I shouldn't worry about this, right?!

My 3 Zees

Jan 20, 2016
IMG_1303.JPG Hi All - I have been debating on whether to get a beige caviar jumbo or a white caviar jumbo. I finally decided on beige, found a like new one on a reputable resale site, and it arrived today. I LOVE it! In looking it over, the only thing I noticed was a small part of the leather in the strap where it is peeling and cracking a bit. Near the stitch is a little spot where the leather has peeled off, and then right below that, there is a little cracking in the leather. That is literally the only "flaw" I noticed on the bag. Do you think I need to worry about this? Or does this eventually happen anyways? Thank you for your thoughts and advice!

Reactions: 2manychins
View attachment 3600953 Hi All - I have been debating on whether to get a beige caviar jumbo or a white caviar jumbo. I finally decided on beige, found a like new one on a reputable resale site, and it arrived today. I LOVE it! In looking it over, the only thing I noticed was a small part of the leather in the strap where it is peeling and cracking a bit. Near the stitch is a little spot where the leather has peeled off, and then right below that, there is a little cracking in the leather. That is literally the only "flaw" I noticed on the bag. Do you think I need to worry about this? Or does this eventually happen anyways? Thank you for your thoughts and advice!

I suppose it can be fixed but for a "like new" bag, it shouldn't be cracked and peeling like that. Did u pay near current retail price or was there a steep discount? The only way that I can be okay with this is if the price point reflects the condition of the straps...

Reactions: jchen815
I suppose it can be fixed but for a "like new" bag, it shouldn't be cracked and peeling like that. Did u pay near current retail price or was there a steep discount? The only way that I can be okay with this is if the price point reflects the condition of the straps...
Thank you for such a fast reply! With sales tax where I live, I would have paid $6K for a brand new one. I paid $4800 total for this one.

I'm sorry you have this to deal with.

Hmmm...I've bought 8 preloved Chanels and have only paid that much for one of them - a preowned but never used jumbo (all the protective plastic was still on the hardware, etc. Each of the others were also perfect in terms of the hardware and leather. No peeling, nipped leather, cracking, etc. For the price you paid I would expect that there would not be these types of flaws.

Given that beige jumbos aren't rare, I'd either return and get a different one or contact the seller, make them aware of the issue and ask for a discount.

If you decide to keep the bag, send it to Leather Pros or Leather Surgeons and they can easily fix it for you.

I'm sorry you have this to deal with.

Hmmm...I've bought 8 preloved Chanels and have only paid that much for one of them - a preowned but never used jumbo (all the protective plastic was still on the hardware, etc. Each of the others were also perfect in terms of the hardware and leather. No peeling, nipped leather, cracking, etc. For the price you paid I would expect that there would not be these types of flaws.

Given that beige jumbos aren't rare, I'd either return and get a different one or contact the seller, make them aware of the issue and ask for a discount.

If you decide to keep the bag, send it to Leather Pros or Leather Surgeons and they can easily fix it for you.
Thank you very much! Hearing about the condition and price points of your previous pre-owned purchases is very helpful! And I am glad to hear that it can be fixed if I decide to keep it.

I would make the seller aware and send photos if this defect was not disclosed in their photos. Perhaps they will offer you a bit of a discount. I had something similar happen when a bag was the wrong size - completely different from the description online. I decided to keep the bag, but they offered me a small credit.

View attachment 3600953 Hi All - I have been debating on whether to get a beige caviar jumbo or a white caviar jumbo. I finally decided on beige, found a like new one on a reputable resale site, and it arrived today. I LOVE it! In looking it over, the only thing I noticed was a small part of the leather in the strap where it is peeling and cracking a bit. Near the stitch is a little spot where the leather has peeled off, and then right below that, there is a little cracking in the leather. That is literally the only "flaw" I noticed on the bag. Do you think I need to worry about this? Or does this eventually happen anyways? Thank you for your thoughts and advice!

Is this patent? It looks rather shiny...

It's caviar, but the picture does make it look super shiny! The caviar is really nice on this particular purse though....which is one of the reasons why I am thinking about keeping it despite the flaw

The reason why I was asking is because if it was patent peeling away like that I would definitely return it. That small minuscule spot wouldn't bother me on caviar. If we want mint/brand spanking new I would get from the store. [emoji3]

Did the seller advertise the bag as brand new or as pre-owned? If the seller stated this was pre-owned I would just overlook it. Pre-owned is just that, sometimes there are flaws. This is also on the chain, not a particularly easy to spot place unless you were looking for it.

If the seller states this is brand new condition, then I would ask for a discount or refund (depends on how much you love the bag). HTH

Did the seller advertise the bag as brand new or as pre-owned? If the seller stated this was pre-owned I would just overlook it. Pre-owned is just that, sometimes there are flaws. This is also on the chain, not a particularly easy to spot place unless you were looking for it.

If the seller states this is brand new condition, then I would ask for a discount or refund (depends on how much you love the bag). HTH
Thank you! I really do love the bag, and other than this, the bag looks fantastic! I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep it :smile: