Was just issued a refund for boots I bought/received last month? Never requested one.

jenbuggy85

I'd rather be thrifting.
O.G.
Oct 17, 2008
Hi everyone! I'll start this by saying I'm getting ready to write the seller! :smile:

Last month (to the day) I purchased a pair of boots using eBay/PayPal. I purchased another pair through PayPal a couple days ago and have been waiting for the tracking number for it. While I was signed in I see that my payment for the first pair was still "pending" and today (exactly one month since purchase) I see that I've been issued a refund for the entire amount. I never filed a dispute or anything. I love these boots and have been wearing them daily, lol!

The eBay seller was brand spanking new, zero feedback. I was her first customer. Today I see she has zero listings and one positive from me and one negative from someone else. Do you think she meant to refund the other person? The difference in price was quite a bit, I don't see how she got that amount mixed up?

Edit to add: On my eBay account it now says I have one item awaiting payment and it's for those boots. :/

Anyways, looking forward to the replies! Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I'll start this by saying I'm getting ready to write the seller! :smile:
Last month (to the day) I purchased a pair of boots using eBay/PayPal. I purchased another pair through PayPal a couple days ago and have been waiting for the tracking number for it. While I was signed in I see that my payment for the first pair was still "pending" and today (exactly one month since purchase) I see that I've been issued a refund for the entire amount. I never filed a dispute or anything. I love these boots and have been wearing them daily, lol!

It does sound like the seller clicked on the wrong PayPal transaction to refund. I would write to the seller to clarify and make a PP payment of that amount back to them.

Reactions: jenbuggy85
Did you buy both pairs from the same seller? If so, I suspect uadjit is correct in thinking that the seller refunded for the wrong pair.

If you bought the second (not received) pair from a different seller, it makes no sense why you got a refund for the boots you got.

As for "awaiting payment" note, that's normal for an item that has been refunded.

Thanks ladies! The two pairs were from two separate sellers. So weird. Yep, going to write the seller now, I have no intention of getting a freebie! Lol! I appreciate the replies, thank you!

Edit to add: just wrote seller. Waiting for reply. What do I do if she never replies? Send a money order and a letter if I can find her address? Lol!

Last edited:
Wait to see what happens and if she responds. If paypal issued a refund, certainly she'll get notification.

I don't know how you contacted her but if you only contacted through ebay, I'd suggest sending another message directly to her PP email address, something that should be in your email acknowledgement (from when you made payment) or in your PP account.

IMG_7057.JPG Thank you! I sent the first message through eBay and now I will send her another message through PayPal as well. I'll come back with an update if/when she (hopefully!) replies. :smile:

Adding pic of said boots.... just because. Haha. I collect vintage (black label Frye) boots! These puppies are from 1974 and I'm so in love.

View attachment 3636629 Thank you! I sent the first message through eBay and now I will send her another message through PayPal as well. I'll come back with an update if/when she (hopefully!) replies. :smile:

Adding pic of said boots.... just because. Haha. I collect vintage (black label Frye) boots! These puppies are from 1974 and I'm so in love.

The minute I saw them I was like.............great condition vintage Frye's!!!!! :nuts:
sigh.....................1974. The year I graduated high school :doh:

The minute I saw them I was like.............great condition vintage Frye's!!!!! :nuts:
sigh.....................1974. The year I graduated high school :doh:

Ha! You should see my burgundy ones! Same boots, just 2" shorter. There's just something about these black labels. They're absolutely made to stand the test of time. And the last the boot was made from, it just fits and wears on my feet so much better than anything newer they've came out with.

Still no word from seller. Poor girl, I hope she sees my messages. Ahh. I have a feeling she just doesn't know how any of this works, which is why IM scared to sell, lol.

If your payment for the first pair of boots has been sat as "pending" for a month then you've received an auto-refund and not something that the seller has manually done.

When payments sit in a pending state like that it means the seller hasn't set their paypal account up properly or has typed an incorrect paypal email address into the box when they set up their ebay listing.

Your payment has been sat in paypal limbo all that time. Strange that the seller hasn't done anything about trying to claim their money though (in that 30 day period that is).

If your payment for the first pair of boots has been sat as "pending" for a month then you've received an auto-refund and not something that the seller has manually done.

When payments sit in a pending state like that it means the seller hasn't set their paypal account up properly or has typed an incorrect paypal email address into the box when they set up their ebay listing.

Your payment has been sat in paypal limbo all that time. Strange that the seller hasn't done anything about trying to claim their money though (in that 30 day period that is).
If that's the case, the seller wouldn't have gotten the green light to ship. Paypal doesn't give the "okay to ship" authorization until the payment is complete, whether it's a cleared e-check, a pending payment (where the seller has to upgrade the account0 or any other reason.

You just cannot print the shipping label until payment is cleared, accepted and available in the seller's account.

If that's the case, the seller wouldn't have gotten the green light to ship. Paypal doesn't give the "okay to ship" authorization until the payment is complete, whether it's a cleared e-check, a pending payment (where the seller has to upgrade the account0 or any other reason.

You just cannot print the shipping label until payment is cleared, accepted and available in the seller's account.

Surely that depends on the seller. The OP said it was a new seller so am guessing they don't know the system. It sounds like the seller didn't even sign into paypal otherwise they would have realised they hadn't been paid. Couple inexperience with PP holds it's entirely feasible that the seller shipped without realising they hadn't been paid.

As for printing shipping labels, I never do that. I always hand-write my labels and go to the Post Office.

Surely that depends on the seller. The OP said it was a new seller so am guessing they don't know the system. It sounds like the seller didn't even sign into paypal otherwise they would have realised they hadn't been paid. Couple inexperience with PP holds it's entirely feasible that the seller shipped without realising they hadn't been paid.
When a buyer makes a payment, Paypal sends an email. Even if it's a pending payment, i.e., e-check has to clear or buyer used c.c. and seller hasn't upgraded account to accept credit cards yet, the paypal transaction show in her account. It just won't show as cleared and won't say, "okay to ship."

But as a new seller, it's likely that the seller didn't realize what was happening. Having received an email from paypal saying, "you received a payment (or pending payment)," she probably thought she had to ship.
As for printing shipping labels, I never do that. I always hand-write my labels and go to the Post Office.
That's a way she could conceivably have shipped without having a cleared payment. Just copy the address on to a shipping label, attach postage and it's off.

Whatever happened, the seller doesn't have the money and the buyer has both the boots and the money now.

I commend the OP/buyer for trying to find a way to repay the seller.

I have another idea for the OP.
@jenbuggy85, have you tried using Paypal's "send money" button to pay her? You can send money to her email address with the notation that it's for the lovely Frye boots that you received, wear and now had received a refund for.

When a buyer makes a payment, Paypal sends an email. Even if it's a pending payment, i.e., e-check has to clear or buyer used c.c. and seller hasn't upgraded account to accept credit cards yet, the paypal transaction show in her account. It just won't show as cleared and won't say, "okay to ship."

But as a new seller, it's likely that the seller didn't realize what was happening. Having received an email from paypal saying, "you received a payment (or pending payment)," she probably thought she had to ship.

That's a way she could conceivably have shipped without having a cleared payment. Just copy the address on to a shipping label, attach postage and it's off.

Whatever happened, the seller doesn't have the money and the buyer has both the boots and the money now.

@jenbuggy85, have you tried using Paypal's "send money" button to pay her? You can send money to her email address with the notation that it's for the lovely Frye boots that you received, wear and now had received a refund for.
I wouldn't send money without first hearing from the seller. It's possible the money never got to her because she input her Paypal address wrong. If she input the wrong Paypal address, she is probably not receiving your messages.

This happened to me once when I first started selling on ebay. I made a typo in my email address in my ebay listing. No one with the email address I entered had a Paypal account so the money was pending. Paypal told me I could make an email for the typo and then I could claim the money, but I couldn't do that since it contained a character that wasn't allowed in gmail. I had to tell the buyer to cancel her payment and rebuy once I corrected the listing.

Thanks for the replies ladies! Seller hasn't written me back yet :sad: I sent two messages, one through eBay and one through PayPal. I did a little digging and think I might've found who she is, lol!

I'm honestly not sure how long it had been pending. The only reason I mentioned the second pair of boots in my OP was because I bought them only though PayPal and that was the only reason I had checked PayPal in the first place, otherwise I never would've noticed it as I don't use PayPal often and I don't have access (my choice!) to our bank account.

If I send her another payment through PayPal without her contacting me first, do you think that payment would also just sit there and eventually get kicked back as well if she doesn't except in a certain amount of time?

I have no desire to keep both the boots and money, I've felt dirty the last day because currently I have them both! I'm very interested in getting her paid. I found a blog that may be hers that I'm going to try contact through. If that doesn't work, do you think I could possibly get info from PayPal?

Feeling quite yucky about it! :/