Speedy-Epi or Empreinte?

Jul 28, 2016
I'm in the market for an all-purpose, everyday black bag and love my Speedy B 25 DE. Would you folks recommend the noir Speedy in empreinte or epi leather? Any pros/cons I should keep in mind? Thanks so much!

I have a similar dilemma! I also love my Speedy B 25 in DE and wanted to double up with a black leather version. I gave it a bit of thought and right now I'm leaning a bit more towards epi. Here is my argumentation between the both bags:
  • EPI: To me it seems a bit more versatile, because it's more understated (it's a very simple, minimalist design) and more elegant. You could just as easily carry it with jeans casually or with a suit to a business meeting. I like the fact it's structured and I know epi is very durable. This bag will likely hold it's shape best. Depending on your needs that fact can just as easily be a con - since it's more structured it might stick out more from your body and be less pliable compared to DE.
  • EMPREINTE: It definitely has a more casual feel to it and eventually should soften up and be more slouchy. It should be a very comfortable bag to carry on the shoulder and crossbody. Personally, I like the older design a bit more, but the new one has some nice detailing. Compared to epi, it's a bit more loud, so depending on your lifestyle it might be important (for instance - I couldn't really carry it to work).
To sum up, I think it depends on your style and whether you prefer your bags to be more structured or more slouchy. Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide!

Reactions: Annawakes
Empreinte! A very durable and soft leather! Some days ago I watched the new epi Speedy and it's not my cup of tea. The leather seems different from the epi of my Cluny BB, and the hardware seems cheaper than the one on the Empreinte Speedy.
Just my opinion. :smile:

I own the old model empreinte speedys and the new epi bag. I don't like the new model empreinte bag just because the strap is very long and only in two pieces, the smooth leather wears differently than the embossed as it shows a lot of veining and the sides have been known to bubble, and the gold lettering on the front chips off (my friend has this bag). The empreinte leather is soft though and will be much more comfortable crossbody than the rigid epi speedy. I will only be using my epi speedy handheld so that it doesn't dent in up top from being against my body. Epi can crease and dent. The epi is very subtle which I love. But don't get it if you don't want a structured bag. They're two very different bags. Epi gets my vote over the new model speedy though. The old model speedy is my favorite bag ever though. Empreinte is very pretty.

I own the old model empreinte speedys and the new epi bag. I don't like the new model empreinte bag just because the strap is very long and only in two pieces, the smooth leather wears differently than the embossed as it shows a lot of veining and the sides have been known to bubble, and the gold lettering on the front chips off (my friend has this bag). The empreinte leather is soft though and will be much more comfortable crossbody than the rigid epi speedy. I will only be using my epi speedy handheld so that it doesn't dent in up top from being against my body. Epi can crease and dent. The epi is very subtle which I love. But don't get it if you don't want a structured bag. They're two very different bags. Epi gets my vote over the new model speedy though. The old model speedy is my favorite bag ever though. Empreinte is very pretty.
That's true that Épi leather does crease and works best on very structured bags. I mean, I don't mind the creasing on my Épi leather pieces (because it's leather, duh!) but I know that some people may dislike this aspect. Definitely something to consider.

Reactions: FancyPants77
I have a similar dilemma! I also love my Speedy B 25 in DE and wanted to double up with a black leather version. I gave it a bit of thought and right now I'm leaning a bit more towards epi. Here is my argumentation between the both bags:
  • EPI: To me it seems a bit more versatile, because it's more understated (it's a very simple, minimalist design) and more elegant. You could just as easily carry it with jeans casually or with a suit to a business meeting. I like the fact it's structured and I know epi is very durable. This bag will likely hold it's shape best. Depending on your needs that fact can just as easily be a con - since it's more structured it might stick out more from your body and be less pliable compared to DE.
  • EMPREINTE: It definitely has a more casual feel to it and eventually should soften up and be more slouchy. It should be a very comfortable bag to carry on the shoulder and crossbody. Personally, I like the older design a bit more, but the new one has some nice detailing. Compared to epi, it's a bit more loud, so depending on your lifestyle it might be important (for instance - I couldn't really carry it to work).
To sum up, I think it depends on your style and whether you prefer your bags to be more structured or more slouchy. Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide!

I think this is a good summary. I'll add that I have a new model Empreinte Speedy and love it. For me, it has the right balance of structure and softness. Not being a logo person, I was conscious of the Empreinte leather at first, but not anymore. Now I find it pretty subtle (although the Epi is undoubtedly more understated). I wasn't a fan of how structured the Epi Speedy is, but I wear my Empreinte version cross-body all the time, so it depends on how you plan to wear it. I wasn't a fan of the denim Epi and don't need two black Speedies, but if they come out with Epi in different colors, I'll probably revisit it. It's a very sleek bag.

Reactions: Cicci783