vernis and rain, is it a concern??

luvspurses

O.G.
Mar 9, 2008
was hoping to get a consensus on whether vernis bags can be harmed by rain. i think i have read that they can, but not sure how concerned to be. hoping those who have experience with this can chime in. thanks in advance : )

Vernis leather doesn't get damaged by rain. Like other patent leathers, it can simply be wiped off clean and dry. However, the vachette parts on Vernis bags require special attention as rain may create water spots and rapid darkening.

Last edited:
Vernis leather doesn't get damaged by rain. Like other patent leathers, it can simply be whipped off clean and dry. However, the vachette parts on Vernis bags require special attention as rain may create water spots and rapid darkening.
thank you for the reply. the bag in question has no vachetta so nothing to worry about there. i don't know where i read that rain is a problem but i am really glad to hear that it isn't. thanks again : )

Last edited:
Whatever you read may well have been about the vachetta parts on bags but that applies to all vachetta, not just that found on vernis bags.
thanks for the reply : ) vachetta i know, but vernis not so much, lol. i only have one vernis bag. as i recall there was discussion here about water leaving spots or etching on the vernis, but it has been so long i don't recall the exact thread. i will do a search at some point to look. i would have espected vernis to be impermeable and resistant to water, but this nagging little concern had me wondering. thanks for setting me straight so now i can carry the bag without stressing if it is raining : )

was hoping to get a consensus on whether vernis bags can be harmed by rain. i think i have read that they can, but not sure how concerned to be. hoping those who have experience with this can chime in. thanks in advance : )
I own the Alma bb in Epi Electric and a Vernis key holder . Both of these items have gotten wet . No issues what so ever . I just wiped them off with a napkin or cloth at the time . I think Vernis is very durable when it comes to water . Vachetta , not so much :smile: .

Reactions: meandmyhandbag