eBay escalated bogus SNAD return into case WITHOUT my permission

forumpursefan

Feb 17, 2017
I sold a high value ($2k), oversized item that costed me $150 to ship. The buyer tried to take advantage of me by falsely claiming SNAD on something that was never mentioned in the listing for a big partial refund ($500). I made a phone call to eBay high claims department yesterday. They advised me to leave the return alone until the buyer decides to escalate it and hopefully the return request will time out given she hasn't responded to my messages for a couple of days. So they put the return "on hold" for 5 days at the conclusion of the phone call. This morning I got a surprise eBay email claiming I asked them to step in which I NEVER DID. They said I clicked on a button or sent an email asking them to escalate it to a case (LIE!). They reviewed the case and said the buyer's claim was valid. Now they wanted me to send the buyer a return shipping label (another $150 down the hole) for the return of the item. They said the escalated case now is irreversible and I'm required to send the return shipping label or else. I told them many times I never gave them permission to escalate into a case or requested them to step in but they won't listen. What should I do? Thanks!

Sorry but now you have no choice but to send the label. If you don't send it in the required time period the buyer will get a full refund and get to keep the item for free.
Just chalk this up as a valuable lesson learned. That's why I don't sell anything expensive on ebay.

Sorry but now you have no choice but to send the label. If you don't send it in the required time period the buyer will get a full refund and get to keep the item for free.
Just chalk this up as a valuable lesson learned. That's why I don't sell anything expensive on ebay.
Is it possible to appeal? I can't add anything new to the return on the site due to the "hold".

Do they read the email response to the return shipping label request email sent from "[email protected]" with SR# 1-XXXXXXXXX in the title? All the eBay responses in writing and over the phone so far were standardized in order to blow the seller off ASAP. They clearly didn't read what was going on. It was a case of a buyer who bought oranges but wanted apples and tried to get me to pay the difference. eBay wants me to take back the oranges and pay shipping both ways. This is not right.

Sadly once the buyer opens a case, the only choice you have is to take it back. In SNAD cases you also need to pay for return shipping.
You can report the buyer for abusing buyer protection, not following the terms of your return policy and making partial refund demands, but no-one really knows how many reports it takes for Ebay to take away a buyer's buyer protection.

I know there are sellers who were successful in having clearly false SNADs changed into regular returns (where the buyer pays return shipping) but this gives the seller a defect (which they managed to get removed) and you can only get a couple of those before Ebay stops you from selling. I do think this was a big-ish seller though.
Also if you clearly state you don't take returns, you might (might!) get Ebay CS to close the case in your favor although it may take several tries and there is always a chance that they close it in the buyer's favor by mistake.

But the one thing you must never do is leave it open and let the buyer escalate. The other thing you must never do is believe CS when they tell you this is what you should do.

The other thing you must never do is believe CS when they tell you this is what you should do.
The problem is all the calls to eBay are logged. When the next CS sees you've been calling on the same case multiple times, he will just read back what the previous CS wrote on his screen and say there's nothing more he can do. They just don't have any incentive to help you and will hand you a line just to get you off the phone and move on to the next case. That's my impression so far.

Is it possible to appeal? I can't add anything new to the return on the site due to the "hold".

Do they read the email response to the return shipping label request email sent from "[email protected]" with SR# 1-XXXXXXXXX in the title? All the eBay responses in writing and over the phone so far were standardized in order to blow the seller off ASAP. They clearly didn't read what was going on. It was a case of a buyer who bought oranges but wanted apples and tried to get me to pay the difference. eBay wants me to take back the oranges and pay shipping both ways. This is not right.

If it has been escalated the decision is final. There is no appeal.

Reactions: LLC
If it has been escalated the decision is final. There is no appeal.
Even though it's clear they didn't spend any time reviewing the case and wrote a bunch of standardized nonsense back?

I'm pretty sure that if you look at that email, it'll say that replies to that address aren't monitored.
It's monitored. It says don't change the subject line so the email gets routed properly. They even want me to attach the return shipping labels to the email as well.

What should I do? Thanks!
Now that the bag has been escalated you have to send the return label as instructed. What *I* would do is do so and then demand that eBay reimburse you the $150 for shipping because the CS rep did something completely opposite of what they told you they were going to do on the phone. I'd make noise about it on their twitter and fb accounts maybe and also tell them you are going to report them to the BBB and your state attorney general if applicable. And then do so. Don't take "no" for an answer. Keep calling and demanding to speak to a supervisor until you get satisfaction. Tell them that you were told one thing on the phone and then once you hung up the CS rep did the opposite. That is not OK.

Reactions: rkiz and BeenBurned
The buyer just filed a PP chargeback as well (-$2k balance). So she's taking me by the throat with both the eBay case and a PP chargeback SIMULTANEOUSLY. I haven't seen anything quite like this. What should I do?

Here is what Ebay says under the terms of their Money Back Guarantee (under not covered):

Using other programs to address a concern
Buyers can't use more than one resolution method to get a refund. After selecting a resolution process (eBay Money Back Guarantee, PayPal Purchase Protection, or requesting a chargeback from their payment provider) a buyer is required to use only that process to resolve the transaction issue.

If a buyer requests a chargeback from their payment provider or files a PayPal Purchase Protection dispute, any requests opened through the eBay Money Back Guarantee for the same transaction are immediately closed.

I think you should call Ebay immediately, ask for resolutions (have the Paypal chargeback ID number ready) and ask for the case to be closed immediately in your favor (quoting this policy if necessary).

Reactions: HandbagDiva354
Also, when you respond to the Paypal case (I believe you need to, I don't have much experience with those) chose the option (if you are given one) to accept the return. If there is no such option, call Paypal also and explain to them that you want your item back.

Also, when you respond to the Paypal case (I believe you need to, I don't have much experience with those) chose the option (if you are given one) to accept the return. If there is no such option, call Paypal also and explain to them that you want your item back.
I spoke with PP. They said it's related to the eBay case and not a PP chargeback. They are required by eBay to withhold the amount in dispute (negative balance). Is this normal?

I spoke with PP. They said it's related to the eBay case and not a PP chargeback. They are required by eBay to withhold the amount in dispute (negative balance). Is this normal?
yes, as soon as a case is opened, the amount is put on hold.

Please post this buyer's ID for others' blocking purposes!