Help! [Seeking Opinions~] Mysterious spots on my scarves

tlgoh1

Oct 23, 2010
Dear all,

I would like to ask for your opinion/ comments. I have purchased a 90cm x 90cm carre from Hermes six years ago. The design was Nuees Imaginaires. I collect those scarves intended for hanging and displaying. Therefore, I never really wear them. The scarves were kept in the original boxes and I take them out occasionally to breathe.

Recently, to my horror, I realized there is one small section of my scarves started to have some light spots and it seems it only affect the dark blue colour (as shown in pic), the lighter area or white area were not affected. My worry is that this mysterious spot will spread over other area of my scarf.

I have contacted my local H store, my lovely SA told me they will be sending to Jeeves for dry cleaning and will see what's the outcome. If the spots still persist, she recommended me to send back to Paris and let them have a check but the entire process sending to them and back would take about six months.

Would like to ask if anyone had similar problems with their scarfs before? Those fellow cleaning experts.. could share if any chance of removing those spots? Im so worried now.

Many thanks in advance !

Attachments

• pic1.PNG
    pic1.PNG
    2.7 MB · Views: 476
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    220.9 KB · Views: 469
  • pic3.PNG
    pic3.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 484
  • pic4.PNG
    pic4.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 481
Dear all,

I would like to ask for your opinion/ comments. I have purchased a 90cm x 90cm carre from Hermes six years ago. The design was Nuees Imaginaires. I collect those scarves intended for hanging and displaying. Therefore, I never really wear them. The scarves were kept in the original boxes and I take them out occasionally to breathe.

Recently, to my horror, I realized there is one small section of my scarves started to have some light spots and it seems it only affect the dark blue colour (as shown in pic), the lighter area or white area were not affected. My worry is that this mysterious spot will spread over other area of my scarf.

I have contacted my local H store, my lovely SA told me they will be sending to Jeeves for dry cleaning and will see what's the outcome. If the spots still persist, she recommended me to send back to Paris and let them have a check but the entire process sending to them and back would take about six months.

Would like to ask if anyone had similar problems with their scarfs before? Those fellow cleaning experts.. could share if any chance of removing those spots? Im so worried now.

Many thanks in advance !

I am sorry you're experiencing this! It looks like mold to me. Are you in a humid area? If they have been boxed for 6 years in any kind of humidity, that is the environment that mold loves. It's possible someone here will have advice for dealing with mold. In the meantime, you may consider removing your silks from their boxes and airing them well, checking carefully for any similar spots or musty/mildew smell.

Last edited:
It looks like mold to me. Are you in a humid area? If they have been boxed for 6 years in any kind of humidity, that is the environment that mold loves. They will probably come back from the dry cleaners good as new. :smile:

Hi Prepster, thank you so much for the reply! I do live in the tropics. So, yes I live in a humid climate. Any reason why it seems to affect the dark blue colours? Seems a bit strange if it's mold, they could have grown and spread throughout. But I am relieved to know they will come back from dry cleaners good as new. ~ Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Reactions: prepster
I agree that it looks like mold. The discoloration is perhaps more visible on a dark background. Or perhaps there is something in the blue dye that mold likes to feed on. Did you try to gently brush the scarf? Is there any smell?

I agree that it looks like mold. The discoloration is perhaps more visible on a dark background. Or perhaps there is something in the blue dye that mold likes to feed on. Did you try to gently brush the scarf? Is there any smell?

I have tried gently brush the scarf, nothing happens. I use Q-tips dampened with water and brush on it slightly, nothing happens. There isn't any smell too.

Visually, the spots are not as obvious as the picture. I used the phone camera, somehow through photo, the colour contrast made it more obvious.

Yesterday I bought it back to H store, my SA is equally baffled. No moldy odour, majority of the spots located on the dark blue dye, only one or two spots around other areas. No spots observed on lighter and white area.

Would like to know if dry clean could get rid of it? Many thanks!

Hi Prepster, thank you so much for the reply! I do live in the tropics. So, yes I live in a humid climate. Any reason why it seems to affect the dark blue colours? Seems a bit strange if it's mold, they could have grown and spread throughout. But I am relieved to know they will come back from dry cleaners good as new. ~ Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

As Louis74 suggests, it may be throughout, but is just more visible on dark colors. It is also possible that mold "likes" certain ink colors/formulations more than others and is particularly attracted to that indigo. Be sure to inform the dry cleaners that it is mold/mildew so they can treat your scarves properly. :smile:

Last edited:
Reactions: papertiger
As Louis74 suggests, it may be throughout, but more visible on dark colors. It is also possible that mold "likes" certain ink colors/formulations more than others and is particularly attracted to that indigo. Be sure to inform the dry cleaners that it is mold/mildew so they can treat your scarves properly. :smile:

Thanks for replies! Now the scarf is with my SA, she said she will send to Jeeves to be treated / dry clean. I am just praying hard that it will get rid of the stains.... this scarf has a sentimental value for me because it is my first ever scarf bought from H.

Thanks for replies! Now the scarf is with my SA, she said she will send to Jeeves to be treated / dry clean. I am just praying hard that it will get rid of the stains.... this scarf has a sentimental value for me because it is my first ever scarf bought from H.

Agreeing with others here

Good luck tlgoh1!

Thank you so much papertiger.. i really need those luck now!!! Have sent another one to Jeeves for cleaning to prevent anything happen... hope Jeeves will do a good job.. they hold the Royal Warrant from Prince Charles... fingers crossed!
So sorry your scarf has become discoloured, and hoping it can be fixed.
In addition to mold, you might consider acid damage from the tissue paper and cardboard box in which the scarf is stored. I doubt H uses acid-free papers to wrap its products. In either case, the box will have to go, and you'll have to rethink your storage options.
Good luck!

A week passed, thought of calling my local H on any updates on sending my scarf for dry cleaning. To my horror, they did not 'process' my request and the scarf is still sitting in their store. Totally disappointed and outraged. I planned to collect back my scarf and send to Jeeves on my own. Goodness gracious me. God knows whether it will deteriorate by leaving it there for another week in the box. So worried and bothered by it.

So sorry your scarf has become discoloured, and hoping it can be fixed.
In addition to mold, you might consider acid damage from the tissue paper and cardboard box in which the scarf is stored. I doubt H uses acid-free papers to wrap its products. In either case, the box will have to go, and you'll have to rethink your storage options.
Good luck!

Does any one know for certain if this is true about the tissue paper? If so, I will need to rethink the entire way in which I store my scarf collection..