New USPS service sends you pictures of that day's mail

Nikki_

O.G.
May 8, 2012
Updated: Apr 3, 2017 - 12:20 PM

WASHINGTON - Snail mail now has a digital twist.

The United States Postal Service has a new and free service called "Informed Delivery" that lets you see what will arrive in your mailbox that day. For instance, if you're waiting for your IRS refund to arrive, you'll know when it is coming and if it goes missing.

You simply signup for the service, and each morning you'll receive an email with black and white images of the front side of the mail to be delivered to you that day.

The service is already available in most of the Pittsburgh area and should be available in remaining ZIP codes across a majority of the country by April 14.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/new-usps-service-sends-you-pictures-of-that-days-mail/508611944

Reactions: Chanbal
How in the world are they gonna do this on a regular basis?

Their scanning of packages is hit or miss, imo, now they are going to scan every single piece of mail (I assume not the junk mail) and email pics to people? I dunno ...

You're right. This shyt will never work. They can barely keep up with a simple mail forwarding request, much less to this? Nah

I have been getting this for about a year now-it is pretty good, actually. I only wish they did as well with tracking priority mail, which is always a huge mess, for me anyways.

Reactions: whateve
Out of curiosity, I subscribed to the service. My first email arrived today.
"The information below contains images of the letter-sized mail that will be arriving soon.*"
So, no package scans.
"Look for opportunities to interact with your mail where mailer provided content is available!"
Great, now I can interact with my snail mail! :huh:
Bulk mailers can now send mail with special features that "integrate direct mail with digital technology, including augmented reality, video in print, virtual reality, and other approved advanced media to receive a 2% postage discount."
OK, so the new service is useful....to marketers. To me, it's spam.
"USPS’s impetus behind this is simple: increase mail volume and encourage more marketers to adopt an interactive, multi-channel marketing campaign."
https://www.precisiondialogue.com/usps-2017-increase-customer-engagement/

Attachments

• US mail scan.JPG
    US mail scan.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 307
found this thread very informative

but when 1/2 my mail ends up in the trash or recycling bin, don't think I will have a need for this service

looks like USPS is finding a way to sell ads, hope they make money on this one

They can't even manage to track and collect signatures reliably for their current paid-for services. Perhaps they should refocus on improving their current services before trying to offer new one's geared at marketing that will just further annoy the customers...

Reactions: rdgldy
I was on the waiting list for informed delivery and I just began to get my emails this week. It is kind of cool to see what should be in my mailbox today. I have not encountered any interactive pictures yet, and I have no interest in the advertising part of this, which what it really seems to be all about.

I have been in the pilot program for this for about a year. It's actually helpful for me because I get a lot of mail and I'm quickly able to see if something I've been waiting for has arrived. Now if I could only get my postal carrier to be consistent with what time he arrives!

Reactions: watcherboost_com