Coated Canvas Opinions

zjones

Apr 30, 2016
Hello ladies and gents. :smile:

With the event going on now, I'm eyeing some of the things in the yankee floral print, but I'm not sure how I feel about the coated canvas. When I think Coach, I think leather, not canvas. Do any of you have anything in their coated canvas, and if so, how does it fare compared to the leather goods?

Thanks, and have a great day!
-Zach

Hello ladies and gents. :smile:

With the event going on now, I'm eyeing some of the things in the yankee floral print, but I'm not sure how I feel about the coated canvas. When I think Coach, I think leather, not canvas. Do any of you have anything in their coated canvas, and if so, how does it fare compared to the leather goods?

Thanks, and have a great day!
-Zach

I have the Nolita wristlet in the yankee floral print and love it! The coated canvas is great - low maintenance and the colors are really vibrant. I say go for it. The only coated canvas item I have from Coach.
IMG_1489617081.798848.jpg

Reactions: momofgirls
Thanks, BeachBagGal! :biggrin: About how much does that hold? I don't carry much -- usually just a small wallet/card case, a Chapstick/lip balm, keys, a mini-sized hand sanitizer, and maybe my migraine meds if I feel like one might come on. If I'm going somewhere where I know there's a wait (a restaurant while waiting for a table, or if I'm by myself, while waiting for my food) I'll bring along my Nintendo DS, but that's not an always-on-me thing.

I've always been a big fan of leather. I have only one coated canvas bag I bought two years ago and it's been very low maintenance. However I don't wear it daily. It's leopard print and I only wear it with certain outfits. I haven't cleaned it once since my purchase. My only resistance to buying Coated canvas is because it's canvas! It's just fabric!! Yes it's specially treated and low maintenance but I often find it too pricey to pay for a bag that's only made of fabric. This thought process is exactly why I probably will never buy LV at full retail price. I "may" buy something used in future, not sure. But when I compare a vintage leather Coach to a vintage LV of the same age, I have always noticed the vintage Coach bags are in far better condition than the LV ones. And you can refurbish to bring back new life to leather. I don't think that holds the same for coated canvas once it's cracked and peeled etc. But I haven't owned CC long enough to really weigh in on the benefits.

Reactions: ildera5 and JVSXOXO
Thanks, BeachBagGal! :biggrin: About how much does that hold? I don't carry much -- usually just a small wallet/card case, a Chapstick/lip balm, keys, a mini-sized hand sanitizer, and maybe my migraine meds if I feel like one might come on. If I'm going somewhere where I know there's a wait (a restaurant while waiting for a table, or if I'm by myself, while waiting for my food) I'll bring along my Nintendo DS, but that's not an always-on-me thing.

For a wristlet it's pretty roomy. It has two card slots so I can go without the wallet (unless small card case) and a slip pocket. I carry my phone, anti-bac,keys, gum, a couple glosses/lipstick, and still have a little room. I like that I can tuck the chain inside and attach a strap (I'm using my Dinky leather one) to carry crossbody. It's a little wider than some of the other wristlets so I feel like you can carry more. Hope that helps! [emoji3]

I've always been a big fan of leather. I have only one coated canvas bag I bought two years ago and it's been very low maintenance. However I don't wear it daily. It's leopard print and I only wear it with certain outfits. I haven't cleaned it once since my purchase. My only resistance to buying Coated canvas is because it's canvas! It's just fabric!! Yes it's specially treated and low maintenance but I often find it too pricey to pay for a bag that's only made of fabric. This thought process is exactly why I probably will never buy LV at full retail price. I "may" buy something used in future, not sure. But when I compare a vintage leather Coach to a vintage LV of the same age, I have always noticed the vintage Coach bags are in far better condition than the LV ones. And you can refurbish to bring back new life to leather. I don't think that holds the same for coated canvas once it's cracked and peeled etc. But I haven't owned CC long enough to really weigh in on the benefits.
If you get stains on coated canvas, they get underneath the coating and are impossible to get rid of. Same with odors. I don't know how this happens but it does. I've seen some old coated canvas pieces that yellowed, particularly Dooney & Bourke. I don't remember seeing Coaches with this problem.

I agree with you about LV vs vintage Coach. As an aside, vintage Coach generally holds up better than some premium brands I've come across. I've had vintage Gucci leather and vintage Fendi coated canvas and they didn't hold up well at all. Many Fendis and Guccis were lined with some kind of vinyl that disintegrated over time.

I love the current Yankee floral print. I can see myself owning a few accessories in it, probably not a bag. I try to keep from buying bags in prints because they are hard to coordinate with clothing.

Reactions: houseof999
I just recently bought my second coated canvas item - a wristlet from FOS, based on good experiences with a cc wallet/wristlet I have used for several years (ticking stripe wallet/wristlet from 2012-13, I think?). I seriously have carried that almost constantly for 3+ years, and it still looks really good! And I'm not "easy" on my wallets :smile:

I could post a pic when I grab it again... I actually just transitioned to a different color wallet so it's packed away. But I don't think I'd want a cc bag because my pet peeve is corner wear and having no way to fix it would bug me!! :annoyed:

I love Coach's coated canvas and wish they did a ton more in this material! I just bought a wallet and a key holder and love both pieces to bits. I get very tired of all of the extra leather pieces in my bags adding weight. Coated canvas is much lighter and is quite resilient as well. Plus they're pretty and add color, what's not to love?

IMG_6905.JPG

I have a wallet in coated canvas and I love it. I had a signature wallet before & it was filthy by the time I retired it. My small leather wallets are fine but I only use for those for travel. If you aren't sure start with something small to see how you like it.

I have a Coach Medium Zip wallet in Willow Floral print coated canvas that I have been using as my daily driver wallet for about three months now, always pretty stuffed and it is still in excellent shape, no cracking of the print or the canvas.

i would go with darker colors or patterns in canvas. I had a Coach coated canvas wallet that I loved, but it had lighter colors including white and it got dirty or "stained with dirt". This was from regular use; I did not drop any staining agent on it. It's a shame because I loved it. It just could not be cleaned - the dirt marks would not even reduce mildly. I only got two good years out of it although I carried it for 3. The wallet is still in excellent condition in terms of shape and stitching, but it is obviously dirty. I usually get 5-7 years out of a wallet. (I only use one wallet at a time.)

i would go with darker colors or patterns in canvas. I had a Coach coated canvas wallet that I loved, but it had lighter colors including white and it got dirty or "stained with dirt". This was from regular use; I did not drop any staining agent on it. It's a shame because I loved it. It just could not be cleaned - the dirt marks would not even reduce mildly. I only got two good years out of it although I carried it for 3. The wallet is still in excellent condition in terms of shape and stitching, but it is obviously dirty. I usually get 5-7 years out of a wallet. (I only use one wallet at a time.)

Have to agree with you here. Darker is the way to go to avoid stains although maybe if you catch them in time they could be cleaned? I don't know, but I also know that wallets get a lot of use and who wants to worry about cleaning their wallet all the time? Not me!
Love my darker canvas colors!

Reactions: carterazo