Thoughts on Letterwood

Notorious Pink

Hermès PurseBlogger!
O.G.
Jun 8, 2007
Hi, I would like some opinions, please!

So right now I have lg gold frivoles and 10 motif carnelian. On my list is there carnelian effeuillage, 5 motif carnelian and 10 motif pink gold....or so I thought. I wandered into VCA and the SA suggested that I try the Letterwood. It's so pretty! What I like is how the wood darkens over time - one of the SAs was wearing hers and at first I thought it was onyx. Onyx is not on my list because it is just too dark and harsh on me, whereas the Letterwood is a bit softer. Plus: pink gold (I do prefer it and have other of pieces). The matching earrings are a bit small for me, but the SA suggested a special order if I wanted magic size.

So - opinions? Thoughts? Suggestions? Would love to hear more about your experiences with this.

in my honest opinion and please don't take offense to this, I just CAN'T fathom paying VCA prices for WOOD!! I'm already having a hard time justifying it on other stone pieces.....but what's important is that you love it and find the value in it, that's all it should matter.

Reactions: HADASSA
Hi, I would like some opinions, please!

So right now I have lg gold frivoles and 10 motif carnelian. On my list is there carnelian effeuillage, 5 motif carnelian and 10 motif pink gold....or so I thought. I wandered into VCA and the SA suggested that I try the Letterwood. It's so pretty! What I like is how the wood darkens over time - one of the SAs was wearing hers and at first I thought it was onyx. Onyx is not on my list because it is just too dark and harsh on me, whereas the Letterwood is a bit softer. Plus: pink gold (I do prefer it and have other of pieces). The matching earrings are a bit small for me, but the SA suggested a special order if I wanted magic size.

So - opinions? Thoughts? Suggestions? Would love to hear more about your experiences with this.
The letterwood will compliment your coloring beautifully. I have the limited edition pieces (alternating pg with the vintage letterwood).
My DH gave me unmitigated grief for purchasing the wood. I am not sure that I would be willing to buy the new letterwood myself but if you love it, why not? It seems to have a bit of a more casual vibe IMO.

Reactions: BBC
in my honest opinion and please don't take offense to this, I just CAN'T fathom paying VCA prices for WOOD!! I'm already having a hard time justifying it on other stone pieces.....but what's important is that you love it and find the value in it, that's all it should matter.

The letterwood will compliment your coloring beautifully. I have the limited edition pieces (alternating pg with the vintage letterwood).
My DH gave me unmitigated grief for purchasing the wood. I am not sure that I would be willing to buy the new letterwood myself but if you love it, why not? It seems to have a bit of a more casual vibe IMO.

Thanks so much. I appreciate your input, esp TGG, who is the true Oracle of VCA (seriously! [emoji8]). I'm not exactly feeling the love here from you two. Yes, it's wood, ugh...I wish VCA had more PG options. I did like how dark the wood gets. Of course, with my upcoming 2017 Hermès "commitments", I have time to think it over, I just feel limited as there is a lot of stones or combinations I know won't work on me, and others are fine but don't really pop. Essentially I'm limited to carnelian, PG, TE, and the wood - the medium tones. The MOP is pretty but not amazing on me. Wish they did gray MOP/PG or even chalcedony/PG!

Reactions: Mali_
I am a fan of the letterwood even though it is wood! I, like texasgirliegirl, have the limited edition 20 motif with alternating pink gold motifs, but I also have the long Magic necklace that I am wearing as I type this!

I know there are people who don't love letterwood, but I do! It would be a very boring world if we all loved the same things.;)

Good luck with your decision!

Thanks so much. I appreciate your input, esp TGG, who is the true Oracle of VCA (seriously! [emoji8]). I'm not exactly feeling the love here from you two. Yes, it's wood, ugh...I wish VCA had more PG options. I did like how dark the wood gets. Of course, with my upcoming 2017 Hermès "commitments", I have time to think it over, I just feel limited as there is a lot of stones or combinations I know won't work on me, and others are fine but don't really pop. Essentially I'm limited to carnelian, PG, TE, and the wood - the medium tones. The MOP is pretty but not amazing on me. Wish they did gray MOP/PG or even chalcedony/PG!
I'm sorry if I sounded discouraging. I actually have letterwood and I was just trying to express my understanding over why other people may not feel the love as much as they do for some of the other stones. For a redhead I think that letterwood is a great choice. It reads more burgundy vs the Tigers eye which reads more gold. I would agree that it is a softer look than the onyx. I like to wear mine casually: jeans, tall brown boots, white shirt and my chocolate box Kelly ...with the long letterwood and pg perlee hoops. This is a fun, casual look.
Also: letterwood (aka snakewood aka Boise de amour) is a rare exotic hardwood. It has history and VCA even carved the rose de Noel brooch (among others) from this wood.
It is very special!!

Hi everyone! I've been so busy at work that I haven't had time to peruse the forum much. However, I did want to respond here. While I thought it was absurd to buy wood, my DH found it unique and wanted to give it to me as a gift. (I've spent so much money lately that I told him not too). Anyway, I tend to agree with him. Even though it's wood, it is unique and you don't see it replicated like onyx. I watch Maria Bartiromo in the mornings. I've seen her wear the 20 motifs in malachite, onyx and carnelian. She also has the 6 motif magic. Well on Thursday she was wearing a magic pendant. I was ambivalent if it was onyx or letterwood. I'm sticking with it being letterwood. She was wearing a velvet brown blazer and neutral tank. It looked spectacular!! It's moved up on my list (again). BCC, I think it would look beautiful with your hair. Would you layer it with your carnelian?

I am a fan of the letterwood even though it is wood! I, like texasgirliegirl, have the limited edition 20 motif with alternating pink gold motifs, but I also have the long Magic necklace that I am wearing as I type this!

I know there are people who don't love letterwood, but I do! It would be a very boring world if we all loved the same things.;)

Thank you for your input!!! I remember having the opportunity to buy the alternating 10-motif when it was available in store but I was still new to the brand. It's very pretty!

I love mine - i love that you can wear it casually and i think its pretty versatile.

Thank you pazt!!! [emoji254]

I'm sorry if I sounded discouraging. I actually have letterwood and I was just trying to express my understanding over why other people may not feel the love as much as they do for some of the other stones. For a redhead I think that letterwood is a great choice. It reads more burgundy vs the Tigers eye which reads more gold. I would agree that it is a softer look than the onyx. I like to wear mine casually: jeans, tall brown boots, white shirt and my chocolate box Kelly ...with the long letterwood and pg perlee hoops. This is a fun, casual look.
Also: letterwood (aka snakewood aka Boise de amour) is a rare exotic hardwood. It has history and VCA even carved the rose de Noel brooch (among others) from this wood.
It is very special!!

TGG thank you so much. You didn't come across as discouraging, but the point was made that it is indeed wood. Although generally, most of the stones VCA uses aren't particularly valuable or precious either. And TBH, I recently bought a pair of pricey earrings that are RG and amethyst - not an expensive stone, but a gorgeous and unique design, so for me it's not just about the value of the materials.

I was just surprised, having never tried it on before, how much it worked for me. I love VCA, but I need to be wowed by the piece AND how it looks on me - unfortunately, that eliminates almost everything but carnelian, pg and this (TE is nice and still possible; MOP is great but not actually a Wow on me [emoji20]) and I do need pieces that can go a but more casual because most of my jewelry tends toward dressy.

Another reason I'm leaning toward this and away from the pg - DH bought me a pg necklace this past holiday and they do compete.

Hi everyone! I've been so busy at work that I haven't had time to peruse the forum much. However, I did want to respond here. While I thought it was absurd to buy wood, my DH found it unique and wanted to give it to me as a gift. (I've spent so much money lately that I told him not too). Anyway, I tend to agree with him. Even though it's wood, it is unique and you don't see it replicated like onyx. I watch Maria Bartiromo in the mornings. I've seen her wear the 20 motifs in malachite, onyx and carnelian. She also has the 6 motif magic. Well on Thursday she was wearing a magic pendant. I was ambivalent if it was onyx or letterwood. I'm sticking with it being letterwood. She was wearing a velvet brown blazer and neutral tank. It looked spectacular!! It's moved up on my list (again). BCC, I think it would look beautiful with your hair. Would you layer it with your carnelian?

MyDogTink I really appreciate this!!! I think I just have to get past the fact that it's wood, it is much better on me than either onyx or yg, the color when it darkens is just stunning. Good question - I was away when I tried it on and I didn't have the carnelian with me, so I will have to see how it looks. I've tied on the carnelian with pg and that definitely worked, I imagine this layering might look even better! Will post pics when I go try it on...

BBC, you beat me to it! I was going to point out that really none of the other stones VCA uses--onyx, MOP, carnelian, tiger's eye, etc.--are expensive or rare. Because of this fact, pieces with porcelain or letterwood don't seem any less special to me than the others. The truly valuable stones are featured in VCA's high jewelry, I'm sure. If you like the pg/letterwood and it suits your coloring, I think you should go for it! I like that fact that is isn't as common as some of the other combinations. :smile:

I completely agree! I was hooked on VCA wood when I watched this enchanting video one year or so ago:
Not only is there a wonderful story behind it, but frankly, the craftsmanship is top notch and the wood, simply beautiful - the pink gold makes it even more majestic. I would buy it in a heartbeat! :love:

I completely agree! I was hooked on VCA wood when I watched this enchanting video one year or so ago:
Not only is there a wonderful story behind it, but frankly, the craftsmanship is top notch and the wood, simply beautiful - the pink gold makes it even more majestic. I would buy it in a heartbeat! :love:

What a wonderful video - thank you for sharing! Yes, it makes me love these pieces even more. [emoji177]