Help with choosing a small dressy black bag

Which bag works better as a dressy black bag?

• Total voters

Giuliana

Dec 27, 2013
Hi TFPers, this my first time starting a thread. I would like to get your feedback on choosing a small dressy black bag. I currently don't have one and would like to add one to my collection to use for dinners, parties and dressy events. I am not thinking black tie, but potentially the occasional cocktail party. My life is pretty casual though, so I would like to use this bag for casual evening outings and during daytime also. I just want to have something in my collection that can serve a more dressy purpose too if needed.
I have narrowed down the choice to either a Constance Mini in black swift with GHW or a Kelly 25 retourne in black swift with GHW. I've asked my SA to let me know in case they receive a Kelly with these specs, but am wondering whether I should ask about the Constance instead. I have a couple of Kelly's in size 28, so adding a different bag style would be nice, but am not sure whether the Constance can go as dressy as a small Kelly. I also thought about a Kelly Pochette, but don't do well with bags that don't have a strap.
Any input is greatly appreciated. TIA!!

I think of the Constance as being at least as dressy as a retourné K, if not more so. Personally I'd take the Kelly as I am not a fan of the large H clasp.

I think both bags are stunning and classic! For occasional nights out and sometimes day to night you cant go wrong with either but think the k25 would have more capacity if thats at all an issue....i dont have a constance mini but have a cobstance elan and its shape is quite roomy length wise but its flat so i cant really fit a lot...the shape of the kelly probably has more room for the day to night transition...

I've tried the mini C and I think you saw I just got the exact K25 you've described and I would have to say the K is much more versatile.

I ended up crossing a clutch off my list because I got this bag, it's easier to hold without the strap and holds a great amount for a night out. I don't have a lot of black tie occasions in my life so this will be sufficient for any dressy occasion I have in the near future and it's a K with no logo which is much better for me in social situations.

Good luck, I just heard that another swift bag I have been waiting on for 18 months is on it's way so hopefully you'll find one soon!

I have a mini C in Bleu Izmir in Epsom PHW, to me this is not dressy and I use it for more casual occassions. A black swift one certainly would be dressier. I am hoping to add a K25 in black for the same reason you are asking about. Its nice to have a strap and not always have something hand held. My vote is for the K25. Good Luck!

Thank you everybody for your feedback!! This is extremely helpful!! Leaning more towards the K25 now.

I think of the Constance as being at least as dressy as a retourné K, if not more so. Personally I'd take the Kelly as I am not a fan of the large H clasp.
Yes, I am also not sure about the H since I typically avoid things with logos.

I think both bags are stunning and classic! For occasional nights out and sometimes day to night you cant go wrong with either but think the k25 would have more capacity if thats at all an issue....i dont have a constance mini but have a cobstance elan and its shape is quite roomy length wise but its flat so i cant really fit a lot...the shape of the kelly probably has more room for the day to night transition...
That's a good point about the capacity. I hadn't thought about this. Being able to fit in glasses or a shawl would be a plus, which seems impossible with a C18.

I've tried the mini C and I think you saw I just got the exact K25 you've described and I would have to say the K is much more versatile.

I ended up crossing a clutch off my list because I got this bag, it's easier to hold without the strap and holds a great amount for a night out. I don't have a lot of black tie occasions in my life so this will be sufficient for any dressy occasion I have in the near future and it's a K with no logo which is much better for me in social situations.

Good luck, I just heard that another swift bag I have been waiting on for 18 months is on it's way so hopefully you'll find one soon!
Thank you! Great to hear that the K25 has eliminated your need for a clutch. That's exactly what I'm hoping for. I was also thinking that the H logo may not be appropriate for some social occasions, so the another point in favor of the K25.

I have a mini C in Bleu Izmir in Epsom PHW, to me this is not dressy and I use it for more casual occassions. A black swift one certainly would be dressier. I am hoping to add a K25 in black for the same reason you are asking about. Its nice to have a strap and not always have something hand held. My vote is for the K25. Good Luck!
Thanks! I will probably stick to the K25 as planned. I've been waiting for almost a year, so wondering whether it will show up.

Difficult decision. A Kelly might be able to hold more things than the Constance Mini.
Yes, it seems like the K25 would be more versatile. I thought about getting both, but I really want to keep my collection small to make sure I get good wear out of each bag. This has worked pretty well with clothes, shoes and even jewelry, but I'm having more deciding on bags.

kelly -- more roomy and versatile. or the constance elan.
I am leaning towards the K25. Not sure if this is true, but I've heard that the Constance Elan may be discontinued.

IMO a sellier Kelly is more dressy than retourne, but more difficult to get in and out of at that size. Congrats on whichever bag you end up with!
Thanks! I also thought about a K sellier, but I prefer swift over epsom and I'm a bit scared of box or tadelakt being more delicate. Also, I think my store typically only gets sellier Kelly's in epsom.

Vote for k25. Mini Constance is only for your casual.
It sounds like the consensus is for the K25, so I will keep waiting for this one to show up. Thanks again for all your inputs!!

Reactions: rainnebeauxday
Glad you decided this! I am a big fan of a black Kelly 25 for night, as without the strap it can go pretty formal - not black tie/white tie, but anything else - and it holds a fair amount so is versatile.

Gotta chime in here. My BBC 18 is my most versatile bag. I wear it to work, with jeans, out to dinner, and to dressy events. It is easy to get in and out of. The size and the fact that it is PHW makes the H less aggressive. I carry an iPhone 7, card case, small Goyard zip pouch, reading glasses, a key, and gum. True perfection.

Glad you decided this! I am a big fan of a black Kelly 25 for night, as without the strap it can go pretty formal - not black tie/white tie, but anything else - and it holds a fair amount so is versatile.
Thanks! Now I just need to hope the bag shows up at my store soon...

Both bags are beautiful choices and equally dressy or casual depending on your attire. Whichever you choose you can't go wrong. [emoji173]️[emoji173]️
:smile: Maybe I will need both eventually. Am trying to keep my collection small, but there are so many tempting options out there. I guess in some ways it's a good thing that the bags are not readily available in the store.

Another vote for k25
Maybe you can consider k20 kp kc in noir too
Thanks for brining up the other options. KP and KC are beautiful, but I don't do well with clutches. K20 seems to hold very little and last I heard my store did not order mini Kelly's...maybe they did this time around. Will have to ask again.

Gotta chime in here. My BBC 18 is my most versatile bag. I wear it to work, with jeans, out to dinner, and to dressy events. It is easy to get in and out of. The size and the fact that it is PHW makes the H less aggressive. I carry an iPhone 7, card case, small Goyard zip pouch, reading glasses, a key, and gum. True perfection.
Thanks for adding this different perspective! I'm amazed at what you can fit into the C18. I also think the H is more subtle in PHW, but all my dressy jewelry and sandals are gold toned, which is why I'm thinking GHW.