Help me decide which so black bag to get...

herang

Dec 6, 2014
Hi,
I really need some help which bag to get from this so black madness!!! I have one Chanel boy with grained lambskin reserved, but could not take my mind off the mini rectangular in crumpled calfskin (still have to search for it). I CAN ONLY CHOOSE ONE!!!!!!

Have any of you fabulous ladies got both or have seen both of them? Which one do you prefer in term of leather quality?

The reason I am having second thought of getting the boy bag is I don't use my other red boy bag much. Maybe because of the wrong size for my 5'2 height (new medium) and loud color (red).

I got the mini square from the cruise collection recently, and I am enjoy the small size so much. That is why I am thinking of getting the rectangular this time.

Please help me decide:
1. Get the boy bag, wait for another mini rectangular release.
2. Get the mini rectangular and forget the boy bag.

Thank you so much for reading this lengthy post!

Reactions: Elea
I haven't seen the so black boy in person. But I just got the so black mini in the crumbled calfskin and it's gorgeous So I'm biased, I would get the mini ❤ The crumbled calfskin with black hardware looks stunning IMO. I know some on the forum mentioned that the calfskin looked a little flat in pictures compared to caviar but I definitely see sheen to the calfskin. I ordered it only by seeing a picture and when I opened the box I gasped at how lovely the combo is. It reminds me of the so black quilted reissue calfskin that I saw once at Saks NYC. Hope this helps

Reactions: herang and Emerson
I had the rectangular mini so black reserved for me and after seeing it today I passed. I am not in love with the leather and don't like the lack of contrast. I haven't seen the so black boy yet except the photos but I can clearly see that at least personally I would much prefer the leather and hardware combo of this season's boy compared to the classic (iridescence on the black hardware? pretty awesome).... I won't be getting either (have my eyes set on something else that I just love love love). However, if you're not sold on the rectangular so black this season, why not try the so black boy in small or old medium size (for your frame) and see if you may be in love? if not, there's always waiting for the right rectangular mini to show up in future. I always rather wait than settle personally. That's the reason I passed on the all black reissues from the last few seasons, and the current season so blacks. I have a strong feeling that soon the right so black for me that has my personal preference of hardware and leather combo will show up in a reissue or classic (which is what I prefer style wise for a so black but the perfect combo has not shown up for my personal preference yet). Good luck deciding! :flowers:

Out of the two, I prefer the so black boy, even though I love the so black mini as well. The leather on the boy is just gorgeous and goes perfectly with the shiny black hardware. I think that both leather types seem durable, but if I had to think of a concern, it would be that the CC clasp/plate on the boy is larger, so scratches would be more noticeable on the hardware if they occurred and more noticeable on the larger chain as well. I haven't had any negative experiences with shiny black hardware, however, and Chanel can always repair it if needed down the road. As someone else mentioned, I would maybe consider selling your new medium boy. I had a few boy bags in that size and I finally let them go this year and sold them. I felt that they looked too big on me and just never reached for them. It felt good to let them go and put the money towards something else that I would use more and love. Good luck, both options are gorgeous.

Reactions: herang
IMO so black looks better in classic design than boy. So I'd say go with the mini, plus rectangular minis are so hard so come by
Hi, thanks for your help! Well, I have decided to go with my first choice the boy bag. We will see how that bag look irl.

I haven't seen the so black boy in person. But I just got the so black mini in the crumbled calfskin and it's gorgeous So I'm biased, I would get the mini ❤ The crumbled calfskin with black hardware looks stunning IMO. I know some on the forum mentioned that the calfskin looked a little flat in pictures compared to caviar but I definitely see sheen to the calfskin. I ordered it only by seeing a picture and when I opened the box I gasped at how lovely the combo is. It reminds me of the so black quilted reissue calfskin that I saw once at Saks NYC. Hope this helps
My sincere advice is that you should sell/consign your new medium red boy (which you rarely use) and get both the so black boy and so black mini!! I've consigned my bags to recycle funds for new purchases and haven't regretted it

Hi dear, thank you for replying back! Oh yes, I am selling my red boy soon to help to fund this purchase.

I had the rectangular mini so black reserved for me and after seeing it today I passed. I am not in love with the leather and don't like the lack of contrast. I haven't seen the so black boy yet except the photos but I can clearly see that at least personally I would much prefer the leather and hardware combo of this season's boy compared to the classic (iridescence on the black hardware? pretty awesome).... I won't be getting either (have my eyes set on something else that I just love love love). However, if you're not sold on the rectangular so black this season, why not try the so black boy in small or old medium size (for your frame) and see if you may be in love? if not, there's always waiting for the right rectangular mini to show up in future. I always rather wait than settle personally. That's the reason I passed on the all black reissues from the last few seasons, and the current season so blacks. I have a strong feeling that soon the right so black for me that has my personal preference of hardware and leather combo will show up in a reissue or classic (which is what I prefer style wise for a so black but the perfect combo has not shown up for my personal preference yet). Good luck deciding! :flowers:

Hi dear, thank you for your honest opinion on the mini rectangular! You definitely helped me make up my mind with your wise words about waiting for the right bag to come. I will wait for the right mini rectangular bag. For now, I have decided to get the first choice aka the so black boy.

Reactions: Vanana

Oh congrats on your new bag dear! In the end, I decide to get the boy bag. I don't live near any Chanel boutique or big department store, so I am buying things unseen as well. Hopefully I will fall in love with this so black boy!

Out of the two, I prefer the so black boy, even though I love the so black mini as well. The leather on the boy is just gorgeous and goes perfectly with the shiny black hardware. I think that both leather types seem durable, but if I had to think of a concern, it would be that the CC clasp/plate on the boy is larger, so scratches would be more noticeable on the hardware if they occurred and more noticeable on the larger chain as well. I haven't had any negative experiences with shiny black hardware, however, and Chanel can always repair it if needed down the road. As someone else mentioned, I would maybe consider selling your new medium boy. I had a few boy bags in that size and I finally let them go this year and sold them. I felt that they looked too big on me and just never reached for them. It felt good to let them go and put the money towards something else that I would use more and love. Good luck, both options are gorgeous.

So glad to hear that you have good experience with the shiny black hardware, I am a little concern about that also. And yes, the new medium size feel awkward to wear as crossbody for my height. I have hold on to that bag for too long since it is my first Chanel bag.
Later when I receive the so black boy, I might have more courage to sell the red boy off.

i have both the mini rectangular so black new for the season and the boy so black. They are both beautiful. The leather on the boy is gorgeous. The mini rectangular leather is made of calfskin. If you were to only pick one, go for the boy. Good luck.

Yay! Glad you picked the boy. I got mines and love it. I have a video on YouTube if you look up so black boy. It's not in the greatest of lighting but I will upload another today in good lighting

i have both the mini rectangular so black new for the season and the boy so black. They are both beautiful. The leather on the boy is gorgeous. The mini rectangular leather is made of calfskin. If you were to only pick one, go for the boy. Good luck.

Oh congrats on your two beautiful bags! Such a lucky lady! Hope do you think of the black hardware on the CC plate of the boy bag? Does it show fingerprints?

Yay! Glad you picked the boy. I got mines and love it. I have a video on YouTube if you look up so black boy. It's not in the greatest of lighting but I will upload another today in good lighting

Oh I watch your videos! Thanks for posting them, I have been looking for a review or unboxing video from YouTube for several days. My bag is still not arrived to store yet, so I have to wait for it to come.

Would you be kind enough to share a photo of your so black mini? I've been hunting for ages!! TIA xx