HELP! Post lost return package to Neiman Marcus. Will file lost package claim w/ USPS.

Breadnbrie

Jun 11, 2016
So I purchased a small Chloe Marcie and a YSL wallet from NM that I eventually returned using the USPS Smart Label. I dropped off the package at a Postal Solutions Annex, unfortunately did not get package insured (I've gotten EVERY package insured so far and figured I'd be ok with this ... sadly wrong). Postal solutions then sorts their mail and packages, and routs their stuff to either USPS, fed ex, etc.

This was 6 weeks ago. Total including tax was almost $1500.

Anyway, I've been on the phone with NM several times, and long story short, after a ton of run around and unhelpful advice, they said that the return label was never scanned to initiate the shipment. They suggested I go to both PS and USPS to track down the package.

I followed their advice, and USPS confirmed by entering the number on the Smart Label, that the package indeed was never scanned as "arrived" at their facility.

I have no idea what to do and I'm freaking out. All 3 companies I've talked to seem to point their fingers at the other 2. Right now I'm going to file a missing package claim with both PS and USPS, and hopefully get a refund.

Has anyone had a package get lost by postal service, and gotten a refund? Should I insist that NM give me a refund? Would they even do that in this situation?

The way I see it, it wasn't really NM fault, except for the mediocre customer service. It was the fault of the postal service, but I don't know what my chances are of getting that refund.

This is just such a mess and I'm so sick of calling these places (I've made maybe 10 calls total) and Going to the post offices. I've needed to reschedule my patients so that I could go there during business hours. This is stressing me to the point where I'm considering just giving up and cutting my losses, if this isn't going to go anywhere.

Any advice? Anyone go through anything similar? Any help is much appreciated!

I am SO sorry this has happened to you. I hope one of the companies steps in and helps.

I had something similar happen to me with an area rug. I dropped it off at UPS but didn't get a receipt. Long story short I ended up being out the cost of the rug as it never showed as scanned and the local UPS office never "found" it.

I would keep elevating it with PS and I would file a theft report with the police and USPS. Perhaps when you take it to that level it will be found or you will get better help. I know this doesn't help you now but I always get a receipt when I drop off returns. That way I can prove I sent it. I haven't ever taken the step to add insurance but I'll have to think about that now.

I'm hoping it turns up.

Reactions: Breadnbrie
I haven't had to go through the same stressful hassle as you, and I'm very sorry this happened to you. But, thank you for posting because I will definitely get insurance and proof of shipment if I ever have to return expensive items. I hope you get a resolution soon and your package is found.

Last edited:
I'm sorry you had to go through this, I hope the bag is found and you will get your refund :flowers: Very stressful. I understand you don't want any more hassle from this situation, but perhaps it's a police matter? I'm assuming you are in the US so I don't know how that would work there.

(This is of course no consolation to you, but UPS/Europe is picking up a bag for a return today at my house, so this reminded me to make sure and ask for a receipt).

NEVER return anything via USPS using a prepaid label, and if you must, always get a receipt.

I had to learn this the hard way. Over 2500 worth of merch from barneys gone. They said it was scanned, but Fedex never got it when they did their pickup rounds. My only saving grace was that I had a receipt showing it was scanned, which is only available if I wait in a long line at post ofc.

I will never return ship again, esp since I'd rather make the trek to a local store to process the return. This is esp true for anything over a certain $ threshold that you can't afford to miss.

You may have to chalk this up as an expensive lesson...

I've never had a NM package come with a USPS return to my knowledge. .. usually they ship FedEx and that's who they use to return. I'm so sorry this happened to you. Wouldn't the package be insured when using NM's return label, regardless of the carrier?

I am SO sorry this has happened to you. I hope one of the companies steps in and helps.

I had something similar happen to me with an area rug. I dropped it off at UPS but didn't get a receipt. Long story short I ended up being out the cost of the rug as it never showed as scanned and the local UPS office never "found" it.

I would keep elevating it with PS and I would file a theft report with the police and USPS. Perhaps when you take it to that level it will be found or you will get better help. I know this doesn't help you now but I always get a receipt when I drop off returns. That way I can prove I sent it. I haven't ever taken the step to add insurance but I'll have to think about that now.

I'm hoping it turns up.
Thanks for the sympathy, unfortunately I don't think that filing a police report would go anywhere for these "small claims" amounts, and would likely just end up inconveniencing and stressing me out further if I'm needing to call/ visit during business hours. :sad: I guess I'll just file a missing package complaint with postal solutions and USPS and hope for the best.

NEVER return anything via USPS using a prepaid label, and if you must, always get a receipt.

I had to learn this the hard way. Over 2500 worth of merch from barneys gone. They said it was scanned, but Fedex never got it when they did their pickup rounds. My only saving grace was that I had a receipt showing it was scanned, which is only available if I wait in a long line at post ofc.

I will never return ship again, esp since I'd rather make the trek to a local store to process the return. This is esp true for anything over a certain $ threshold that you can't afford to miss.

You may have to chalk this up as an expensive lesson...

Yeah seriously expensive lesson. Did you ever try filing a missing package complaint with post office? Did you try getting a refund from Barneys at all? Or did you just let that go due to the unneeded hassle?

Thanks for the sympathy, unfortunately I don't think that filing a police report would go anywhere for these "small claims" amounts, and would likely just end up inconveniencing and stressing me out further if I'm needing to call/ visit during business hours. :sad: I guess I'll just file a missing package complaint with postal solutions and USPS and hope for the best.

Yeah seriously expensive lesson. Did you ever try filing a missing package complaint with post office? Did you try getting a refund from Barneys at all? Or did you just let that go due to the unneeded hassle?
Barneys ended up having to eat the cost, since I had a receipt. But if I didnt, I'd just suck it up. The amount of energy expended on pursuing this may only be worthwhile if I had a receipt, or something thats an ace in my defense. To rely on luck filing a lost package with them is akin to hoping for a miracle. But still, maybe theres hope. If it doesnt stress you out more by undertaking these measures, then do so. Best of luck tho, and I truly empathize.

Reactions: lulilu
Sorry this has happened. Unfortunately if they don't locate the package you are just out of luck. If you don't get insurance the Post Office will not reimburse for lost packages.

Barneys ended up having to eat the cost, since I had a receipt. But if I didnt, I'd just suck it up. The amount of energy expended on pursuing this may only be worthwhile if I had a receipt, or something thats an ace in my defense. To rely on luck filing a lost package with them is akin to hoping for a miracle. But still, maybe theres hope. If it doesnt stress you out more by undertaking these measures, then do so. Best of luck tho, and I truly empathize.

Sorry this has happened. Unfortunately if they don't locate the package you are just out of luck. If you don't get insurance the Post Office will not reimburse for lost packages.

Thanks for your input. I've decided I probably won't file a claim with post office because I didn't get the package insured. It would be pointless and eat into the time I don't have.

My new question now is:

I'm thinking now of calling NM and asking for store credit, if they can't give me a refund. This is basically a Hail Mary, because I don't think I'm entitled to a refund based on not getting the package insured, but it's just devastating to me to lose $1500 outright. I've purchased from NM before; a Fendi bag that I love.

Has anyone else tried for getting store credit in a situation like this? What do you think my chances are of success?

Any tips to improve my chances?

Thanks for your input. I've decided I probably won't file a claim with post office because I didn't get the package insured. It would be pointless and eat into the time I don't have.

My new question now is:

I'm thinking now of calling NM and asking for store credit, if they can't give me a refund. This is basically a Hail Mary, because I don't think I'm entitled to a refund based on not getting the package insured, but it's just devastating to me to lose $1500 outright. I've purchased from NM before; a Fendi bag that I love.

Has anyone else tried for getting store credit in a situation like this? What do you think my chances are of success?

I suppose it won't cost anything to try, but I think your chances are pretty slim tbh, I mean why would they refund you if they havent had the stock back? I'm sorry, it's a horrible loss, but as others have said thanks for posting about it - its a lesson to us all. I sent a bag once and skipped on insuring it and was on tenterhooks from the moment I posted the wretched thing till the moment it got there - that was enough for me, never again.
Your parcel may yet turn up, it does happen sometimes - wishing you some luck :flowers:

Reactions: Pinkpeony123

My new question now is:

Almost no chance. If you read the return policy it clearly states that if you don't use their SmartLabel to have the shipment insured. I'm curious as to why you didn't use their label. Their return policy is one of the best online (1 year free return for online purchases). I returned something I bought in December a few weeks ago. It was a huge comforter set using their label with free return shipping. I was fully refunded 6 days later.

Reactions: lulilu
Almost no chance. If you read the return policy it clearly states that if you don't use their SmartLabel to have the shipment insured. I'm curious as to why you didn't use their label. Their return policy is one of the best online (1 year free return for online purchases). I returned something I bought in December a few weeks ago. It was a huge comforter set using their label with free return shipping. I was fully refunded 6 days later.

But I did use their Smart Label. I just didn't get extra insurance through the post office. I normally purchase added insurance through the post for mailing back my returns. Costs me about $100. But I didn't this time. Lucky me.

But I did use their Smart Label. I just didn't get extra insurance through the post office. I normally purchase added insurance through the post for mailing back my returns. Costs me about $100. But I didn't this time. Lucky me.

UPS gave me a receipt. They didn't give you a receipt?

If you at least had a receipt that it had been shipped perhaps NM would at least give you a credit or something. So sorry this happened.