Do you baby your bags?

MSO13

May 22, 2014
There's been a recent wave of off topic posts in different threads relating to babying bags so I thought a topic was in order.

From liners and organizers to replacement plastic on the hardware to placing the bag only on a napkin/cloth when it has to be put down it seems that tPFers are engaging in some extreme behavior to baby their bags.

I find this fascinating and worthy of respectful discussion. I'm not attacking anyone but it does seem to me that it prevents you from really enjoying the bag. Maybe that's not the case? How far do you go to "protect" your bag from the world?

As for me, I use liners more for structure than to protect the lining. I don't really care if the inside gets scratched up, it's dark in there [emoji16]I don't use twillies and let my handles get dark on my Barenia. Basically I just try not to bump/scrape the bag going in and out of my stone house but aside from that I'm pretty carefree with my bags. I put them on the floor/ground whenever necessary and just wipe them down with Lexol if they've ever been anywhere gross. I use a jewelry cloth to clean up smudges on the hardware before putting bags away. I don't wear charms or the lock because i prefer things unadorned. I'm more concerned about bags being snatched for their visibility than anything but I grew up in NY when it was more dangerous.

It's not that my bags weren't costly (they cost the same as everyone else) or that I don't respect them, I just love them and want to use them wherever possible. For me to treat them like glass just wouldn't give me the same pleasure as bringing them with me everywhere. They carry happy memories of all the places I've gone with them and the people I was with.

I brought my new SO out just to hang with a friend yesterday, I was casual, it got rained on but bringing the bag made it a more special time rather than saving the bag for a special day.

MrsO, your philosophy matches mine regarding enjoying your bags. The only exception I make is carrying my Croc or Gator bags out in inclement weather.

In my mind, I bought the bags to use. I don't abuse them. I just wear them everyday. H bags were meant to be used and loved.

I wrap some handles and use bag charms because I'm an embellished kind of girl. I like the look.

this thread is coming in at the right time, thanks to MrsOwen3.
i can't tell if i myself baby my H bags....hmmm lets see.
twillies: only on my birdie birkin handles, but definitely not liking the feel of them
charms: never
clochette: sometimes, but not the padlock (too heavy)
liners: no
rain: don't mind but try not to get wet
put the bag on the floor: yes
hardware plastic: first things to go after purchase, NO intension to use any kind of protection for anti-scratch
BUT i would wipe each hardware with soft dry cloth and shine them before putting it away. when they are not in use i make sure they are in their own dust bag and placed on high shelves in the closet, away from direct sun light, away from humidity. to preserve the shape i would stuff the bags just right and periodically change their position from sleeping beauty to standing.

i like to enjoy my H bags carefree. i paid a lot for these bags and they should give me pleasure not inconvenience. i am a practical person i will carry anything i have to in my birkins, from flip-flops to baguette. i totally agreed with my SA, she said birkins start to look the best after 2 years of use. yes! the patina, softness, lines, scratches, scuff, stains, colour fade, darkened handles, oh the identity...... i like to grow old with my bags.

There's been a recent wave of off topic posts in different threads relating to babying bags so I thought a topic was in order.

From liners and organizers to replacement plastic on the hardware to placing the bag only on a napkin/cloth when it has to be put down it seems that tPFers are engaging in some extreme behavior to baby their bags.

I find this fascinating and worthy of respectful discussion. I'm not attacking anyone but it does seem to me that it prevents you from really enjoying the bag. Maybe that's not the case? How far do you go to "protect" your bag from the world?

As for me, I use liners more for structure than to protect the lining. I don't really care if the inside gets scratched up, it's dark in there [emoji16]I don't use twillies and let my handles get dark on my Barenia. Basically I just try not to bump/scrape the bag going in and out of my stone house but aside from that I'm pretty carefree with my bags. I put them on the floor/ground whenever necessary and just wipe them down with Lexol if they've ever been anywhere gross. I use a jewelry cloth to clean up smudges on the hardware before putting bags away. I don't wear charms or the lock because i prefer things unadorned. I'm more concerned about bags being snatched for their visibility than anything but I grew up in NY when it was more dangerous.

It's not that my bags weren't costly (they cost the same as everyone else) or that I don't respect them, I just love them and want to use them wherever possible. For me to treat them like glass just wouldn't give me the same pleasure as bringing them with me everywhere. They carry happy memories of all the places I've gone with them and the people I was with.

I brought my new SO out just to hang with a friend yesterday, I was casual, it got rained on but bringing the bag made it a more special time rather than saving the bag for a special day.
I agree 100%!

this thread is coming in at the right time, thanks to MrsOwen3.

i like to enjoy my H bags carefree. i paid a lot for these bags and they should give me pleasure not inconvenience. i am a practical person i will carry anything i have to in my birkins, from flip-flops to baguette. i totally agreed with my SA, she said birkins start to look the best after 2 years of use. yes! the patina, softness, lines, scratches, scuff, stains, colour fade, darkened handles, oh the identity...... i like to grow old with my bags.
I could not have written this better. I agree 100 percent. Worrying about a bag is not luxury to me, using it is. I was very fortunate at one time to own a gorgeous croc lisse Kelly. It gave me so much anxiety to use and care for, always careful of theft, water, scratches, etc. it was simply beyond my personal comfort level. Not luxurious at all. It had to go and even if I miss it now and then, I remember all those anxious feelings and smile at my well loved and used bags.

I care for my bags but I'm not precious with them, tbh the idea of keeping things pristine is a mindset I don't understand, but each to their own. Plastic protector gets taken off immediately and is discarded (with glee :biggrin:). I'm not a fan of charms and don't own any, and I don't use twillies, but I do avoid using hand cream just before I carry my bags. I keep bags clean and moisturise them if they feel dry; the only one that's stored in its dust bag is my white bag; the rest (including my non-H bags) I store stuffed and in a glazed cupboard where I can see them. I bought a liner for one of my bags but I'm not keen on it, and only use it when the bag is stored, I'm happy to let them slouch if they want to. I use them in the rain but wouldn't intentionally take them out in a downpour. Having said that I have been caught a few times and they've been absolutely fine. I think that's it ;)

Hmm.
I do not buy to resell.
Want to see pretty bag linings & metal bits.

Also slather every bag in collonil leather gel/waterstop spray.
No issues with color transfer, rain, setting on ground, etc.

Not paying amount which terrifies me into a fear-to-touch-bag coma.
And buying new--no lingering issues from previous owners & absolutely authentic.
Also not playing any get-a-birkin odd games.

Frankly, if using hermes caused panic attacks--I'd just get another brand's new items & say f*** it.
And, often, I still do.

My darker coloured birkins used to go with me to the stables when I rode and I had hung helmets off them and riding crops stuck in them. They also carried groceries. I draw the line at muddy boots, things that have condensation and raw meat. I am careful yet not careful with my bags, if you know what I mean.

I only baby my exotics, as in I will be careful with them eg. no oils near birds, no water near croc; but a stain or two does not bother me. I do not expect anything of mine to stay pristine.

As for twillies and bag charms, YES PLEASE! I used to think the bags are beautiful and nothing should detract from its beauty so preferred them unadorned and naked but honestly I got bored after the nth birkin and kelly in all its simple glory.

I like the hardware naked so stickers off the minute I get them. I always hated it when people left the plastic on their furniture or car seats. Those sticky hot summer (hang on it's 365 days of summer in Singapore) days in the boiling hot tropics and I was a sweaty child...

Never inserts or bag organisers. I don't see the point and they take up space.

I own my bags, they don't own me.

Last edited:
Hmmmm... baby? It's funny that we say "baby your bags"... Because I can honestly admit I do. Why? Because I have a different sort of relationship with my bags than others may. While I don't put my Birkin in a stroller or a baby seat while driving.... my bags have names, outfits (twillies and charms), and I worry for their safety while we're out (in many different ways). I don't place my bag on the floor (except in my home/other's homes)... I will absolutely place my bag on a chair at a restaurant or share the chair I'm sitting on with my bag, I don't carry liquids in my bag that have any chance of leaking... I have heard horror stories about pens, therefore I am very guarded around shopping/airport counters and pens. This may all sound asinine to you, but it's SECOND NATURE to me. Really.... I totally wear and enjoy ALL OF MY BAGS.... you've all seen me in action... I wear them daily. I don't treat them like glass or a shrine to be worshipped in my closet... They are out and about with me wherever I go... I'm just CAREFUL. No, I have no interest in getting the handles dirty, I guard against food spills, I don't like looking at scratches on hardware but it happens and I'd be upset if I got caught in the rain with no bag to cover my things with (including ME). It's just how I'm built. I am the same way with most of my possessions. I won't fall to pieces if something happens... but I try very hard to keep things from looking worn out too quickly. It will happen, natural wear and tear is fine.... but my babies have an attentive mama who completely enjoys primping them and fussing with their outfits to keep them pretty =) They are babied, for sure. And I enjoy it.

I try to enjoy my bags as best as I can & with that in mind, I do have a rain jacket in each
of my bags just in case & I don't take my bags out in inclement weather.
I have several exotic K bags & want them to look go ( no rain spots, etc)
I haven't had the need to replace any hardware except to have the handle of my
K replaced & for the most part several of my bags were vintage when purchased & in
really good condition, so just maintain them with a spa treatment.
I also take my bags in yearly for a spa treatment to keep them looking good & for any necessary
repairs. I do on occasion wipe them down if needed.
I don't put them down on the floor on a napkin I prefer my bag either next to me or on a chair.
I store my bags with acid free tissue paper in an acid free box with the dustcover away from the
sun or light. These bags are an investment for me & I want to keep them in shape & looking
as nice as I can.
I do have a fourbi liner which I'm not loving as much as I thought I would but had a new liner made
that was made from an old vintage H scarf that I no longer use & I like seeing the color in
my bag.
I don't carry pens or liquids in my bag as H doesn't clean the inside of the bag, want my bags
to look nice on the inside.