Seller sold me a used bag as new, advice?

teeguu

eh?
Jan 17, 2013
I purchased a bag on Ebay that was described as NWT. I received the bag today and while it is in 'like new' condition, it does not have the original price tags attached to it and has clearly been used (the front pocket had a baseball game ticket inside of it).

I still really like the bag and want to keep it, but on principle I don't think it's right that a seller advertises a 'like new' bag as brand new. I also was pretty trusting of authenticity because I figured that it's hard to fake the original tags attached on the bag - which aren't even on there.

What are my remedies in this case?

Last edited:
Contact the seller and tell her your concerns. She might offer you a partial refund to keep the bag. If you definitely want to return, you can open a return request, not as described, but I wouldn't do that without giving the seller a chance to remedy the situation.

Some fake bags have tags attached too. That's no way to be sure it's authentic. I'd return it but if you like it have it authenticated on tPF and ask the seller for a discount since it was not NWT as described.

I wouldn't request a partial up front. It's too common a way for buyers to get a lower price so sellers often just offer "return for refund."

Wait to see if the seller offers a partial if that's what you prefer.

Reactions: caannie
I purchased a bag on Ebay that was described as NWT. I received the bag today and while it is in 'like new' condition, it does not have the original price tags attached to it and has clearly been used (the front pocket had a baseball game ticket inside of it).

I still really like the bag and want to keep it, but on principle I don't think it's right that a seller advertises a 'like new' bag as brand new. I also was pretty trusting of authenticity because I figured that it's hard to fake the original tags attached on the bag - which aren't even on there.

What are my remedies in this case?
Did the photos actually SHOW the tags attached? When I'm looking at a bag that describes it as NWT I look for the tag to be attached in the photos (if it's the type of handbag that absolutely has tags attached when purchased). If I don't see the tag attached, then I assume that it is, in fact, not NWT and contact the Seller for an explanation prior to purchase. Of course, many handbags, like LV, don't have tags attached to the handbag at purchase so when I sell one that I have not carried (it happens), I will use the description of NWT.
I use "Like New" if I have carried it even once.
If I liked the bag and am happy with its condition anyway, I would just keep it and enjoy it. Just my 2 cents dear.

Did the photos actually SHOW the tags attached? When I'm looking at a bag that describes it as NWT I look for the tag to be attached in the photos (if it's the type of handbag that absolutely has tags attached when purchased). If I don't see the tag attached, then I assume that it is, in fact, not NWT and contact the Seller for an explanation prior to purchase. Of course, many handbags, like LV, don't have tags attached to the handbag at purchase so when I sell one that I have not carried (it happens), I will use the description of NWT.
I use "Like New" if I have carried it even once.
If I liked the bag and am happy with its condition anyway, I would just keep it and enjoy it. Just my 2 cents dear.
When I list an item with tags on Tradesy, too often their photo cleaning service cleans off the tag!

Reach out to your seller & give her the opportunity to make this right.
If you love the bag & you feel an incentive would make a difference in keeping the bag or you just want to
return it, see what the seller comes back to you with & then you can go from there.
Was the brand tag on the bag?

Do you mean they black it out so you can't see the tag attached?
They white it out. It depends on if the tag sticks out from the item or is in front of it. If it is in front, they'll leave it alone but if it is on the edge, it disappears. They clean the backgrounds. If you have a dustbag showing, that will disappear. Sometimes the straps disappear!

They white it out. It depends on if the tag sticks out from the item or is in front of it. If it is in front, they'll leave it alone but if it is on the edge, it disappears. They clean the backgrounds. If you have a dustbag showing, that will disappear. Sometimes the straps disappear!
Well that's the craziest thing I've ever heard! Those things help sell the item IMHO. :confused1:

Reactions: whateve
Well that's the craziest thing I've ever heard! Those things help sell the item IMHO. :confused1:
It has something to do with the Google shopping results. I guess Google wants uniform looking pictures with white backgrounds. Tradesy only does it to your first picture so you need to make sure to show those things in your other pictures. They got rid of the shoe box when I wanted to indicate my used shoes came with the original box.

It was a Proenza Schouler PS1 bag, and the cards for the bag were in the pocket. There was no price tag attached and I assumed there would be.

The receipt that came with the bag was strange - it was very simple and had no logos but was in a Proenza Schouler envelope. I've never seen a receipt like it from any other luxury store - which usually prints the receipt on letterhead with some branding.

I paid $600 for the bag.