Disturbing disclosure re ebay's actions

Both the buyer and seller were made whole financially. The offending item was potentially Holocaust memorabilia. The seller is suing ebay for destroying it. Since he got to keep the money, I don't see what grounds he has for the lawsuit.

Most of us don't intend to violate ebay policy so it shouldn't make anyone afraid to use GSP. Just make sure you don't sell an item that is prohibited in the country you are sending it to.

I'm surprised ebay sellers are allowed to sell python items to buyers in California.

What I gleaned from the comments is that whatever a seller puts in their title shows up in the customs declaration. That might make some people rethink their titles if they are going to be using GSP.

Both the buyer and seller were made whole financially. The offending item was potentially Holocaust memorabilia. The seller is suing ebay for destroying it. Since he got to keep the money, I don't see what grounds he has for the lawsuit.
Although the seller was made whole, there's historical value in the memorabilia and that's what he's suing for. There's the Smithsonian as well as other Holocaust museums around the country (and world) that would have been grateful to receive donations of memorabilia.

Although the seller was made whole, there's historical value in the memorabilia and that's what he's suing for. There's the Smithsonian as well as other Holocaust museums around the country (and world) that would have been grateful to receive donations of memorabilia.
Yes, there is value and it is a shame it was destroyed, if it actually was. However, in the legal system, you have to show damages. He has no damages since his intention was to sell and he got the money from the sale. You've said it yourself; once you've sold it, you have no say as to what happens to it. Possibly the buyer or the Holocaust museum could claim damages. But there was no proof that it was actually a Holocaust item.

I have no issue with ebay taking action on sellers who violate policy based on whatever premise, be it counterfeit items or otherwise banned or prohibited. But I do have an issue with ebay, paypal or any other entity deciding to dispose of said items.

WHile I have an aversion to the sale of and sellers of counterfeit items as much as the next guy or gal, I've also seen and read too many cases of authentic items being destroyed.

And then there were the cases of years back where paypal and ebay took possession of and resold truckloads of seized items on liquidation.com followed by (at some future point) their ending up back on ebay!!

So who did that takeover benefit?

While an item may or may not be counterfeit, may or may not be offensive, may or may not be illegal to resell, such items belong to the seller and should be sent back to that seller. Let ebay monitor that seller and sanction him if he chooses to relist.

In the case of historical memorabilia, retaining access to those artifacts allows a documentation of the history behind them. Once those items are gone, they're gone as is the piece of history that went with them.

I understand the counterfeit issue, as I have absolutely no faith that Ebay know's what it's doing about anything and there is nothing clear at all in relation to what happens to counterfeit goods/who decides etc. I still think though, that if something violates their policy (or Post Office hazardous polices) then seller beware.

Having said that, it's a shame that Evilbay don't bother regulating their own site in regard to the I'm sure thousands and thousands of auctions which do violate their own policy...

Peace
x

I didn't read the link in detail and I didn't realise this covers counterfeit items. Who is to say an item is counterfeit? Are eBay going to authenticate all items sent to GSP centre? This doesn't sound right or even practical to me.
As for postal prohibited items, eBay cannot send those items back knowing that they are prohibited. They have no other choice but to destroy them. Whether they do actually destroy them or sell it on, that's another matter. Nothing is beyond eBay's scheming business practice.

Reactions: Kathleen37
I understand the counterfeit issue, as I have absolutely no faith that Ebay know's what it's doing about anything and there is nothing clear at all in relation to what happens to counterfeit goods/who decides etc. I still think though, that if something violates their policy (or Post Office hazardous polices) then seller beware.

Having said that, it's a shame that Evilbay don't bother regulating their own site in regard to the I'm sure thousands and thousands of auctions which do violate their own policy...

Peace
x
They regulate their site. Reported items do get removed. Many items don't get reported before they sell. The only way to catch close to 100% of violations is to monitor them before they are listed; make all listings go through an approval process before they show up. That would be costly and cause massive delays. I don't think anyone would want that. As far as counterfeits go, many listings either don't have the pictures that would prove an item is fake or use photos of an authentic item in place of the counterfeit that is actually shipped.

They regulate their site. Reported items do get removed. Many items don't get reported before they sell. The only way to catch close to 100% of violations is to monitor them before they are listed; make all listings go through an approval process before they show up. That would be costly and cause massive delays. I don't think anyone would want that. As far as counterfeits go, many listings either don't have the pictures that would prove an item is fake or use photos of an authentic item in place of the counterfeit that is actually shipped.

A few weeks back, I reported at least 10 fake Chanel bags that were BIN items which all ended within a week. I kept an eye on all of them and eBay didn't remove one bag that I reported.

A few weeks back, I reported at least 10 fake Chanel bags that were BIN items which all ended within a week. I kept an eye on all of them and eBay didn't remove one bag that I reported.
I've seen periods like that with my own reports, like they don't have anyone reviewing the reports. Lately, nearly everything I report has been removed within an hour or less, even when I report in the wee hours of the morning. Maybe it depends on the brand.

I've seen periods like that with my own reports, like they don't have anyone reviewing the reports. Lately, nearly everything I report has been removed within an hour or less, even when I report in the wee hours of the morning. Maybe it depends on the brand.
I think it does depend but exactly on what I am not sure. When I used to follow the Hermes bag authentication thread a bit more, the listings deemed fake got removed pretty quickly, to the point that by the time I click on the link via tpf posts, they'd already been removed.

I think it does depend but exactly on what I am not sure. When I used to follow the Hermes bag authentication thread a bit more, the listings deemed fake got removed pretty quickly, to the point that by the time I click on the link via tpf posts, they'd already been removed.
I've noticed that too. When they are mentioned in the AT thread, they get removed quickly, like someone at ebay is reading. It also really helps to post them in the hall of shame. Ebay is less likely to ignore if they get multiple reports.