No More Coach at Macy's & Lord & Taylor

Valkrie

O.G.
Jun 17, 2007
I was at the mall in my area today and noticed the inventory in both Macy's & L&T were very low and nothing new coming in. I was told at both stores that Coach is pulling out of the department stores. I had heard this awhile back and was hoping that it wasn't true. I can't understand why Coach would do that. I myself like to see the bag before buying it if possible. You would think this would bring a lot of returns if ordering online. The Coach fp store closed in my area about two years ago and we only have an outlet. Has anyone seen this in your area?

I was at the mall in my area today and noticed the inventory in both Macy's & L&T were very low and nothing new coming in. I was told at both stores that Coach is pulling out of the department stores. I had heard this awhile back and was hoping that it wasn't true. I can't understand why Coach would do that. I myself like to see the bag before buying it if possible. You would think this would bring a lot of returns if ordering online. The Coach fp store closed in my area about two years ago and we only have an outlet. Has anyone seen this in your area?
Wow really? Where do you live? A couple Macy's in my area have redone the Coach depts in last year.

The Macy's store in the mall near me has also gotten rid of their Coach section. I had noticed in the past 6 months or so that their Coach section was getting smaller and smaller. When I went about a month ago it was completely gone. I've noticed that many women in my area carry Michael Kors or dooney and those sections are still pretty strong at that Macy's.

There was a newspaper article and discussion somewhere here on the forum about this. Coach is "restructuring" and pulling out of department stores to try to elevate the brand and try to stay way from the deep discounts the department stores were doing with their products. Their 1941 line was never even in all the department stores, just some of the higher end ones. We are watching to see where the line is heading and if this will help or hurt them.

Reactions: Shopgirl1996
Coach closed one of two fp stores in my area keeping one store which happens to be in the same mall that has a Macy's with Coach. The Coach section in the Macy's expanded last year but I don't think they are doing well. There is no Coach outlet within driving distance. I see mostly Michael Kors worn around town, very little Coach, especially the new stuff. There are a few second hand stores that are flooded with older Coach and that along with Nordstrom Rack is the best place to find quality local Coach IMO.

Here is a link to the thread where this topic has been discussed:
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/coach-will-stop-selling-in-department-stores.949650/

There was a newspaper article and discussion somewhere here on the forum about this. Coach is "restructuring" and pulling out of department stores to try to elevate the brand and try to stay way from the deep discounts the department stores were doing with their products. Their 1941 line was never even in all the department stores, just some of the higher end ones. We are watching to see where the line is heading and if this will help or hurt them.

Belk is sort of like a Macy's or Lord & Taylor and the southeast. Anyway, the flagship Belk had a dedicated Coach section.Then a couple of years ago they added a dedicated Michael Kors section that was 3x the size of the Coach section. A few months ago, they eliminated the Coach section altogether and put Brahmin there instead. Just FYI, there is a Coach store AND a Brahmin store in the same mall, just around the corner. It makes no sense they would add a Brahmin section when the Brahmin store just opened like a year ago a stone's throw away but....

Anyway.....for the past year I noticed that coupons from Macys, Belk, Lord and Taylor etc can no longer be applied to Coach. I know it is a standard exclusion but I am talking Macy's VIP sales, Friends & Family etc. Same thing with Kate Spade. Michael Kors and Brahmin are still included in VIP sales etc. Even when Coach goes to clearance at Belk it is only reduced to 25% off.

This does not surprise me. Figuratively speaking, Coach wants to move out of the Contemporary Designer section of TPF and join LV etc in the Premier Designer section. Be a brand more in the neighborhood of Burberry perhaps?

For longtime customers this really bites. Now it is either pay full price - and the prices have gone WAY up - or wait for the 3x a year Coach has a sale. You never find the FP bags in the outlets anymore or rarely. I bet eventually Coach will eliminate sales altogether like the higher end designers. Personally I think this is all going to bite them in the a$$. I think it already has and yet they are determined to push forward with this strategy

Belk is sort of like a Macy's or Lord & Taylor and the southeast. Anyway, the flagship Belk had a dedicated Coach section.Then a couple of years ago they added a dedicated Michael Kors section that was 3x the size of the Coach section. A few months ago, they eliminated the Coach section altogether and put Brahmin there instead. Just FYI, there is a Coach store AND a Brahmin store in the same mall, just around the corner. It makes no sense they would add a Brahmin section when the Brahmin store just opened like a year ago a stone's throw away but....

Anyway.....for the past year I noticed that coupons from Macys, Belk, Lord and Taylor etc can no longer be applied to Coach. I know it is a standard exclusion but I am talking Macy's VIP sales, Friends & Family etc. Same thing with Kate Spade. Michael Kors and Brahmin are still included in VIP sales etc. Even when Coach goes to clearance at Belk it is only reduced to 25% off.

This does not surprise me. Figuratively speaking, Coach wants to move out of the Contemporary Designer section of TPF and join LV etc in the Premier Designer section. Be a brand more in the neighborhood of Burberry perhaps?

For longtime customers this really bites. Now it is either pay full price - and the prices have gone WAY up - or wait for the 3x a year Coach has a sale. You never find the FP bags in the outlets anymore or rarely. I bet eventually Coach will eliminate sales altogether like the higher end designers. Personally I think this is all going to bite them in the a$$. I think it already has and yet they are determined to push forward with this strategy

Sadly for us, so far it seems their strategy is working financially , their fiscal year returns are up while Michael Kors and Kate Spade are down. Kate Spade is actually so down that news is reporting they will probably be sold off.

Coach prices have gone up, especially with their 1941 lines. I'm guilty! I do love that line and have found myself buying the products at full price because I do like them plus finding those on sale is rare. I also think the quality is great for this 1941 line. I have bought some of the non-1941 line products as well but usually wait for those til they are on sale. Now I find myself looking at creating a custom Rogue, never would I have thought of spending that kind of money before.

Will it continue to work financially for them? Only time will tell!

I was at a Macy's today and their Coach section has shrunk considerably. It's sharing its space with some other brand but it's hidden behind it. I'm guessing soon, there will be no Coach presence in that mall. The Coach store was closed last June.

Hard to stay stagnant in this corporate fueled world, you do and you'll get run over.

Coach is still sold at The Bay here in Canada.

I don't know... Personally, I always got disappointed when I would purchase at full price and then find the bag at the outlets later. They said the Borough would never go on sale or to the outlet, but it did. I did not purchase any more Coach bags after the intro of the Borough and my subsequent anger over finding it at the outlet... until now with the 1941 line. They actually seem to be sticking to their guns this time for the most part (embellished seasonal stuff aside), which is good.