So Black Hardware - Thoughts?

Gal4Dior

O.G.
Nov 30, 2010
I know there have been a few threads discussing the So Black, but I wanted to reach out to ladies who have seen this and either passed on it, or decided it was a must buy.

I'm heading to Europe this May for my honeymoon and I would love to pick out either a So Black classic m/l or either another old Medium or a new medium size Le Boy.

What I really wanted was a chevron so black similar to the one released a couple of years ago. The after market on that style is insane! Almost double the price in most instances!
The black hardware seemed less shiny in those. Plus, I loved the look of the lamb skin. I own only caviar bags thus far.

I hope some who own both can verify this for me. What is putting me off on the classic is the aged look of the calf and what is putting me off a little on both the le boys and the classics is the shininess of the black hardware.

I would love some input! TIA!

i have exactly the same problem as you! I would love the older one and am really unimpressed by this season´s so black on the cf and the boy

i would love the older ones, but i doubt they will be available in paris, i had my SA check regionally as i have been stalking this model for 1 yr+ now but good luck!

Hello! I have the So Black Chevron Jumbo in Lambskin that was available a few years ago and I love it as the Black Hardware is less shiny so the bag is very sophisticated. It was a MUST BUY item for me.

Enjoy your honeymoon in Europe!

Thanks, Passau! So my eyes did not deceive me! I'm glad I wasn't the only one who saw that it wasn't as shiny. How is the lamb holding up on that style? Also I saw that some of the preowned ones sold had evidence of hardware chipping. That scared me. I'm not sure chanel would be able to fix something like that?

i have exactly the same problem as you! I would love the older one and am really unimpressed by this season´s so black on the cf and the boy

i would love the older ones, but i doubt they will be available in paris, i had my SA check regionally as i have been stalking this model for 1 yr+ now but good luck!

Interesting! I didn't know there would be a way to track down that older style at a boutique somewhere? May I ask what region you asked for them to check?

TIA!

Thanks, Passau! So my eyes did not deceive me! I'm glad I wasn't the only one who saw that it wasn't as shiny. How is the lamb holding up on that style? Also I saw that some of the preowned ones sold had evidence of hardware chipping. That scared me. I'm not sure chanel would be able to fix something like that?
I was offered so black boy but passed on it for the reason above. I'd like to have the boy for a few good years and I was concerned about chipping.

I have the so black chevron from a few seasons ago and just bought the so black boy from this season. For the chevron, I haven't had any issues with chipping, but noticed that the turnlock turned very slightly greenish. They told me it was due to the moisture from my fingertips, and luckily, they were able to send it in for repair and swap out the hardware. For the boy, I actually really like how shiny/iridescent the black hardware is, but maybe that's because it's a nice contrast to what I already have? I also felt like the grained lambskin was sooooo beautiful; it was really hard to pass up!

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/instant-reveal-new-17s-so-black-jumbo.960834/page-4

Post# 53: contributed specifically by a collector of multiple season's of Chanel handbags with black hardware. @katiebal mentions greater potential for chipping/peeling of ✨the matte black hardware✨ from previous seasons. In her experience the shiny black hardware, which happens to coincide with the current 17S season, has proven most reliable.

Further, I have been in frequent contact with my Boutique SA regarding the returns/exchanges of any black hardware handbags (Boy Bag + classic flaps, excluding the mini flaps as the quality, in general, is often not comparable) and SLGs from 17S. So far he has had none.

Granted it may be way too soon to tell. However, I sincerely appreciate the details provided in the thread posted above.

✨My fingers are crossed that 17S BHW is a "keeper".✨ :smile:

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/instant-reveal-new-17s-so-black-jumbo.960834/page-4

Post# 53: contributed specifically by a collector of multiple season's of Chanel handbags with black hardware. @katiebal mentions greater potential for chipping/peeling of [emoji92]the matte black hardware[emoji92] from previous seasons. In her experience the shiny black hardware, which happens to coincide with the current 17S season, has proven most reliable.

Further, I have been in frequent contact with my Boutique SA regarding the returns/exchanges of any black hardware handbags (Boy Bag + classic flaps, excluding the mini flaps as the quality, in general, is often not comparable) and SLGs from 17S. So far he has had none.

Granted it may be way too soon to tell. However, I sincerely appreciate the details provided in the thread posted above.

[emoji92]My fingers are crossed that 17S BHW is a "keeper".[emoji92] :smile:

Great info! Thanks, Plumeria! I may be able to learn to love the shiny new black if it is more chip resistant!

Reactions: Plumeria233
Just received my so black boy (new medium) last night and I must say that it's way prettier than what I had expected.
It's got the right amount of shine - not too much but still adds a very nice contrast from the black leather. I prefer this over the matte black hardware. Have you seen it in person? I suggest heading to a store and checking it out. You may just change your mind. :smile:

1.jpg

I actually think that this new 17S shiny black hardware on the boy and classic flap is near identical in shininess to the 15S chevron lambskin. I think it looks shinier on the boy because there is a larger surface area on the chain and clasp. As for durability of the shiny black hardware, as Plumeria mentioned, I have had no issues with the shiny black whatsoever. I really don't stress about future chipping, either, because you can always get your hardware replated/replaced/repaired down the road. The matte black hardware seems to have been the most problematic, it had a few known chipping issues, plus the knob between the CC clasp was prone to fading. If you look on the resale market for this version, most every one you come across will have a faded knob. But, it is really not a big deal... you can send it off to Chanel or Leather Surgeons and get it fixed for a minimal amount.
IMG_0827.JPG

IMG_0830.jpg
In the above pictures, the chain farthest left is the matte black hardware (it looks almost charcoal), next is the 15S lambskin chevron chain, then the 17S calf jumbo chain, and last (farthest right) is the 17S boy chain

IMG_0828.JPG
Here you can maybe see the shininess comparison better by seeing in on a larger surface area- the CC clasp. Hope this is helpful:smile:

Interesting! I didn't know there would be a way to track down that older style at a boutique somewhere? May I ask what region you asked for them to check?

TIA!
oh no! My SA can´t track down old season´s from several years ago (she can upto a season ago regionally in europe, i live in spain). but what she did do was check if paris had chevron bhw for me as some styles don´t get sent to spain and they just keep them in paris

I just received my black mini with black hardware, I agree with previous posters that the shiny black hardware this season seems very durable and chip-resistant compare to previous season (matte hardware). I don't anticipate this shiny black hardware chipping.

I personally think the 17S CF and mini style with BHW is extremely 'chic' and gives off the 'cool girl/edgy' vibe.
The gathered calf skin is matte/satin which contrasts very well with the shiny BHW. On top of all that, the leather is super duper durable, it feels softer than caviar but will hide scratches very well because of the texture; if you manage to scratch this thing.

If you want a 'cool girl/chic' bag, thats basically a worry free tank.. you won't regret it. :biggrin:

If you can't tell, I am in love with mine.. :heart:

I agree with everything snowbubble said!! I absolutely love my so black mini from this season. I never thought I could love a black bag this much - I usually love colour - but the combination of the shiny black hardware and the matte calf skin is so gorgeous! It has a casual vibe that is perfect for everyday. I think you need to see this combo in person to truly appreciate it. And the durability of both the leather and the hardware are an added bonus. I highly recommend this bag!