Buying a gift for your SA

blendedblush

Mar 21, 2014
Hey gang,

I get on really well with the staff at my store, especially my SA.

For Christmas, I've bought all the staff some chocolate and I'd like to buy something nice for my SA, I just don't know what. I don't really like buying alcohol because not everyone drinks and finding the recipients favorite tipple can be a nightmare!

He always goes out of his way for me, yes it may be his job. But I just want to show that I appreciate the hard work they all do:smile:

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance xxx

I know that you are looking for gift ideas, but have you notified his boss about how much you appreciate his professionalism and service? Sometimes you can express your satisfaction a lot to the specific SA, but making sure higher up knows about it, really helps them out. Just a thought...

I have usually given an envelope to the managers to use for a lunch or outing of the team's choosing. It has always been well received. Sometimes they email me pics of their outing or whatever. I feel that way they can choose and everyone is happy. I know it sounds lazy, but a thoughtful, heartfelt note and cash is always in style.

I give my SAs starbucks gift cards, though I guess I need to choose a different coffee shop or an iTunes card since I've boycotted Starbucks . . .

The joining with Monsanto in the suit in VT. Not sure if this too political for TPF. But at $5.50 a latte, they can use organic milk! Monsanto is about as evil as it gets. Starbucks is dancing with the devil and I hope they burn for it.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. The things we learn on tPF 😄

Hi all! Is it customary to tip your SA?
Last year for my birthday in September I made an appointment for myself, hubby, bff (it was her birthday also) and her hubby, to shop for LV items. My SA set up a private room with macaroons and champagne as well as most of the goodies we asked her to set aside for us. We made out like bandits with many bags and boxes. Best birthday of my life thus far. We were treated very well and even got a bottle each of champagne as gifts. I was so taken back by the wonderful service that I sent her a thank you card with a nice gift for herself. It felt appropriate, I felt like it would be wrong or incomplete to not express my gratitude. For Christmas I made another appointment to get more goodies, but this time it was just me and hubby. Again we were given a back room with champagne and snacks. I sent her a Christmas card with another gift/tip - it was Christmas after all and I tip my cleaning lady as well as the lawn maintenance man during Christmas, so again I felt it was appropriate.
She has kept in touch with me since then like sending me by appointment only invites for some of their events, etc.
Recently the glazing on the emp piece I picked up in September has began to crack and with management's approval I can exchange for something else. I asked her to reserve a few items for the exchange as I plan on checking out the new Emp Metis pochette releasing later this month and a few others I would like to try on.

Long story short, I started to wonder if she would reserve a back room again and I made a mental note to take a thank you card with me with a tip and give it to her as I left instead of mailing it in. I mentioned it to hubby and he wondered if I was going to tip her every time (I have gifted pretty substantial). I thought giving her any less would be... I dont know... maybe coming in short for lack of a better term.
I enjoy this forum a lot and well, thought I'd ask what was customary for everyone else? I began to have anxiety that perhaps its not appropriate and that Iv done something uncommon. As a side note she doesnt always answer my texts until after a couple of days, of which it is me that follows up with her to get an answer. Kind of leads me into thinking that the cards I've given her is no big deal and maybe pretty normal and not too special?

What is your experience?

Thanks!

Good point you are making. But from my experience the SA's are on a commisionary salary anyways, at least where i am from. So everytime you buy something from them they make a commision on top of their normal salary, which kind off is like tipping them, is it not? On the other hand it might help setting up a more personal relationship with an SA... I haven't tipped any of my SA's in the past but i am not that keen on special treadment, so i don't really see the point.

I reserve tipping exclusively for certain jobs within the service industry such as wait/bar staff, cleaning, my hair and nail techs, pizza/food delivery, etc. and only if the service itself was outstanding. My SA on the other hand makes a base wage plus commission on each sale, which is basically the tip, and I thank him with a card during the holidays as well as directing my friends and family his way for additional sales/commission. I don't send food or alcohol since those tend to be very personal things - everyone has specific tastes not to mention it's kind of awkward IMHO - but I do know that my SA has a terrible weakness for Starbuck's Iced Caramel Macchiatos and will often bring him one since there's no Starbucks in the business tower that LV shares.

At OP, don't worry if the SA does not reply right away. She could be busy entertaining many clients that day or it might have been her day off from work.

About tipping, I don't think it's necessary to do so, although you've been very kind to give her thank you cards and small gifts. I've been with my SA for years and she's been dedicated and gracious to me. I've given her macarons and chocolates that she could share (or not) with her colleagues, but not every time she does something outstanding for me. Otherwise, I'd have to do that every time I see her. :amuse:

If you feel uncomfortable, esp. with your husband's comment, forego the tip and card this time and just convey your appreciation verbally to your SA. :smile:

Hi all! Is it customary to tip your SA?
Last year for my birthday in September I made an appointment for myself, hubby, bff (it was her birthday also) and her hubby, to shop for LV items. My SA set up a private room with macaroons and champagne as well as most of the goodies we asked her to set aside for us. We made out like bandits with many bags and boxes. Best birthday of my life thus far. We were treated very well and even got a bottle each of champagne as gifts. I was so taken back by the wonderful service that I sent her a thank you card with a nice gift for herself. It felt appropriate, I felt like it would be wrong or incomplete to not express my gratitude. For Christmas I made another appointment to get more goodies, but this time it was just me and hubby. Again we were given a back room with champagne and snacks. I sent her a Christmas card with another gift/tip - it was Christmas after all and I tip my cleaning lady as well as the lawn maintenance man during Christmas, so again I felt it was appropriate.
She has kept in touch with me since then like sending me by appointment only invites for some of their events, etc.
Recently the glazing on the emp piece I picked up in September has began to crack and with management's approval I can exchange for something else. I asked her to reserve a few items for the exchange as I plan on checking out the new Emp Metis pochette releasing later this month and a few others I would like to try on.

Long story short, I started to wonder if she would reserve a back room again and I made a mental note to take a thank you card with me with a tip and give it to her as I left instead of mailing it in. I mentioned it to hubby and he wondered if I was going to tip her every time (I have gifted pretty substantial). I thought giving her any less would be... I dont know... maybe coming in short for lack of a better term.
I enjoy this forum a lot and well, thought I'd ask what was customary for everyone else? I began to have anxiety that perhaps its not appropriate and that Iv done something uncommon. As a side note she doesnt always answer my texts until after a couple of days, of which it is me that follows up with her to get an answer. Kind of leads me into thinking that the cards I've given her is no big deal and maybe pretty normal and not too special?

What is your experience?

Thanks!

I think the question becomes where do you draw the line? If you try on a piece of clothing in a department store and it doesn't fit and you ask the SA to nip and get you another size, would you tip them for doing that for you? It's the same principle. I think tipping every time you make a purchase is extreme personally but then it's a different culture over here.

To be honest, I don't think it's appropriate for her to accept gifts or tips. LV should have a policy about this. Of course an SA can accept a Christmas card, but money is a no go IMO.

First of all, this is against the interests of LV. She may favor customers who give a tip above other customers, who don't, even if they spent more money at LV. She may give you free repairs or put you first in line when there's a waitlist etc. There a risk that she will put her own interests before the interests of LV and of other customers.

Secondly I find this not in line with the standing of a luxury brand. SA's, especially those who sell luxury products, are trained to give their customers a nice experience at the store and to treat them with style and dignity. They should not accept gifts like a cleaning lady or a paper boy. I'm not saying you shouldn't be grateful for the special treatment she gave you, but she shouldn't accept anything in return. It's part of the service at a luxury brand.