Do you wash your Hermes garments at home?

Princess D

O.G.
Jun 12, 2006
I have this cotton / silk top and am wondering should I really dry clean only as suggested on the tag? We all know that manufacturers put the dry clean only tag on garments that can actually be hand washed [emoji28][emoji15]
I have dresses from Isabel Marant and Calvin Klein etc that I wash at home with hand wash mode on my machine with good results but hey this is H and it's different [emoji23][emoji23].

Just wondering does anyone have experience on washing H tops at home? I've attached a photo of the tag for reference. IMG_1489073049.218017.jpg

I wash all silk/wool/cashmere/cotton clothing items in my washing machine but I am not suggesting you do the same! I put them in washing bags and put them on hand wash cycle and lay them flat to dry. Don't tumble dry them, ever. They come out fine. But only do this if you are comfortable with the risk.

I agree with having to be OK with risk.

I wash almost everything too, instead of dry cleaning - silk, wool crepe, cotton. Most of it shrinks a tiny bit with the first wash and is OK after. But I've also irretrievably damaged some items, and/or have to do some alterations to linings that don't shrink while the dress does.

Shrinkage and wrinkling are the biggest issues. With mixed fabrics, the risk is that they will shrink to different degrees.

I have not washed any H or C items - but Gucci and Prada poly and cotton have been ok, Missoni silk, poly and cotton knits are fine, Random wool has shrunk - a lovely Prada wool crepe shrank, and the attached lining is now hanging below the skirt - it has a scalloped edge, so... :sad:

I wash all silk/wool/cashmere/cotton clothing items in my washing machine but I am not suggesting you do the same! I put them in washing bags and put them on hand wash cycle and lay them flat to dry. Don't tumble dry them, ever. They come out fine. But only do this if you are comfortable with the risk.

I do the same. I sometimes tremble dry them with NO heat with the washing bag before lay them flat on a towel to dry, that's called "air puff" on my dryer.

Thanks
I do that for brands other than H and it's mostly trial and error. I always believe that the dry cleaning process is more harsh then my washing machine's hand wash cycle... I think it's the matter of what materials will shrink when soaked in water [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

Depends on the garment. I've had some items come back not as they were delivered size wise. I'm REALLY picky about my scarves. Cashmere is something I do at home because I don't like the chemical smell that can be picked up now and then.

Since this top is primarily cotton, I would do it at home in one of two ways:

1) Dry cleaning kit at home that you use in the dryer (has never ruined anything that I've cleaned)
2) Hand wash inside out and then block to almost dry. Hang dry for the remainder of the time.

Since hand-washing my silk scarves I've started hand washing all sorts of other things that are 'dry clean only' including Cavalli, Gucci, Burberry and Hermes. I spoke to my MIL about this as she used to own a chain of dry cleaners in Germany. Designers put those labels on to cover themselves (because you'll sue the professional cleaners not them) I wouldn't put them in my washing machine but that's because I feel like I'm more in control. Only do it if you you're comfortable with it.