Awkward Return Situation? Please help!!

Apr 9, 2015
So I bought a high end bag from Sak 5th (out of state) back in December 21, 2016. Flash forward February 19, 2017, having not used the bag, I called my local Saks to see if I could return the bag, they said it's past the 30 day return period but told me to bring in the bag in anyways to see what they could do. They granted the return with manager's approval. I read on the website description it's returnable after 30 days based on current selling price.
Full-priced merchandise, with the exception of furs, watches and jewelry, presented after 30 days will be credited based on the current selling price.

Today, the SA that I originally purchased the bag from contacted me they're sending the bag back since it was past the 30 days period... But I returned the bag back in February (got full credit refund) and now it's April...So what's going on? Can they really send back the bag?

So I bought a high end bag from Sak 5th (out of state) back in December 21, 2016. Flash forward February 19, 2017, having not used the bag, I called my local Saks to see if I could return the bag, they said it's past the 30 day return period but told me to bring in the bag in anyways to see what they could do. They granted the return with manager's approval. I read on the website description it's returnable after 30 days based on current selling price.
Full-priced merchandise, with the exception of furs, watches and jewelry, presented after 30 days will be credited based on the current selling price.

Today, the SA that I originally purchased the bag from contacted me they're sending the bag back since it was past the 30 days period... But I returned the bag back in February (got full credit refund) and now it's April...So what's going on? Can they really send back the bag?

I'm surprised that since the credit was issued that SFA is now sending the bag back.
The stores are really enforcing their "return policies".
Is this a SFA charge or did you use a different credit card?

It's a different credit card, but I don't think it's legal to re-charge/charge the card without my authorization...
I'm surprised that since the credit was issued that SFA is now sending the bag back.
The stores are really enforcing their "return policies".
Is this a SFA charge or did you use a different credit card?

Very surprising that they would do this after they processed the return. Have they reversed the credit yet? What was the refund amount, if you don't mind me asking?

It is very unfortunate they'd do this now, so long after processing the return. I'd ask more questions and express my (ahem) "concern" with a manager.

Contact your credit card company.

I am skeptical that this is legal. You could argue that since you were given the refund, you will endure hardship if they impose that kind of financial burden on you now. Principle of detrimental reliance...if it wasn't made clear to you that they might re-charge your card, then you could very well argue that you thought everything was good and since then (for 2 months), used your discretionary income on other things.

Basically when someone puts you in a situation where an interaction implied a "promise" of a service, and it was reasonable for you to believe that everything was good and dandy until they decide they want to take it back...it becomes dicey for them to go backwards at this point.

[I'm NOT a contract lawyer...but I once had an insurance claim approved by a frontline service rep plus their supervisor, and then attempted to be reversed on me by an upper manager about a month later saying that the frontline staff had made an error of what's covered under my policy. I escalated to an ombudsman and they were made to make do on their earlier assurances that they would have me covered.]

Last edited:
Very surprising that they would do this after they processed the return. Have they reversed the credit yet? What was the refund amount, if you don't mind me asking?

It is very unfortunate they'd do this now, so long after processing the return. I'd ask more questions and express my (ahem) "concern" with a manager.

They haven't reversed the amount, and it's a Chloe bag...so kinda pricey.

Did you see the credit posted yet?
If they send it, I'd refuse delivery and watch my bank card and dispute any new charges. WTH??

Contact your credit card company.

I am skeptical that this is legal. You could argue that since you were given the refund, you will endure hardship if they impose that kind of financial burden on you now. Principle of detrimental reliance...if it wasn't made clear to you that they might re-charge your card, then you could very well argue that you thought everything was good and since then (for 2 months), used your discretionary income on other things.

Basically when someone puts you in a situation where an interaction implied a "promise" of a service, and it was reasonable for you to believe that everything was good and dandy until they decide they want to take it back...it becomes dicey for them to go backwards at this point.

I returned the item back in February 2017 (got approval with the store manager at Sak 5th since it was past the 30 day return period from initial purchase date of end of December 2016) and was issued a credit back a couple of days later...and now it's mid April and she wants to send the bag back stating that it was past the 30 day return period...? I'm assuming she just got the item back to her store, and doesn't know I already got the refund awhile back.

And true, I doubt it's legal to reverse a refund UNLESS it exceeded the original amount purchased.

Last edited:
I returned the item back in February 2017 (got approval with the store manager at Sak 5th since it was past the 30 day return period from initial purchase date of end of December 2016) and was issued a credit back a couple of days later...and now it's mid April and she wants to send the bag back stating that it was past the 30 day return period...? I'm assuming she just got the item back to her store, and doesn't know I already got the refund awhile back.

Did you tell her you were already issued the refund way back when with manager approval?

I wouldn't even reply, and I certainly would not provide my address. The SA cannot send a bag to a non existent address. Shrug.

I wonder if she's PO'd about the commission and is trying to bully you.

Reactions: QuelleFromage