Books & Music Ever think a song was about one thing, and then you REALLY listen to it

caitlin1214

tPF Bish
O.G.
Jul 7, 2006
. . . and realize it's actually about something else?

I've always loved the song Little Red Corvette by Prince. I would sing along to it when it came on the radio. I wasn't naive enough to think it was just about a car (no song that has sex noises midway through is ever about a car), but I never really gave it much thought. When I bought one of his greatest hits c.ds, I listened to the song again and realized what the song was ACTUALLY about.

Um, the song contains lines like:
"She had a pocket full of horses, Trojans and some of them used."
"And I felt a little ill when I saw all the pictures of the jockeys that were there before me."
"A body like yours oughta be in jail,
'cause it's on the verge of bein' obscene"

According to wikipedia, Prince narrates a one-night stand with a beautiful but promiscuous woman (the "Little Red Corvette" of the title); although he enjoys the experience, he urges her to "slow down" and "find a love that's gonna last" before she destroys herself.

One that I was surprised to find out about - "Turning Japanese" was about masturbation.

And in my younger days I thought "Physical" was about exercise...:roflmfao:

Apparantly, that's just a rumor, but since the band members have done nothing to dispel the rumor, who are we to question?

I know that Cyndi Lauper's She Bop refers to masturbation.

It bothers me when people use I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston as a prom/wedding song because yes, she does say she will always love someone, but the whole song'sabout breaking up!

I always thought Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds was about LSD, but I took a music history course on the Beatles last quarter and I learned that it was about a drawing that John's son Julian did. He called his drawing Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds, and John wrote the song after that. (Maybe it does have to do with LSD a bit thought! :P)

I always thought Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds was about LSD, but I took a music history course on the Beatles last quarter and I learned that it was about a drawing that John's son Julian did. He called his drawing Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds, and John wrote the song after that. (Maybe it does have to do with LSD a bit thought! :P)

I thought it was about LSD, too...Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds is one of the Beatles' most trippy-sounding songs...

Ha Ha Caitlin, I know exactly what your talking about, when I was around 5 years old in '82 the song "Juicy Fruit" by mtune, was very popular, I thought they was singing about the gum "juicy fruit" so I used to always sing the chorus and my father always used to swat me and say that song ain't for children, I never knew what he meant until Notorious B.I.G. came out with his version and the radio station played the original song after his as part of there "then and now" segment, when I heard the lyrics I was like whoa:wtf: I was singing that at 5, it's about oral sex "You can lick me everywhere", damn I used to sing this song in school:confused1: I was embarrassed well I hadn't heard the song since I was young, too bad I can't tell him he was right.

It bothers me when people use I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston as a prom/wedding song because yes, she does say she will always love someone, but the whole song'sabout breaking up!

Caitlin, That drives me BONKERS, too. Though I love the song, this is *not appropriate for a wedding. The only thing I can come up with is - the subject of this thread...and that people are not really listening and analysing the words when they choose that to be sung at their wedding. :wtf:

Yeah, I really liked this song by Ricardo Arjona- Acompaname a Estar Solo. I thought it was a love song then I REALLY listened to it and it was not so romantic. It really makes my blood boil when I listen to it now.

Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood!

The song came on once and I turned to a guy I was with and told him, "This song say exactly what I need to do, relax." He gave me the weirdest look and told me to listen to the words. I was soo embarassed!

Someone I knew from college was really shocked when she learned what Aaliyah's Rock the Boat was really about! Um, what exactly did you think she meant when she sang "Work it in the middle"?

Then I knew someone else who didn't know that 2 Become 1 by the Spice Girls was about sex! What did you think "Put it on" meant?

. . . and realize it's actually about something else?

I've always loved the song Little Red Corvette by Prince. I would sing along to it when it came on the radio. I wasn't naive enough to think it was just about a car (no song that has sex noises midway through is ever about a car), but I never really gave it much thought. When I bought one of his greatest hits c.ds, I listened to the song again and realized what the song was ACTUALLY about.

Um, the song contains lines like:
"She had a pocket full of horses, Trojans and some of them used."
"And I felt a little ill when I saw all the pictures of the jockeys that were there before me."
"A body like yours oughta be in jail,
'cause it's on the verge of bein' obscene"

According to wikipedia, Prince narrates a one-night stand with a beautiful but promiscuous woman (the "Little Red Corvette" of the title); although he enjoys the experience, he urges her to "slow down" and "find a love that's gonna last" before she destroys herself.

LOL!!! I've been a Prince "FREAK" since I was in the womb! I used to listen and sing all his songs at a real young age. My mom banned me from listening to him when she heard me singing Darling Nikki ( I knew a girl named Nikki, I guess you could say she was a sex fiend. I met her in a hotel lobby masturbating with a magazine...), I was six at the time.

I got so depressed. I wouldn't eat. I couldn't sleep. My mom eventually gave up and figured that no one would ever come between Prince & I (she eventually learned the same thing about Johnny Depp)!

So funny...