I will inevitably end up scuffing or scraping the leather on the toe. This is specifically true with the cap toe ballet flats. The first mark on a new item is always toughest and makes me cringe, but best to rip off the band aid as quickly as possible!

Wow is this true, I destroy the front of my ballet flats but love them so much they have become my every day shoes! We also need to consider that getting a pull or scuffing shoes can all be fixed if you find the right talented person!

Reactions: L etoile
Wow is this true, I destroy the front of my ballet flats but love them so much they have become my every day shoes! We also need to consider that getting a pull or scuffing shoes can all be fixed if you find the right talented person!
Yes, it just occurred to me a couple of months ago to take my most beat up pair to the cobbler and see what he could do. I am nervous to bring my very expensive shoes to him even though he is highly skilled, but I had nothing to lose since this pair was not even wearable anymore. Lo and behold, they came back looking like new!