Bayswater or Small Bayswater Satchel?

Lovely.Purse

Dec 11, 2016
So I'm looking to purchase my first Mulberry bag, but I'm torn between the SBS and the regular Bayswater--in NVT oak or black. I have a French Purse in NVT and the leather is divine, hence my desire to add a bag to my collection now.

While I love the portability of the cross body strap on the SBS, I'm smitten with the classic styling (and larger compartment) of the Bay. Can anyone who has one of the two, or both, comment on the bag(s)?

I'll be using the bag primarily to lug things back and forth between work and home--in which case the larger Bayswater would be ideal. However, the small SBS would be lovely for weekends and errands running.

To make matters even more complicated, part of me says hold off on Mulberry and just buy a Dooney and Bourke Florentine Satchel....

Help!

IMG_1486336867.774816.jpgIMG_1486336878.272336.jpgIMG_1486336892.152168.jpg

I have both an Oak Bayswater and an Oak SBS and I must say I get so much more use out of the Bayswater. I like the versatility that comes with having a strap on the SBS but it just doesn't quite hold enough for me...even on weekends.

When I do use it, as much as I love the SBS, it's literally full and difficult to then get to the bottom without taking out the rest of the contents whereas with a bag organiser in my Bays I can literally see the entire contents when I open it.

I am going to be of no help-I use the Bays for work, but find it too large (and heavy) for running errands on weekends, and I use the SBS (or Alexa) exclusively on weekends, because it is too small for work! I can also tell you that the small Florentine did not satisfy my "need" to have the SBS, so like I said, I am of no help!

I am going to be of no help-I use the Bays for work, but find it too large (and heavy) for running errands on weekends, and I use the SBS (or Alexa) exclusively on weekends, because it is too small for work! I can also tell you that the small Florentine did not satisfy my "need" to have the SBS, so like I said, I am of no help!

I think what you're telling me is: "buy both!"--or at least that's what my Mulberry obsessed brain is hearing.

It's good to hear that the Florentine satchel didn't satisfy though. Would you mind elaborating on why not?

I sold my sbs because I couldn't fit everything I'd normally carry. It also bothered me that the handles would flop down. I was also scared about scuffing the corners. The bayswater wouldn't stay on my shoulders so I wouldn't go for that either even though I like the look of it and it's a decent size . I went for the medium cara in the end.

I think what you're telling me is: "buy both!"--or at least that's what my Mulberry obsessed brain is hearing.

It's good to hear that the Florentine satchel didn't satisfy though. Would you mind elaborating on why not?

Ummm...I think you are right, both are necessary [emoji3]

Are you considering the old or new styled ones?

I should add that when originally considering the Bays, I purchased a preowned (olive, happily authentic) one for $100 and tried using it for work. After reaching for it consistently for a year, I purchased a new one in the sales and gifted the preowned one to my niece.

The Florentine leather was a bit stiffer (and had a slightly funny smell) and the opening was much narrower, so I did not find it very convenient to use. I will admit, though, I got mine at a QVC Black Friday sale for $99 so it was worth a try.

I have both bags and use both bags very often, the SBS the last months a bit more often because it's nice to have your hands free and put them in your jacket pockets while carrying it crossbody, and it's easier to protect them against rain. But If I had to decide for just one of them, I would choose the regular size, because the regular bays is such a timeless classic and practical, elegant and very versatile. The SBS is often too small, even if I have widened the side straps, but it looks more boxy then.

I don't have any experience any of the bags other than the Bays, but I personally think the Bays is too heavy to lug around places. I use it when I know I won't be carrying a lot of "heavy" things. I like that the SBS has a strap, and I think it would be more practical with a reminiscent look to the classic Bays. I have to say though that the D&B is gorgeous, though I'm not so much a fan of the color.

I've just replaced a full size Bays with an SBS and I have to say while I love being able to carry my bag cross body its just a bit to small.
I'm in 2 minds about keeping the sys and just get a full size.

Well it looks like the regular Bayswater is sold out online (in the US)... I called the only outlet store we have here in the states and there's a 20% off sale right now and they have one SBS in Oak left, so it's decided! I nabbed it for just £640!

I'm thinking that if I find the SBS too small for work that I can always buy the regular Bayswater later on.

Reveal to come in a few days!

Also, I was told by a few SAs and a manager that Mulberry is phasing out the NVT Bays (both SBS and regular) :sad: Has anyone else heard anything similar?

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing your reveal, Lovely.Purse; I hope you love her!
I have a number of Bayswaters and SBS bags and they're definitely very different animals. The SBS holds more than you would imagine but not everyone gets on with the two handles sticking up when using the shoulder/cross body strap. On the other hand, the full size Bayswater is pretty heavy, even when empty, so it isn't the first (or even third!) bag I reach for if I need to carry it all day. That said, I consider the oak Bays to be *the* iconic Mulberry and I'll never part with her! [emoji6]

Well it looks like the regular Bayswater is sold out online (in the US)... I called the only outlet store we have here in the states and there's a 20% off sale right now and they have one SBS in Oak left, so it's decided! I nabbed it for just £640!

I'm thinking that if I find the SBS too small for work that I can always buy the regular Bayswater later on.

Reveal to come in a few days!

Also, I was told by a few SAs and a manager that Mulberry is phasing out the NVT Bays (both SBS and regular) :sad: Has anyone else heard anything similar?
Oh no, Mulberry cannot do that :annoyed::wtf:! But I am afraid that this would happen because some classics in the NVT oak leather like the French purse are not listed any longer, and the newer bags always have very different leather. Congrats for your SBS in oak, you will love her!:yahoo:

since someone else already started this thread... could anyone comment on the weight of the SBS? i keep hearing how the regular one is so heavy, but is that also true of the small? thanks for your help.

since someone else already started this thread... could anyone comment on the weight of the SBS? i keep hearing how the regular one is so heavy, but is that also true of the small? thanks for your help.
No I didn't find it a heavy bag, and it can fit more than you might think. I did find the handles got in the way when carrying cross body and so I didn't keep mine, lots of people don't find this a problem though :smile:

I love my SBS, it is such a great bag! It can be carried many ways and the handles are not an issue to me (when I though it might be). Thus, I am very sensitive to the weight of my bags and this one never seems too heavy.. I think it's because of the strap width which is perfect for this bag!
Please send us a pic when you get yours :smile:

Reactions: Lovely.Purse