How to stop cracking on vachetta leather? :(

CSG

Mar 11, 2015
How will I stop the cracking on vachetta leather? :sad: I tried to put Apple Leather Conditioner on the area and it becomes more noticeable. Can a professional stop it permanently? This is a vintage LV. Really sad to notice this. I am worried that the cracking will get worst. Other vachetta parts of the bag seems ok but I do not know in the future use.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 7,792
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 7,062
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 7,905
How will I stop the cracking on vachetta leather? :sad: I tried to put Apple Leather Conditioner on the area and it becomes more noticeable. Can a professional stop it permanently? This is a vintage LV. Really sad to notice this. I am worried that the cracking will get worst. Other vachetta parts of the bag seems ok but I do not know in the future use.
As the leather dries over the years, it needs to be regularly conditioned. If not taken care of properly, it will dry out and/or rot (it all depends on your climate). You can't reverse the cracking but you can always get Louis Vuitton to replace the strap for you.

As the leather dries over the years, it needs to be regularly conditioned. If not taken care of properly, it will dry out and/or rot (it all depends on your climate). You can't reverse the cracking but you can always get Louis Vuitton to replace the strap for you.

Can I still apply conditioner on the cracked parts or will it get worse? How ofter do you usually condition the leather of your bags? I live in a tropical country.

I actually consider getting repair at LV but I know it will be costly! I am also not sure if LV will offer replacement sttap for free?

Can I still apply conditioner on the cracked parts or will it get worse? How ofter do you usually condition the leather of your bags? I live in a tropical country.

I actually consider getting repair at LV but I know it will be costly! I am also not sure if LV will offer replacement sttap for free?
Louis Vuitton will replace the leather strap for a fee. You must take your bag to your local boutique and they will give you a personalized repair quote.

I only have a couple of bags with untreated leather. I apply leather conditioner twice a year.

Louis Vuitton will replace the leather strap for a fee. You must take your bag to your local boutique and they will give you a personalized repair quote.

I only have a couple of bags with untreated leather. I apply leather conditioner twice a year.

Thank you very much! I will check with LV if it is costly then maybe I will have the bag repaired once the cracking is unbearable.

I would apply conditioner. I don't know if you can expect great results, but I think it'll only get worse if you don't.

I actually went to LV boutique to ask how much it will cost to repair. They told me that since there is a cracking, the only thing to do is replace the entire handle which will cost 300 to 400USD!!! Crazy! They suggest I continue using it since cracking is only minimal as of the moment. I do not see myself spending that much for a repair. Then, I ask if they suggest applying conditioner and they said NO. But I will apply conditioner as most people suggested since that is my only option LOL! Hope it works!

Reactions: SerenityLV
I actually went to LV boutique to ask how much it will cost to repair. They told me that since there is a cracking, the only thing to do is replace the entire handle which will cost 300 to 400USD!!! Crazy! They suggest I continue using it since cracking is only minimal as of the moment. I do not see myself spending that much for a repair. Then, I ask if they suggest applying conditioner and they said NO. But I will apply conditioner as most people suggested since that is my only option LOL! Hope it works!
Keep in mind that when Louis Vuitton repairs your bag, the results will be excellent. So saving the money for this strap replacement would be well worth it. Good luck!

Keep in mind that when Louis Vuitton repairs your bag, the results will be excellent. So saving the money for this strap replacement would be well worth it. Good luck!

Let me think about that. I do not know if that is worth it for a vintage piece. It is close to 470USD which is the price of the vintage bag already. Hmmmm.

Personally I don't think it looks bad enough to have it repaired, especially not at that price. If you don't condition it, it probably will get worse though. Maybe you could try to apply conditioner at a less visible part of the strap. If you're happy with the result, you can treat to whole strap.

Reactions: CSG
Personally I don't think it looks bad enough to have it repaired, especially not at that price. If you don't condition it, it probably will get worse though. Maybe you could try to apply conditioner at a less visible part of the strap. If you're happy with the result, you can treat to whole strap.

I conditioned the leather and its seems to work out fine. Less creaking sounds on the leather when I use the bag. I use the apple leather conditioner. It darkens the leather a little but in even color.

I agree with you that the price is to much for the damage it has right now so I will use and enjoy it first.