Color Dilemma - Brown, Black or Orange

Mar 21, 2007
Hi Ladies!
I'm a bit of a lurker and have gotten quite an education from the awesome people and tons of posts on this forum. There is so much great advice and so much more to learn.

I have been dreaming for a long time ... but now I am starting to seriously look for a Birkin as it will be my 10 year anniversary gift from my DH. But I am having such a dilemma. I love Barenia and love that its so casual. I will schlep this bag near and far and not worry about weather or anything. But I want it to go with as much as my wardrobe as possible - sweaters, skirts and jeans. I am careful at work and even the grocery store to try and not wear brown shoes with a black coat or bag and all that. Maybe I am old fashioned to think that matters? I wear black more than brown, but brown is my #2 staple. I am leaning toward an Blue Jean or Potiron/Orange Togo Birkin because I can switch from brown to black easily. Does Barenia go with everything, because its so awesome? I know a lot of the old fashion rules have been eroded in the past century ... but am I crazy to think wearing brown with black is such a no-no? What do you ladies do?
;)

At the moment, the old restrictions against combining brown and black or navy and black, as well as the former taboos of mixing metals or having to match shoe and bag color, are all being defied. Mix patterns, combine high and low fashion, wear girly with tough--anything goes! Who knows what will happen in the future, but I think the natural leather color of Barenia goes with everything. Blue jean actually does NOT go with denim, so be aware of that (I know, it's ironic), and black with Potiron or orange can look rather Halloween. I myself would choose Barenia or Gold or a similar neutral before either of those. But the bottom line is that you must choose what you feel comfortable with. If the brown/black thing feels wrong to you, you will not reach for a brown bag as often as a more contrasting color, and you should follow your heart! Whatever you choose, an Hermes Birkin will always be in style. Enjoy the decision process and congratulations on your ten year anniversary!

Go with barenia the classic smooth barenia not the new, not improved bumpy new barenia, which was posted recently. It doesn't get any better than this leather, and I will shamefully confess I have a black chevre and a havanne (brown) in swift and if I could keep just one, barenia wins. I wear black, navy with meandering of other colors. When I probed my heart why barenia makes my heart throb, what bubbled up was my book bag in grammar school. It was made of this natural leather with the most memorable aroma and that same leather protected my hand when I played ball. Yes it will mar and wear its life experiences for all to see, but what a lovely companion.

I agree with Mindi B that Bleu Jean doesn't go with denim...to me it's much less aptly named than most H colors. I understand your "black with black" rule but am a little confused as to why orange or light blue would be ok with black if brown makes you uncomfortable.

For me...I agree there are no rules, but I am a wearer of much black and yet somehow have acquired a LOT of brown Hermès bags, including a Barenia Birkin and a Gold Birkin. I have no issue wearing these bags with black shoes, belt, whatever - to me that's immaterial - and the brown bags always work with jeans - but if I am in full New York City head-to-toe black, I do want a black bag. That's the only time I might question a brown bag - if I am wearing absolutely nothing else that is not black, there is a sleekness I don't want to mess up.

Now, if your black is not head to toe monochrome, you're fine and can wear a brown bag anytime. Fauve Barenia even more so as it's not a "brown colored bag", it's a natural leather color which should function as an ultimate neutral. Hope that makes sense :P

Have you considered one of the taupey gray colors such as Etain or Etoupe that could work with either your black or brown wardrobe? As far as wearing brown with black it would depend on the shade of brown for me to like it. I like the saddle brown and lighter shades with black and the natural Barenia would be beautiful with black!

My first B was actually a Gold one with GHW. To me it was the perfect 'neutral' bag to go for as my first. The pro's of the color, is that it does go with everything. Regarding Orange, I have a B GHW in Feu. The color to my surprise is very versatile and does go with almost everything, in fact I tend to wear my orange B more than my other ones. I am still waiting to receive my Black Kelly, but I assume the color will go with everything.

To sum up, it's a very personal decision based on your lifestyle and how you intend to use the bag - but to give you my advise, I would recommend a black one, because of the aging of the bag in long distance.

Hi Ladies!
I'm a bit of a lurker and have gotten quite an education from the awesome people and tons of posts on this forum. There is so much great advice and so much more to learn.

I have been dreaming for a long time ... but now I am starting to seriously look for a Birkin as it will be my 10 year anniversary gift from my DH. But I am having such a dilemma. I love Barenia and love that its so casual. I will schlep this bag near and far and not worry about weather or anything. But I want it to go with as much as my wardrobe as possible - sweaters, skirts and jeans. I am careful at work and even the grocery store to try and not wear brown shoes with a black coat or bag and all that. Maybe I am old fashioned to think that matters? I wear black more than brown, but brown is my #2 staple. I am leaning toward an Blue Jean or Potiron/Orange Togo Birkin because I can switch from brown to black easily. Does Barenia go with everything, because its so awesome? I know a lot of the old fashion rules have been eroded in the past century ... but am I crazy to think wearing brown with black is such a no-no? What do you ladies do?
;)
Black, black and black. How can you go wrong with black :smile: ?

I adore fauve barenia- it is probably the most quintessential Hermès color / leather combination out there. However I do carry mostly my black Birkin or Kelly. They just go with everything so it is so easy to grab one of them from the shelf..

As said above, think which colored bags you carry currently. This should guide you towards the right decision. My first B was in gold which is a great staple.

Thank you so much, everyone, for your fabulous replies ... now I am leaning toward barenia. Docride manages to get barenia birkins every so often, so ... I will keep a lookout. I do love the baseball glove color and I don't mind that over the years it will get a patina. Water spots will not bother me. I change bags every month or so. I have a LV Neverfull GM and a black Chanel tote for the winter and then I switch between misc KSpade totes that are pink, blue, green, red, dove white... so its not like I use just one purse color a lot. Also, I rarely dress in all black and I am glad I asked y'all because I thought that Bleu Jean would go with more colors. I did consider the taupe and I do love gris/grey ... but not totally sold on it. As long as it would be OK to use a barenia bag with black boots in winter and black shoes in summer ... it looks like my mind is made up. So what if I need to get more brown shoes, right?

I sort of also had it in my head that if I did manage to buy a birkin, I wanted a more lively color (so. many. choices.) ... some recognizable color that I could wear in Spring Summer and Fall ... like orange. So there's a tiny part of me that also wants the orange color ... guess I need to keep saving after I get my first to get my second! Don't tell DH! ;)