Hair on Necklace

LVShoeFan2

O.G.
Jun 10, 2006
I get my tiny hairs on the back of my neck/hairline stuck in the chain of my necklaces, especially my Tiffany DBTY since the chain is so fine and short. My necklace looked fuzzy because of so much hair stuck in the chain. I Googled what to do and tried the lighter trick ... it set my necklace on fire (my bathroom reeked of burning hair) and now I have black char spots on the chain. :doh: But at least the hair is gone lol.

Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do?? I've tried tweezers, my ultrasonic cleaner, tiny scissors ... none of those worked. Lighting the hairs on fire with a lighter technically worked but, like I said, I kinda ruined my necklace.

Reactions: bagaholic1
I get my tiny hairs on the back of my neck/hairline stuck in the chain of my necklaces, especially my Tiffany DBTY since the chain is so fine and short. My necklace looked fuzzy because of so much hair stuck in the chain. I Googled what to do and tried the lighter trick ... it set my necklace on fire (my bathroom reeked of burning hair) and now I have black char spots on the chain. :doh: But at least the hair is gone lol.

Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do?? I've tried tweezers, my ultrasonic cleaner, tiny scissors ... none of those worked. Lighting the hairs on fire with a lighter technically worked but, like I said, I kinda ruined my necklace.

I don't have this problem, but I would suggest the following:

Did you try cleaning the chain with a jewelry cloth? It should get rid of the black spots. Otherwise, take it to Tiffany and have them steam clean it.

Reactions: LVShoeFan2
I have this problem sometimes! I just yank at the hairs with a tweezers and pull them out of the chain. It sometimes takes a while. It's a pain! I'm not sure what else can be done. Do you have fine hair? My hair is long and fine and I wonder if this is more likely to happen with fine hair than with coarse hair.

I have this problem sometimes! I just yank at the hairs with a tweezers and pull them out of the chain. It sometimes takes a while. It's a pain! I'm not sure what else can be done. Do you have fine hair? My hair is long and fine and I wonder if this is more likely to happen with fine hair than with coarse hair.

I do have fine hair but a lot of it! I couldn't really use the tweezers because there was so much hair it was like way more hair than chain and knotted severely. I should've taken a photo. The shorter, tinier chains do this to me much more than longer, thicker chains. I'm currently wearing a box chain and it doesn't get stuck in my fine hairs at all. But the DBTY is a necklace that doesn't have a pendant so I can't change the chain, KWIM? Anyway, I'm grateful for any and all advice! I also heard using Nair is helpful for dissolving the hair? I guess it can't be worse than setting my chain on fire (it was literally glowing red like something out of a blacksmith's dream).

Reactions: bagaholic1
I have fine hair but lots of it too, so I wonder if that texture contributes to the problem. For me, the hairs typically get caught up in the chain around the clasp. I usually yank the hairs out as soon as I see them. I have dark hair so they really stand out! I agree that this is more likely to happen with finer chains than with thicker, more substantial ones. Nair would probably burn the hair away, but I would be afraid it might harm the finish of the chain as well. But it can't be harsher on the metal than setting it on fire! That cracks me up! You are a brave girl! Lol. :smile:

I have fine hair but lots of it too, so I wonder if that texture contributes to the problem. For me, the hairs typically get caught up in the chain around the clasp. I usually yank the hairs out as soon as I see them. I have dark hair so they really stand out! I agree that this is more likely to happen with finer chains than with thicker, more substantial ones. Nair would probably burn the hair away, but I would be afraid it might harm the finish of the chain as well. But it can't be harsher on the metal than setting it on fire! That cracks me up! You are a brave girl! Lol. :smile:

Lol! Really the necklace looked terrible so I thought I'd give it a shot. Thankfully, due to the nature of the DBTY necklace, it doesn't spin around my neck like a regular pendant and chain would so the hair was only in the back parts. I was able to get most of the char off with a jewelry cleaning cloth so I have that going for me! :smile: