A question on the Classic Flap quilted pattern (and one on ruthenium hardware)

ElegantRascal

May 22, 2015
Hello! I'm planning on buying my first (maybe first two...) Chanel bags from this coming Spring-Summer collection, and there are a couple of things I'm unsure about. Please can any of you help me?
Firstly, with the Classic Flap bags, I think in theory the quilting pattern is supposed to look totally uniform over the whole front of the bag. So looking at the bag from the front with the flap closed, the diagonal lines run smoothly and unbroken from the flap to the bit underneath it. I'm attaching a picture of a Classic Flap that is neatly patterned like this. But I keep seeing pictures, even the ones on the Chanel website, where the quilts/diamonds on the flap and the ones on the body of the bag don't match up. They're out of sync. Is this something I should just accept? Do they no longer bother to position the different parts of the bag so the pattern is neat? Or should I hold out for a bag that does have a perfectly aligned flap?
My other question is, is ruthenium hardware reliable? I know it's a coated metal and there was a thread a while back that said it can peel so I'm a bit worried. Do you think it's safe to get a bag with ruthenium hardware?
Thank you so much in advance for any help you can give me! :smile:

Attachments

• classic_flap_nbsp-zoom.jpg.fashionImg.low.jpg
    classic_flap_nbsp-zoom.jpg.fashionImg.low.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 282
I think the quilts on all of the classic flap bags should be lined up. If it doesn't look like it's lined up in the picture on the Chanel website, it might just be the angle the picture was taken from.

Also, I've only had one bag with ruthenium hardware (an old medium boy bag), but I've had it for about 7 months now and I haven't had any problems with it.

I hope that helps! And congratulations on getting your first Chanel!! [emoji4]

Reactions: ElegantRascal
I think the quilts on all of the classic flap bags should be lined up. If it doesn't look like it's lined up in the picture on the Chanel website, it might just be the angle the picture was taken from.

Also, I've only had one bag with ruthenium hardware (an old medium boy bag), but I've had it for about 7 months now and I haven't had any problems with it.

I hope that helps! And congratulations on getting your first Chanel!! [emoji4]
Thank you so much for your reply! I will definitely try and find one with the quilts all lined up then. And thank you for the reassurance on the ruthenium hardware.
I'm so excited to get my first Chanel! :biggrin:

As for the alignment it can be affected by angle of the pic, or the the way the bag was stuffed etc. I think when picking in person, just make sure it's in good alignment to your eye. If it looks way off in person, check another. As for Ruthenium, I love it. I have NEVER had an issue with it. I was absolutely shocked to see the ladies boy bag with the aged ruthenium peeling, Unfortunately sometimes stuff happens you can't always predict or prevent. This is not something with a known "widespread" defect. I have never seen this before or since. I wouldn't stress over it.

Reactions: ElegantRascal
As for the alignment it can be affected by angle of the pic, or the the way the bag was stuffed etc. I think when picking in person, just make sure it's in good alignment to your eye. If it looks way off in person, check another. As for Ruthenium, I love it. I have NEVER had an issue with it. I was absolutely shocked to see the ladies boy bag with the aged ruthenium peeling, Unfortunately sometimes stuff happens you can't always predict or prevent. This is not something with a known "widespread" defect. I have never seen this before or since. I wouldn't stress over it.
Oh right - I'm quite picky so I'll try my best to find one that's neat enough! And I'm really glad to hear that Ruthenium should be fine, I love the way it looks, I think it's my favourite hardware so it'd be a shame if it had to be avoided. Thank you very much for your reply!