Vintage Epi noe? Help please!

Defensin

Oct 7, 2016
Hello fellow bag lovers!

I am looking to get a preloved epi petite noe bag. The bags i am eying are all made in the early 90's ( i am especailly excited by a red one with black stitching!). I am wondering if someone who has such vintage bags in epi leather could tell me how well they hold up. Is it reasonable to expect that they still have lots of life left in them? Or will they start crumbling as soon as i start using them :sad:

Reactions: Namwan-
Hello fellow bag lovers!

I am looking to get a preloved epi petite noe bag. The bags i am eying are all made in the early 90's ( i am especailly excited by a red one with black stitching!). I am wondering if someone who has such vintage bags in epi leather could tell me how well they hold up. Is it reasonable to expect that they still have lots of life left in them? Or will they start crumbling as soon as i start using them :sad:
It will really depend on who owned the bag before you and how well they took care of it. I've seen some pieces from the timeline and epi, specifically Noes, and when taken care of I can tell you that they're not going to be going paws up any time too soon.

An old bag is an old bag. Some are in better condition than others, for sure. But leather is a natural material that disintegrate over time. When buying a 20+ year old bag, don't expect the same experience as something brand new from the boutique.

There are many great used-bags on the secondary market. Some in "like-new" condition. But for one great bag, there are dozens of bag-cadavers, and hundreds of bags already in the trash.

I have a black epi noe bag that still looks great. It was made in 1990. Epi is very forgiving and black is VERY VERY forgiving. I touch up the scuffs with some black leather polish (on the bottom corners, around the top edge, and the draw string). And once in a while wipe off the dirt with some baby wipes and give the whole thing some leather conditioner. It still looks great. I am not sure if the lighter colors would hold up as well. I do agree it depends on the previous owner. I also have a black sac biface from 1986 which is beautiful. I don't think the previous owner use it much at all. The quality of construction and leather is actually much better in vintage pieces especially the ones that have stood the test of time. Hope this helps!

Hey I've got a vintage epi noe made in 1995 and its in great condition. The major wear was:
  • piling in the lining
  • drawstring wear
  • the brass buttons had some green mould -easily came off with some tomato sauce ( a tip I got from TPF)
When I bought it, it had no scuffs at all on the bottom!

Since I got this bag, I used it everyday for work for 4 months and it help up incredibly well for the abuse it went through. So the only wear and tear were minor scuffing on the corners. Note I did not baby this bag. I put my bag on the ground, wore it in the rain, put my laptop and sneakers in it. It even got squashed in the train gates once! I was so worried about it but it was fine

Please excuse my feet! (I have more pics on my eBay listing but not allowed to upload on TPF so yeah..I may have deleted pics off my computer)

Also I hunted for this bag for around 2-3 months. If you look diligently you can find a good condition time, it just may take some patience.

IMG_0793.JPG

Hey I've got a vintage epi noe made in 1995 and its in great condition. The major wear was:
  • piling in the lining
  • drawstring wear
  • the brass buttons had some green mould -easily came off with some tomato sauce ( a tip I got from TPF)
When I bought it, it had no scuffs at all on the bottom!

Since I got this bag, I used it everyday for work for 4 months and it help up incredibly well for the abuse it went through. So the only wear and tear were minor scuffing on the corners. Note I did not baby this bag. I put my bag on the ground, wore it in the rain, put my laptop and sneakers in it. It even got squashed in the train gates once! I was so worried about it but it was fine

Please excuse my feet! (I have more pics on my eBay listing but not allowed to upload on TPF so yeah..I may have deleted pics off my computer)

Also I hunted for this bag for around 2-3 months. If you look diligently you can find a good condition time, it just may take some patience.

View attachment 3617891

It's gorgeous! :loveeyes: And so shiny! Did you treat it with something? I'm also looking for an epi Noe right now, but most have scuffing around the corners. If they don't, they're way out of my price range. May I ask how much did you get yours for? I've heard some people found theirs in near mint condition for under 300$. :whut:

I have to vintage epi petite noes. They are in excellent condition, look like new.i don't baby these bags. Super durable and the stiff leather really helps the bag maintain its shape. Just choose carefully. They still look soooo chic. You won't regret it.

It's gorgeous! :loveeyes: And so shiny! Did you treat it with something? I'm also looking for an epi Noe right now, but most have scuffing around the corners. If they don't, they're way out of my price range. May I ask how much did you get yours for? I've heard some people found theirs in near mint condition for under 300$. :whut:
Epi-leather has that wonderful shine that you really don't have to treat with anything. I clean mine with fragrance free baby wipes. I think you can condition it once in a while. As for the scuff on corners, I have seen various degrees. On the darker colors it really does not show up much.

Reactions: LoVe
Hey! No I didn't treat it with anything

I got mine for a steal around $470 AUD which is around $350 US. I got it from a Japanese reseller called Japan monoshare on eBay

It took me a few months of stalking before I found mine. No scuffs and came with dustbag too.

Hey! No I didn't treat it with anything

I got mine for a steal around $470 AUD which is around $350 US. I got it from a Japanese reseller called Japan monoshare on eBay

It took me a few months of stalking before I found mine. No scuffs and came with dustbag too.

Hi!

Yep, I just passed on a black epi Noe from the very same seller, because there were not enough pictures to authenticate it by. It sold for $320 US. Now I'm wondering if I should have taken the plunge as it seems to be a well known seller of authentic bags. Then again, they do have some negative feedback claiming that the bags had been fake. But I guess I won't have another chance with this seller because, apparently, sending messages and asking questions will get you blocked. :whut: I don't know if they blocked me because I didn't try to bid, but they sure didn't reply to me.

Hi!

Yep, I just passed on a black epi Noe from the very same seller, because there were not enough pictures to authenticate it by. It sold for $320 US. Now I'm wondering if I should have taken the plunge as it seems to be a well known seller of authentic bags. Then again, they do have some negative feedback claiming that the bags had been fake. But I guess I won't have another chance with this seller because, apparently, sending messages and asking questions will get you blocked. :whut: I don't know if they blocked me because I didn't try to bid, but they sure didn't reply to me.
Yeah it's a shame they don't reply and blocked you when you didn't do anything wrong. I guess they get so many emails and will be able to sell their bags anyway. So they rather save time to sell. Also having been a seller on eBay I know how one annoying buyer can ruin it for all. I'm not saying you-I mean other buyers can ruin it for you.

You should buy when you're comfortable. Maybe it wasn't meant to be. There are many reputable Japanese resellers! So don't worry. You'll find your bag.

I bought my bag before authenticating it. I was comfortable the bag was 95% confident of being authentic so I took the plunge.

Reactions: EyeEyeLuLu