Suggestions on resetting a line bracelet or bangle?

LVoeletters

only the best
O.G.
Aug 13, 2011
Hi everyone. Hope you all are doing well. I wanted to know if I could get your advice on a potential reset.

I have a great tennis bracelet, but over time I've grown tired of the setting. I feel like there is too much metal and takes away from the diamonds from reflecting enough light. I was thinking of doing a three prong setting. Has anyone reset their tennis bracelets before? Do you have an estimate of what it cost you?

My second piece I was considering resetting is a half diamond bangle. I bought a skinnier bangle years ago to wear with my love but it was too big. I was able to get the jewelry store to trade in my bangle towards a tighter bangle with bigger diamonds. However, it still does not sit right with my love bangle. I am wondering if I can make it a little smaller to get the shape to work.

Any thoughts/opinions are welcomed. Thank you!

My goldsmith charges about $40 per diamond when resetting to a new design. That is removing it from an old piece and placing it into the new design. With at least 40 stones, that's $1600 just for the labour! This does not include the cost of the new bracelet. I also have a tennis bracelet that I no longer enjoy wearing and have thought of changing it years ago but haven't decided.
As for resizing the bangle, it depends on the design and how the diamonds are set. Do you have pictures?

Last edited:
My goldsmith charges about $40 per diamond when resetting to a new design. That is removing it from an old piece and placing it into the new design. With at least 40 stones, that's $1600 just for the labour! This does not include the cost of the new bracelet. I also have a tennis bracelet that I no longer enjoy wearing and have thought of changing it years ago but haven't decided.
As for resizing the bangle, it depends on the design and how the diamonds are set. Do you have pictures?
So sorry I didn't check to see if my pictures uploaded. Holy moly 1600?! There goes my savings of buying these pieces from the jeweler in the first place. It's driving me nuts after looking at the diamond certificate. The line bracelet should reflect so much more light.

Attachments

• IMG_6152.JPG
    IMG_6152.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_6154.JPG
    IMG_6154.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_6158.JPG
    IMG_6158.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_6159.JPG
    IMG_6159.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_6160.JPG
    IMG_6160.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_6161.JPG
    IMG_6161.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_6162.JPG
    IMG_6162.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_6163.JPG
    IMG_6163.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 434
Reactions: Minty Tea
I think you should visit several goldsmiths and see how much it would cost to reset the diamonds and to resize the bangle. I think that your bangle is a bit loose but I prefer mine more snug. The goldsmith might have to cut away the excess gold and reshape the bangle. I'm not sure how it may look afterwards but make sure you have a clear visual of how it will turn out before committing. Resizing a diamond bangle is not as simple as resizing a ring. You still want to have that smooth oval shape plus not compromise the overall integrity of the claws.

Yeah, resetting the entire tennis bracelet is not the most cost effective. I'm still sitting on the fence as to what to do with mine. Have you considered just upgrading your TB? Maybe the jewellery store offers a buy-back or trade program?

These are mine. The TB is just a bit looser than the bangle as I don't like them sitting too far from my wrist bone. I never wear them together.
upload_2017-4-8_13-41-46.png

I had a Quad diamond bangle made smaller. Labor intense since the diamonds are invisibly set but they did and for free. Of course I
wouldn't have bought it unless it fit. Fairly expensive but they wanted the sale. Can you take the bangle back to where you bought it?
They may size for a reasonable amount.
As far as the TB is concerned...a 3 prong will give you better light saturation but if the diamonds are larger best to keep the TB in a 4 prong.

Reactions: Shopgirl1996
I had a Quad diamond bangle made smaller. Labor intense since the diamonds are invisibly set but they did and for free. Of course I
wouldn't have bought it unless it fit. Fairly expensive but they wanted the sale. Can you take the bangle back to where you bought it?
They may size for a reasonable amount.
As far as the TB is concerned...a 3 prong will give you better light saturation but if the diamonds are larger best to keep the TB in a 4 prong.

I agree. I went to Tiffany and asked them about the Victoria bracelet and the sales lady did mention that although they use platinum settings she personally prefers 4 prong claws for larger stones. There's just too much movement in a bracelet compared to a bangle which is rigid.

Last edited:
Reactions: skyqueen