Please help an H newbie decide what to do

Dec 11, 2006
Hi everyone,

Would appreciate the advice. I only have one Hermes bag (Evelyn in blue electric), and never thought I would ever own one of the ultimate classics (to me a B or a K) because I am not comfortable spending $10k+ on a bag. I personally am not fond of the B due to the size as a handbag but have had a soft spot for the Kelly.

I have an opportunity to buy an excellent condition Kelly Retourne 35 in blue sapphire fjord leather for $5,800. Mind you, I am 5'3" on a good day. From photos, the softer leather and slimmer shape does seem ok for a more petite frame. I love love blue bags.

I currently have a lot of house construction projects however which are already expensive. I also just bought an expensive piece of jewelry. I'm also going to Paris in May and was hoping to get the LV Pochette Metis in empreinte leather in marine rouge (dark blue with red trim), which I thought would be a good functional crossbody bag since I have a two year old and a baby on the way (read: baby = more expenses!). I wanted to take advantage of the lower price in Paris especially with current exchange rates.

I have larger bags already but I don't know if this could be my only opportunity to get a classic H in excellent condition for the price of a Chanel. I like the color a lot as well. But I feel guilty for spending so much with everything going on.

H experts - do you think I could come by an offer like this again? What are good resellers with good prices?

I know I could try to get a Kelly in Paris but from the tpf thread, it seems like you may have to wait over an hour on line and chances are low to be offered something you like. Also not sure how much a K would be there (I know there are a lot of variables to the price as well).

On tpf, I also heard that Hermes will likely not offer a B or K to a Chinese tourist due to suspected counterfeiting. I am Chinese American so I feel like that might lower my chances further.

Sorry for the long rant!!

You don't mention the age of the bag, but am guessing from the price that it is an older bag. Some of the H bags I have loved the most have been my bags that are over 10 years old when I acquired them. I love the softer look of a bag that has been used and love that I don't I feel I have to baby it. The only bag I have ever regretted getting rid of was a 10 year birkin that was wonderfully soft , slouchy and gorgeous. (It was also very reasonably priced when I bought it)

You can definitely save buying new in Europe vs the US but last time I looked a 32 Kelly was over 7,000 euro and the 35 Kelly more than that. So a new bag in euros will be more than the price of this bag. And as you can see from reading the thread about buying in Paris, the likelihood of getting a bag is unpredictable.

I don't really know of this is the right bag for you, but it sounds like it would be a great starter bag at a good price.

Reactions: BBC
FWIW, when I had two little ones I kept carrying my good bags for me. I didn't want to buy an expensive bag that I would always associate with diapers and snacks. I kept my things in my bag and just bought a comparatively inexpensive bag for the DSs things.

Reactions: QuelleFromage
You don't mention the age of the bag, but am guessing from the price that it is an older bag. Some of the H bags I have loved the most have been my bags that are over 10 years old when I acquired them. I love the softer look of a bag that has been used and love that I don't I feel I have to baby it. The only bag I have ever regretted getting rid of was a 10 year birkin that was wonderfully soft , slouchy and gorgeous. (It was also very reasonably priced when I bought it)

You can definitely save buying new in Europe vs the US but last time I looked a 32 Kelly was over 7,000 euro and the 35 Kelly more than that. So a new bag in euros will be more than the price of this bag. And as you can see from reading the thread about buying in Paris, the likelihood of getting a bag is unpredictable.

I don't really know of this is the right bag for you, but it sounds like it would be a great starter bag at a good price.
The bag was made in 2000 and seller bought for her own use in 2010. The leather looks like it has softened but the bag doesn't seem to have lost shape. Corners still look very good.

I'm also going to Paris with family and my two year old. I don't want everyone waiting on me if I attempt an H miracle. :/

FWIW, when I had two little ones I kept carrying my good bags for me. I didn't want to buy an expensive bag that I would always associate with diapers and snacks. I kept my things in my bag and just bought a comparatively inexpensive bag for the DSs things.
Ha definitely wouldn't be using as a diaper bag!

Paris is unpredictable but certainly possible. That being said, you have a lot of blues going on with your blue electric Evelyn and your planned LV purchase. Is there another neutral on your radar? I think once you carry a Kelly you will reach for it all the time. A 35 is a great size and I think it looks casual and chic in a retourne. I use my K35 frequently, especially travel situations. You may gravitate more towards H in general once you have a K...just a warning :smile:

Congrats on your home and family expansions!!

I love blues as well! I would say that if this kelly is something you love, and you think you would regret passing it up, than to go for it. I went to fsh in December. I thought it was bad then, it sounds way more awful now. But it will basically end up consuming your entire morning at least which I would much rather spend with loved ones enjoying Paris! I don't think I would ever do it ever again. Life's too short. Congratulations on your growing family!!

I have a k35 graphite phw and love it to bits. I'm 156 cm / 5'1.5.
That Bleu sapphire is gorgeous (I'm very partial to blues) and partial to Kelly's because of the shoulder strap.
The last time I saw a Kelly was in Capri in may 2009. I grabbed it immediately. When I went to the mothership no b or k.
I also went the preloved route when I couldn't get a Kelly on my hands. Even if I pay a bit more it supercedes waiting for a b or k from the h store forever.
Good luck!

That Bleu sapphire is gorgeous (I'm very partial to blues) and partial to Kelly's because of the shoulder strap.
The last time I saw a Kelly was in Capri in may 2009. I grabbed it immediately. When I went to the mothership no b or k.
I also went the preloved route when I couldn't get a Kelly on my hands. Even if I pay a bit more it supercedes waiting for a b or k from the h store forever.
Good luck!

And you find the size works works well on you?

Do you have any recommendations for resellers? Do you think the price is really good for this condition?

I am 5'4 and 110lbs and the largest I feel comfortable with is a k 32. I love the Kelly given the strap and i feel it goes better with my style than my Evelyns. I use my k 32s all the time with my 2 young kids. It holds all my stuff and water bottle, snacks and an extra diaper and wipes. To me the k35 is too big but it is a comfort thing.
You can try in Paris but it has gotten harder and harder to get a b/k and takes a whole day!
Good luck deciding.

Good luck!

Would you happen to have a photo of yourself with your K35?

And you find the size works works well on you?

Do you have any recommendations for resellers? Do you think the price is really good for this condition?
I don't always think about how the size will look on me all the time because there are needs I have to meet esp when traveling.
I like big bags but as I get older I find I carry only necessities which cannot be compromised like reading glasses, the tons of discount cards I use, tissues etc.
I only have 1 k35 and several k32s in retourne. K32 is ok but k35 is ok too.they're only about an inch apart in terms of width. And the k35 is way less bulky than a b35. I don't find k35s heavy either.