Is the Sylvie and Dionysus a permanent style of Gucci? Or will it be gone in future years?

Heysexy

Dec 9, 2016
Hey guys.

Is the Sylvie and Dionysus a permanent style of Gucci or will it be gone in a few years time.

The Dionysus has been very popular for Gucci over the past couple of years (I believe it was introduced in 2015). However I've busted many Gucci stores over the past month and it seems as if th Dionysus has been pushed to a small corner to make way for the sylvie which is heavily pushed in Gucci.

The Sylvie (introduced in 2016 I think) seems to be the new IT bag.

But do you guys think the Sylvie or Dionysus will disappear a few years time from Gucci collection ?

Hey guys.

Is the Sylvie and Dionysus a permanent style of Gucci or will it be gone in a few years time.

The Dionysus has been very popular for Gucci over the past couple of years (I believe it was introduced in 2015). However I've busted many Gucci stores over the past month and it seems as if th Dionysus has been pushed to a small corner to make way for the sylvie which is heavily pushed in Gucci.

The Sylvie (introduced in 2016 I think) seems to be the new IT bag.

But do you guys think the Sylvie or Dionysus will disappear a few years time from Gucci collection ?

Everything at Gucci gets 'put back in the cupboard' after a while and then they introduce new lines. Both these bags are reissues of vintage bags from the 1970s and 1960s

3200816-9ff593a403c12271a0c3bf1b757e8c60.jpg 1168186.jpg ORG_DSCF9431_l.jpeg
Interesting to know! Thank you:smile:
Do you happen to have any pictures of the old vintage ones?

Couldn't find my pic of 1970 Dionysus-ansestor bag but here's the 1960s Sylvie-ancestor (obviously the hardware has been enlarged) and I found a bangle and a coat with the 1970 Dionysus hardware. The 'Sylvie' original looks very like a Rudolfo Gucci design and perhaps Paolo Gucci (Aldo Gucci's son) for the 'Dionysus' line.

pic credits Rewind and 1stDibs

View attachment 3608795 View attachment 3608796 View attachment 3608797

Couldn't find my pic of 1970 Dionysus-ansestor bag but here's the 1960s Sylvie-ancestor (obviously the hardware has been enlarged) and I found a bangle and a coat with the 1970 Dionysus hardware. The 'Sylvie' original looks very like a Rudolfo Gucci design and perhaps Paolo Gucci (Aldo Gucci's son) for the 'Dionysus' line.

Wow, thanks so much for taking the time to do that:smile:
It's so interesting to learn the history.
I'm glad they take into account the history when making new designs. I really don't think I have ever been so smitten by a line, except Balenciaga! Now I have to sell those to fund my Gucci obsession!!
Growing up Gucci was more of my mothers thing.

Reactions: papertiger
View attachment 3608795 View attachment 3608796 View attachment 3608797

Thanks PT. I love it when you give us a dose of history with pictures to illustrate. Thanks for schooling us[emoji4]

I'm waiting to get the Dionysus bag because its like sold out almost everywhere :sad: But since last year, I still see the bag everywhere, and its still quite "hot", so I hope that it remains a somewhat classic/timeless piece. Regardless, I cant wait to get mine! :biggrin::biggrin:

Hey guys I don't love close to Gucci store or big department store that actually carries Gucci so I buy them all based on pictures. I'm interested in bamboo top handle Dionysus bag but have been told it is incredibly heavy. Anyone here owns one and can tell me if that's in fact correct? I love that I can wear it crossbody since the strap is 20 as oppose to nymphaea bag that I also love. I have a dilemma as I got one and really love it except super smooth leather and the web strap sort of sliding off my shoulder. Appreciate your input!