3 weeks post op review for GNG hospital

mgmog

Dec 19, 2016
Some of you probably know me already from certain kakaotalk group. So here I decide to write up my whole experience and hopefully can serve as a reference to people who may find it useful. I will try to keep things easy and hopefully interesting to read.

TL/DR: Surgery done. Didn't die. So far so good.

Once upon a time before plastic surgery was as prevalent as today, the young and naive me spontaneously went under rhinoplasty and facial contouring surgery(it wasn't even called that back then) on a whim. Fast forward to modern days, I felt the result left something to be desired so I decided to do them again for revision.

Action speaks louder than thoughts. I actually went from considering doing it to actually doing it within a month. I consulted few places online but ended up with GNG hospital mainly because:
  • They have proper hospital ward for post op recovery. For major surgeries, you are required to stay in hospital for 2 days.
  • I've seen some real life cases online(not the before/after pictures on their website) from other people and was quite pleased by their experience and result.
  • They have onsite emergency response measures for the surgery. Safety first.
Also since my plan was to do the surgery the second day right after I arrive, I asked if I could stay at the hospital the first night after I arrive there and they were flexible and nice enough to arrange that.

So 2, 3 weeks after everything's scheduled, I arrived at Seoul as planned. I was picked up the driver arranged by GNG. Shortly after I arrived at the hospital, I was greeted by Hazel who's been in contact with me. After that, I met Dr. Choi who's going to be the surgeon for the facial contouring surgery. During the meeting, we basically went through what I wanted to achieve and what was to be done for that. For my rhinoplasty surgery, I chose Dr. Seong but since it was getting late so I would meet him the next day.

Because I was staying at the hospital and didn't know any Korean, Hazel helped me order food delivery, which was very nice of her. I knew basically that's my last proper meal for some time so I ate everything like it's my last day on earth. And yeah, no water after midnight because of surgery next day.

The fateful next day finally came. I eventually met Dr. Seong and talked over the procedure. One interesting part was that he suggested Gortex for the implant instead of silicon as it'd look nicer on men. My previous implant was also Gortex so I asked if it's gonna complicate the surgery but he said it'd be just 20 extra minutes to remove it compared to silicone.

After blood examination, x-ray, photograph and other things, everything's set in motion and I was just waiting to go into the operation room. Hazel asked me if I was nervous. I told her no right away probably because it's not my first time and I wasn't scared of those type of things. I knew what I was getting myself into and how everything would go.

It's time for the surgery finally. This is how I felt during the surgery,
......:sleepy:...............:sleepy:.............:sleepy:.............
I didn't know because I was under anesthesia of course. The only thing I remembered was being pushed into a wheelchair or something and then later transported to the bed.

I went into the surgery around 1PM I believe and it was already 8PM when I finally regained consciousness. As expected, I woke up with very dry mouth and extremely thirsty. And there was one song that's playing in my head "Can't feel my face". Also as expected, my face was extremely swollen. I could barely open my eyes and my mouth looked like Kylie Jenner x 100. There were tubes inside my mouth to drain my blood and tube down there to drain my urine which was a bit embarrassing. I didn't feel much pain but just very uncomfortable because I couldn't breathe through my nose and was very thirsty. It wasn't the first time I went through that and I wouldn't want to go through it again. Nonetheless, I was happy that the surgery was over and I felt like a victorious warrior just back from fighting ISIS who suffered extreme facial injuries.

While I was in my ward, there were nurses checking and changing the painkiller IV drops every few hours. There were nurses working there 24 hours as well so if anything, you could buzz them in. The first 2 days after surgery was the worst because I could only eat(drink) liquid kind of food. But luckily the hospital provided juice and porridge when I was there. I couldn't really open my mouth so I had to basically shove everything into my mouth and swallow without chewing it much. Also during the first 2 days, I got more swollen and got heavy bruises on my face. I was basically an orc all the way from Mordor and Bruise Lee at the same time.

By the time I was discharged from the hospital, I was given a set of things to help recovery with me like pumpkin juice, ice/heat pack, meds for days, etc. I was also booked for appointments for post op deswelling care process.

I won't go into detail of the recovery time after I got out of the hospital. But the gist is basically despite I had black and purple eyes and swollen face like a muffin with raisins, I went out in the city being a tourist like a boss. I could never forget climbing up the mountain in Namsan park and ended up grasping my last breath and having nosebleed midway at the same time. What a sight to behold. :noworry:

Now it's been 3 weeks since the surgery. I'm still fairly swollen since it's revision surgery after all and still quite early in the recovery process. I still have some yellow residues on my skin due to bruises and can't smile naturally, which I don't care because I'm Asian(I'm actually very pale but whatevs) and I have resting ***** face most of the time anyways. What really bothers me is that I still cannot open my mouth fully or chew too hard which means I can't eat some of the things I really like(RIP potato chips and corns :-s:yucky:).

So yeah basically that's how everything went down and I'm getting tired and lazy so I shall stop here. I hope people can find it useful and hopefully help you decide which clinics you wanna choose.

Also to avoid the same questions getting asked over and over again, I'm going to compile a list of FAQ here.

Q: How much did the surgery cost?
A: My surgery was revision so it's more expensive than normal ones. But I got some discount so essentially the extra amount for revision was waived. The final price is basically in the same ball park of your normal primary surgeries which is 8m to 10m for facial contouring, 4m to 7m for rhinoplasty respectively.

Q: Can you show me the before/after photos?
A: I'm still quite swollen at the moment so the photos aren't really that helpful right now. Also you may see the photos on GNG website one day anyways. I do have personal instagram but no after pictures yet.

Q: Which doctors did you choose?
A: It's in the post, read it! But for your laziness, Dr. Choi for facial contouring, Dr. Seong for rhinoplasty.

Q: How's the recovery going?
A: So far so good. It's taking longer than normal due to revision.

Q: Which clinic did you go to?
A: ......

Congrats on getting it done! Can you describe more about the exact things you wanted to change with your facial contouring and rhino? Did you have a clear idea of what you wanted done and they just executed that or did the docs suggest anything different?

What did they actually do for the facial contouring? I knew revision can complicate rhino, is it the same for facial contouring? About goretex looking better on guys, I guess he was basing that on the shape of the inserts he had available? Was the implant for the tip?

Congrats on getting it done! Can you describe more about the exact things you wanted to change with your facial contouring and rhino? Did you have a clear idea of what you wanted done and they just executed that or did the docs suggest anything different?

What did they actually do for the facial contouring? I knew revision can complicate rhino, is it the same for facial contouring? About goretex looking better on guys, I guess he was basing that on the shape of the inserts he had available? Was the implant for the tip?

Basically softer facial features with no angular angles. Smooth line along the jaw to the chin and cheek bones too. For nose, narrower nose and reduce the size of nose tip. I have some ideas but doctors also had some recommendation and limitation of techniques. So basically it's combination of both.

For facial contouring, it's basically jaw reduction, chin reduction and move forward, cheekbone reduction. Revision will complicate the surgery for sure and you will get more swollen and longer recovery time than primary surgery. But if the doctor has experience and skill, the complications can be minimized.

I'm not too sure about the details about gortex but I think it's because for guys, they usually want a straight nose instead of curvy ones for girls. Goretex is more natural when it comes to that shape. The implant for tip is either your own septum cartilage or ear if your nose doesn't have enough cartilage, or even rib if your ear is not enough.

hahah i LOVE your review. So funny! how is your recovery coming along? I had goretex too for my bridge (im female), and I agree, revision def complicates the surgery a lot more. I understand they will have to "scrape" mine out. Can I ask why did you choose Dr. Seong? I was looking into revision with Dr. Hong since there was a worker who had revision with him and her nosewas really pretty, but im not 100% yet on which doc to choose

hahah i LOVE your review. So funny! how is your recovery coming along? I had goretex too for my bridge (im female), and I agree, revision def complicates the surgery a lot more. I understand they will have to "scrape" mine out. Can I ask why did you choose Dr. Seong? I was looking into revision with Dr. Hong since there was a worker who had revision with him and her nosewas really pretty, but im not 100% yet on which doc to choose
Hi Loverly, did you decide which doctor yet?
also, are you doing the surgey soon?