Weird tracking info on eBay purchase

GirlieShoppe

Formerly HermesNewbie
O.G.
Jun 2, 2008
Hi everyone,

I purchased an inexpensive item on Feb. 8. The seller's location is listed as Hong Kong, but the listing stated that the item would be shipped from their warehouse in California with an estimated arrival date of today, Feb. 14 (I live in the US on the East Coast). Last night I checked the tracking and saw that it was indeed shipped from CA, but was currently in San Juan, Puerto Rico. I assumed that it was shipped to the wrong address and immediately contacted the seller. He/she got back to me this morning and asked me to wait a few days to see what happens. I don't mind waiting, but I'm curious what's going on? He/she didn't seem alarmed or concerned at all. By basically asking me to sit tight for a few days, I got the feeling that the fact that my order was in PR was no surprise at all. Just now when I checked tracking it said the package had left PR and is "in transit to destination." I'm wondering if it was misdirected by the PO, accidentally addressed incorrectly, or if the seller purposely sent it to PR for some reason (although I can't imagine why they'd do that).

I guess I'll play the waiting game for now... it will be interesting to see if and when the package ever shows up.

I shipped a package from California to Minnesota and it went through Puerto Rico too. It's a mistake of USPS and not the seller's fault. In my case, the package took quite awhile to leave Puerto Rico and make it back to the mainland, a week or so.

Reactions: GirlieShoppe
I shipped a package from California to Minnesota and it went through Puerto Rico too. It's a mistake of USPS and not the seller's fault. In my case, the package took quite awhile to leave Puerto Rico and make it back to the mainland, a week or so.

I guess the PO works in mysterious ways, lol! I recently sent something to a local address and it went to Memphis before finally coming back to my metro area almost a week later. I definitely don't blame the seller. Even if it had been shipped to the wrong address I wouldn't be upset, as mistakes sometimes happen. I'm sure it will show up at some point. The seller is communicating with me, which is reassuring.

I live in CA and have shipped a ton of stuff and have never noticed that any of it has gone through Puerto Rico. That's super weird. I think if it originated in CA and it continues to move that's all that matters. At least it's not a high value item and then thst would be cause for a bit more concern.

Reactions: GirlieShoppe
I live in California and I've had something sent from CA to Nevada and then back.

Sometimes the carrier does odd stuff, hopefully it shows up soon.
I shipped a package from California to an address about 200 miles away in California. The package went through 6 states before making it back to California!

Reactions: Kidclarke
I live in CA and have shipped a ton of stuff and have never noticed that any of it has gone through Puerto Rico. That's super weird. I think if it originated in CA and it continues to move that's all that matters. At least it's not a high value item and then thst would be cause for a bit more concern.

I thought it was kind of weird too. The package finally made to my metro area and has been sitting for a few days. Thankfully it isn't anything I needed right away. :-/