What is the perfect black bag

berta

mom2 12paws
O.G.
Oct 6, 2007
I am in dire need of a new black bag. i sort of spent my entire years worth of bags this past month... so I have a year to save.

It needs to be big. I'm old so crossbodies don't work. But if you could buy the perfect satchel, or shoulder, or tote in black what would that be?

I am in dire need of a new black bag. i sort of spent my entire years worth of bags this past month... so I have a year to save.

It needs to be big. I'm old so crossbodies don't work. But if you could buy the perfect satchel, or shoulder, or tote in black what would that be?
If money were no object I'd purchase a Bottega Veneta Cabat. The craftsmanship is out of this world and the leather gets more beautiful and softer as it gets older.

voyage-ready-to-go-croc-embossed-leather-tote-thumb2x.jpg
This is my favorite black bag. It's the Diane von Furstenberg Ready-to-Go Voyage Tote. I own several black bags but this one seems to be the one that I feel most love for; it's big but you can cinch the sides in, the interior is a glorious red suede and it's easy dress up and down. The straps are long enough to fit comfortably over my shoulder. Just a winning combo all around!

Reactions: berta and Evia
I'm quite interested to know too as I'm also saving up at the moment. I do really like the black Prada bags on the website, but I'm not sure about their quality. I also really like the Saint Laurent sac de jour and cabas rive gauche range. The LV leather bags are very durable and good quality but lots of ££££,$$$$.
I also have my eye on the new Mulberry zipped Bayswater. Good luck and us know how you get on.

Last edited:
The Fendi medium Peekaboo comes to mind, in the Selleria version if you can swing it. I'd also look into Tom Ford. I recently bought a Tom Ford Serena bag that I'm pretty excited about, and I really like the look of the new Natalia bag - http://www.tomford.com/natalia-handle-shoulder-bag/L0985T-CA1.html?cgid=5-53&dwvar_L0985T-CA1_color=BLK#prefn1=productType&prefv1=DAY+BAGS|SHOULDER+BAGS&start=7

Looked at the Tom Ford online, very conservative, a direction I should be following. The leather looks amazing. I have always liked the large 3Jours, but the Peekaboo kind of makes me crazy. I keep wanting to fix it. The Pandora is another bag, not they are anything alike, just that to me, it looks like it's falling.
I am adding the Tom Ford to my list, which is wonderful because I don't believe I have ever considered this designer. Thank you.

You are so right. Nice structured bag. Now I am getting excited. Need to have something to look forward to.
Yes its pretty structured . But I prefer structured bags over any other types . I recommend going to the store and trying it out . Have fun :smile: And do not forget to post what you end up buying :smile:

I have a Gucci Sukey in black Guccisima leather that is probably the most practical luxury bag I own. The snaps on the sides allow it to expand for traveling and it holds a ton. It's not so deep that you lose everything, and the interior is light so you can see what's inside. It also fits on your shoulder. My dream black bags would be a Chanel flap for evenings/events or a Birkin for every day.