Lv losing luster in Korea - the three second bag

kate2828

Feb 19, 2017
I just saw this posted in the Korea times. The article talks about how Koreans think that lv is too common (they call lv the 3 sec bag bc you can see an lv on the street every 3 secs), after sales service is poor, prices increase too much and lv does not donate enough to charities etc. As a result lv sales have declined significantly while Chanel and Hermes have increased.

For me it actually does not bother me much whether or not lv donates to charities, but the price increases are annoying. I have not experienced bad after sales services, but do think that lv is very popular where I am so a lot of people carry the brand. However, I would not stop buying lv simply because it's too common. I think there are a variety of lv styles and it is really hard to beat the quality/durability of lv in comparison to other lux brands.

The neverfull is like the epitome of a beater bag. Truly indestructible! My neverfull has crossed oceans, gone to the beach, carried groceries, lugged around my dog etc etc. There is no other bag that I've found that can beat this bag in terms of everyday use. Also when I buy a bag my number one thought isn't who else is carrying it - its utility, function and how will it fit in my life. (Although if an annoying coworker or relative had the bag I probably wouldn't buy it - )

Would any of the issues mentioned in the article make you stop buying lv? Article linked below.

http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/phone/news/view.jsp?req_newsidx=225209

Reactions: LaFrenchLady
I think it's one of those types of articles that's poorly articulated and conceived through assertions and no data to back up claims. I suppose it's that guy/girl opinion from his/her candid research. I think it's alot more complicated why people buy into and fall out of love with a brand. It's not just because it's common. But also when you read the article it says certain outlets saw a decrease In turnover. But overall LV saw a increase in its overall sales in Korea, umm that to me tells me certain stores aren't pulling their weight up or they in the wrong location demographics etc, rather than LV is doing poorly as this would have reflected on overall sales. Alot more people are willing to purchase online now or preloved not necessary shop from a outlet/shop. It's a classic case here, where correlation doesn't equal causation.

The Korea Times is one of the oldest papers in Korea and has a partnership with WAPO. This is one of a series of other articles discussing luxury in Korea so I think there is substance in it - whether one agrees with what is discussed in the article is another issue.

I don't agree or disagree with it since most of the article is so exceptionally vague. Is LV less cool than it used to be? Who knows, since 'cool' is subjective. Do I think LV has become exceptionally common? Of course, I feel like I see one every three seconds as well. I was also surprised by this sentence, which seems either like something LV would never say (repairs are a very broad spectrum of costs) or a typo: According to the spokeswoman, Louis Vuitton’s leather bags can be repaired for almost the same cost as buying a new bag.

Reactions: cjj
Since the creation of LVMH, Louis Vuitton has chosen the path of wide distribution and it has paid off for thirty years. When you walk into a Louis Vuitton boutique and buy a Speedy, a NF, a Keepall, or a Zippy wallet, you are not buying anything rare or exclusive. These are mass produced items. It doesn't mean that they are less beautiful or less desirable. The luxury industry only gives the illusion of rarity... does anyone actually think that a Chanel flap is rare? A Hermès Birkin? A BV Montaigne? Seriously... don't be naive people!

Since the creation of LVMH, Louis Vuitton has chosen the path of wide distribution and it has paid off for thirty years. When you walk into a Louis Vuitton boutique and buy a Speedy, a NF, a Keepall, or a Zippy wallet, you are not buying anything rare or exclusive. These are mass produced items. It doesn't mean that they are less beautiful or less desirable. The luxury industry only gives the illusion of rarity... does anyone actually think that a Chanel flap is rare? A Hermès Birkin? A BV Montaigne? Seriously... don't be naive people!

You make a very good point. These are mass produced items so it shouldn't be a shock a lot of people would carry it. I can see though why some people don't want to carry something that everyone seems to have. So to each their own!

I buy what I like; I don't care if it's popular or not; if it's rare or not; what people think. I DO care if I'm jerked around by the sales staff or the company; I DO care if the product I purchase is poorly made especially if I'm spending thousands on that product. Do I think people want to be part of the "I have this and you don't" club? Absolutely! That's the point of luxury; you don't want the masses to be a part of it. "Luxury" brands use this mindset to their advantage in every way.

That all said, to a large percentage of the world, a LV product IS luxury as it represents their rent, their mortgage, a car payment, the cost of a prescription... being spent on a purse. I don't kid myself; I'm very fortunate that I can purchase almost whatever I want when I want it. I remember, though, living on Rice a Roni for many a meal in the early days of adulthood, lol. To those who have not struggled, to those who have more money then sense.... this article plays right along with their lifestyle, outlook and mindset. They truly want to be in a group above the rest. More power to them.

I don't agree or disagree with it since most of the article is so exceptionally vague. Is LV less cool than it used to be? Who knows, since 'cool' is subjective. Do I think LV has become exceptionally common? Of course, I feel like I see one every three seconds as well. I was also surprised by this sentence, which seems either like something LV would never say (repairs are a very broad spectrum of costs) or a typo: According to the spokeswoman, Louis Vuitton’s leather bags can be repaired for almost the same cost as buying a new bag.

I agree with you about the statement regarding repairs: Since when can you purchase a new LV for $250? Or $1000? Then again, if a very small repair is going to cost me what a new LV would run....something is REALLY wrong with LV's repair costing! Perhaps she meant the cost of a non-designer/luxury bag? I don't know but the quote doesn't make sense.

I could not care less if a company gives to charity - and I'm wondering if this is a cultural difference in Korea or the writer pulled that out of their rear end. As to the rest, I have found LV customer service to be lacking in comparison to other luxury brands, but that could just be in my area. LV has been common for a long time so anyone buying it, in say the last decade, knew that when they bought - I can't imagine this is something consumers just noticed in Korea. I often wonder why LV is singled out in these articles every six months or so. Personally, I always come back to LV - there is just no comparison in any of the other luxury brands in terms of product diversity, price diversity, and when it comes to the canvas durability (Epi too). I am SC obsessed (and these like say the Capucines are not three second bags) - I would not trade one of my SCs for any Chanel and even a Birkin would be a toss-up.

Reactions: foxylock and cjj
I could not care less if a company gives to charity - and I'm wondering if this is a cultural difference in Korea or the writer pulled that out of their rear end. As to the rest, I have found LV customer service to be lacking in comparison to other luxury brands, but that could just be in my area. LV has been common for a long time so anyone buying it, in say the last decade, knew that when they bought - I can't imagine this is something consumers just noticed in Korea. I often wonder why LV is singled out in these articles every six months or so. Personally, I always come back to LV - there is just no comparison in any of the other luxury brands in terms of product diversity, price diversity, and when it comes to the canvas durability (Epi too). I am SC obsessed (and these like say the Capucines are not three second bags) - I would not trade one of my SCs for any Chanel and even a Birkin would be a toss-up.
Honestly I think LV is singled out because it is so successful and remains at the top of luxury brands... some people just take pleasure in gunning for success.

Agree that something seems off about the repair costs but it is possible that repair costs are higher in Korea. Believe it or not there is this weird cultural thing that the more expensive something is the more desirable it is. Hence this is why companies like lv Chanel and Hermes charge much more for their items on Korea than in Japan. Re the issue of charity, yes this is another cultural thing. In Korea they will pay more then they ought to but also expect companies to spend more on charity. Interesting dichotomy!