Costco for Designer Handbags?

christinemliu

Massaccesi Soulmate Midi
Dec 4, 2014
I just noticed Costco.com is selling Marc Jacobs, Coach, Lanvin, Kate Spade and Rebecca Minkoff, at competitive prices. I love Costco...but would never think to shop there for handbags...Though I have seen the occasional The Sak and Kooba...thoughts? Would assume their awesome return policy would apply!

Depends where they get them. A few years ago there was quite an uproar when Costco started selling Gucci bags and I believe it turned out they were actually counterfeits.
If these bags are legitimately sourced there may still be a quality issue. I was at Costco earlier this week and they are selling men's Levi's for 29.99. The material is noticeably thinner than what is sold for higher prices at other stores.

Last year, if I remember correctly, they had Lodis zip wallets real cheap but apparently those had zip issues.

However, their return policy should apply, just be sure to check.

I've also seen the tables with designer bags in the store itself. I've just glimpsed at the prices, and they're a great price if they're authentic. I'd hate to think that they would sell counterfeit anything. They sell pretty high end watches at great prices too, and I've never heard the possibility of them being counterfeit

Reactions: christinemliu
I would skip it. There's a reason why its being sold in costco rather than in the actual store so the quality is different as you would normally expect. But if it doesnt bother you and you just need something to put your stuff in then I think its a good deal for the price. Just dont have high expectations for it.

Reactions: lulilu
I wouldnt purchase from Costco. Seems like when you see designer bags there or at TJ Maxx the leather always seems thinner, or just somehow diffrent from what you would get at the boutique.

I don't have a Costco close by, but I do have a Sam's Club and I noticed the same things. Coach, MK, Tory Burch, etc handbags. They also have Tag Heuer and Breitling. But my husband, a collector of watches, said they are not counterfeit just gray market watches. Personally, I wouldn't buy any bags from there. I just don't care for any of those brands anymore. I loved Coach years ago, but not interested now. But I wouldn't judge anyone if they wanted to buy bags from there either. To each his own.

Hi there,
Newbie here.
I've seen them too! Didn't go too close but saw a lovely backpack.
Question please - how can you tell if they are real? Is Costco even allowed to sell counterfeit bags?

I just noticed Costco.com is selling Marc Jacobs, Coach, Lanvin, Kate Spade and Rebecca Minkoff, at competitive prices. I love Costco...but would never think to shop there for handbags...Though I have seen the occasional The Sak and Kooba...thoughts? Would assume their awesome return policy would apply!

I would disagree strenuously with all the responses telling you not to buy, because Costco has that 100% satisfaction guaranteed policy you mention. Unlike TJ Maxx, I don't think they are buying seconds for the bags they sell online or only have one or two in each store. (The items of 'lesser' quality are the things they carry a bunch of stock; those Levis for example, or the Lodis bag they were carrying for $60 during the holidays. Those aren't seconds, but they *are* made for Costco.) The Costcos in fancy neighborhoods do carry Chanel bags from time to time. If you check regularly, they have Balenciagas, Pradas, Burberrys, etc. But they only carry one or two of each bag, so they sell out fast. I exclusively buy my fine jewelry from Costco and when I take it to the jeweler's for appraisal, they are always impressed and appraise it for significantly more than I paid for. They knock off a lot of Tiffany designs for significantly less, for example. They carried the $20k Tiffany engagement ring I liked for $7k, and the diamonds were bigger. And as an example of their a generous returns, I bought my dad a Fitbit a year ago; it broke recently and they took it back no questions asked *a whole year later*.

Back to purses, you CAN find better deals if you look, have access to great sample sales or good Nordstrom Racks, but if you have been hunting for a bag and see it there I wouldn't even hesitate.

ETA: and their makeup selection is phenomenal, I buy all my Chanel/Dior/etc. Mascara and lipstick from them.

I would disagree strenuously with all the responses telling you not to buy, because Costco has that 100% satisfaction guaranteed policy you mention. Unlike TJ Maxx, I don't think they are buying seconds for the bags they sell online or only have one or two in each store. (The items of 'lesser' quality are the things they carry a bunch of stock; those Levis for example, or the Lodis bag they were carrying for $60 during the holidays. Those aren't seconds, but they *are* made for Costco.) The Costcos in fancy neighborhoods do carry Chanel bags from time to time. If you check regularly, they have Balenciagas, Pradas, Burberrys, etc. But they only carry one or two of each bag, so they sell out fast. I exclusively buy my fine jewelry from Costco and when I take it to the jeweler's for appraisal, they are always impressed and appraise it for significantly more than I paid for. They knock off a lot of Tiffany designs for significantly less, for example. They carried the $20k Tiffany engagement ring I liked for $7k, and the diamonds were bigger. And as an example of their a generous returns, I bought my dad a Fitbit a year ago; it broke recently and they took it back no questions asked *a whole year later*.

Back to purses, you CAN find better deals if you look, have access to great sample sales or good Nordstrom Racks, but if you have been hunting for a bag and see it there I wouldn't even hesitate.

ETA: and their makeup selection is phenomenal, I buy all my Chanel/Dior/etc. Mascara and lipstick from them.
Thank you so much, hearing your experience helps a lot! Especially I have also wondered about their jewelry and that is awesome. And wow, didn't realize they sell makeup too.

Hi there,
Newbie here.
I've seen them too! Didn't go too close but saw a lovely backpack.
Question please - how can you tell if they are real? Is Costco even allowed to sell counterfeit bags?
It's illegal to sell counterfeit bags; I assume when it happened before Costco had assumed that vendor was trustworthy. But if you bought a designer bag, there are authentication services you can find, where you pay someone and they can tell you if it's real or fake. Some of the expert Purse Forum members here can do an initial one for you; depends on the designer. You will have to search through the forum to find the authentication threads. Be sure to read the first posts on the authentication thread because some require you to be a member for a certain amount of time and also have a certain # of posts already to get used to this site. And remember the ones here do it out of their own time, willingness, and good heart, so double check what pictures they ask for.

If the bag turns out to be fake, you can always return it. I do love Costco's return policy. I liked the Fitbit story the previous poster talked about!

It's illegal to sell counterfeit bags; I assume when it happened before Costco had assumed that vendor was trustworthy. But if you bought a designer bag, there are authentication services you can find, where you pay someone and they can tell you if it's real or fake. Some of the expert Purse Forum members here can do an initial one for you; depends on the designer. You will have to search through the forum to find the authentication threads. Be sure to read the first posts on the authentication thread because some require you to be a member for a certain amount of time and also have a certain # of posts already to get used to this site. And remember the ones here do it out of their own time, willingness, and good heart, so double check what pictures they ask for.

If the bag turns out to be fake, you can always return it. I do love Costco's return policy. I liked the Fitbit story the previous poster talked about!

See now - here's me thinking there's a "sign" or something you look for inside the bag.
Thank you - just getting involved in bags so good to know.
I have a love/hate relationship with Costco but they do have the better deals. I have also hears that their jewelry is of great quality.
And YES on beauty products. I always buy my bio-oil from there too.

See now - here's me thinking there's a "sign" or something you look for inside the bag.
Thank you - just getting involved in bags so good to know.
I have a love/hate relationship with Costco but they do have the better deals. I have also hears that their jewelry is of great quality.
And YES on beauty products. I always buy my bio-oil from there too.
Oh no problem. Welcome to the Purse Forum (tPF) and the world of bags!