Lambskin Quilting Puffiness?

Sep 18, 2006
Last week I purchased a classic medium flap in lambskin from Joseph at BG ( thank you to the two ladies that PM’d me his contact info!). I asked him if the quilts were puffy and he said they’re not too puffy, but they’re not flat either. Being that this bag sells out so fast and it was the only one in stock that had just arrived the day before, I said I’ll take it!

I received my bag today and he is right it is not very puffy. I really would have preferred if it was. Now I wish I would have waited for a puffier one (if they even come that way) which leads me to the question… Do all black lambskin medium flaps of recent years have the same puffiness or is each bag different? My other question is, could it be the lighting or the angle of the picture that makes the quilts look puffier because I noticed that when I took pics in different angles, the quilts did look puffier? I hope I don’t sound too paranoid.

Attachments

• IMG_0381.JPG
    IMG_0381.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 1,847
  • IMG_0382.jpg
    IMG_0382.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 1,904
  • IMG_0383.JPG
    IMG_0383.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 1,824
  • IMG_0384.JPG
    IMG_0384.JPG
    228.2 KB · Views: 1,804
As I was browsing the reference library I came across these two pics which I hope the bag owners don’t mind me posting for comparison to my bag.

credit: bagloverny
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1403400599.481289.jpg

credit: rowy65
image.jpg

Congrats on your beautiful classic flap! I think the SA's description of the puffiness was fairly accurate based on the photos you posted, but lighting certainly plays a huge roll in how puffy the quilts look in photos (and even IRL). Also, I do believe the puffiness varies from season to season and even from bag to bag. Everyone has their own preference on the puffiness of quilts...the only thing that matters is if you are happy with it. One of the benefits of not-so-puffy quilts is any deflation of the quilts as the bag ages won't be as obvious. Good luck with your decision. Your bag looks lovely IMO!

Reactions: Vanana
Congrats on your beautiful classic flap! I think the SA's description of the puffiness was fairly accurate based on the photos you posted, but lighting certainly plays a huge roll in how puffy the quilts look in photos (and even IRL). Also, I do believe the puffiness varies from season to season and even from bag to bag. Everyone has their own preference on the puffiness of quilts...the only thing that matters is if you are happy with it. One of the benefits of not-so-puffy quilts is any deflation of the quilts as the bag ages won't be as obvious. Good luck with your decision. Your bag looks lovely IMO!

Thank you so much! I always wondered whether or not these bags are that puffy IRL because like I said in certain angles the quilts definitely seem puffier. Here are more pics of mine with different angles. Also, thanks for mentioning the benefits of not-so-puffy quilts because I was trying to tell myself maybe it’s a plus that the quilts are not too puffy so they won’t look deflated with time. I do plan on keeping this bag for many many years and passing it down to my daughter so I don’t want it to age too quickly :smile:

Attachments

• IMG_0394.JPG
    IMG_0394.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 1,743
  • IMG_0392.jpg
    IMG_0392.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 1,684
  • IMG_0397.JPG
    IMG_0397.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 1,692
Thank you so much! I always wondered whether or not these bags are that puffy IRL because like I said in certain angles the quilts definitely seem puffier. Here are more pics of mine with different angles. Also, thanks for mentioning the benefits of not-so-puffy quilts because I was trying to tell myself maybe it’s a plus that the quilts are not too puffy so they won’t look deflated with time. I do plan on keeping this bag for many many years and passing it down to my daughter so I don’t want it to age too quickly :smile:
It's beautiful! Enjoy it and congrats!

To be completely honest with you, I can already see some deflation on the sides of the flap...I personally would return and just wait for another one with puffier quilting (I'm a puff queen lol).
It's still a gorgeous piece...it just depends on what your preferences are. If you really want puffier quilting then it makes no sense to settle.

Thank you so much! I always wondered whether or not these bags are that puffy IRL because like I said in certain angles the quilts definitely seem puffier. Here are more pics of mine with different angles. Also, thanks for mentioning the benefits of not-so-puffy quilts because I was trying to tell myself maybe it’s a plus that the quilts are not too puffy so they won’t look deflated with time. do plan on keeping this bag for many many years and passing it down to my daughter so I don’t want it to age too quickly :smile:
I have a super puffy lamb jumbo that I call batman and it's ridiculously puffy (not angle or photo).. but I think thats why I love touching and looking at it but I don't carry it often at all. I have a flatter lamb in ML only slightly puffier than yours and I wear it all the time. I find it more "modern" look because of it. Your is not very puffy but I think very nice. It's not flat. You can see the curve of the leather on each quilt obviously and as such, the sheen of the leather. Also, the color of the black in yours is nice and deep which i think is nice too.

Congrats your bag is stunning. I personally prefer the quilts to be puffy and for that reason I would return and wait for the perfect one. That's just personal preference though! I don't think you should settle if it's not what you want.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone! I’m so torn. Everything about this bag is perfect except the quilts not being as puffy as I prefer. It has a very dark saturated color which is just lovely. It is Made in France which I prefer for no particular reason. It was so beautifully wrapped. He said he had just received it the day before I called. I don’t think it was ever taken out of the box except when I asked him to check if it was Made in France. The thing is I am out of state. I would have to ship it back and if I wait to get another one what if the next one isn’t as I like. I mean he doesn’t know how puffy I want the quilts lol. Everyone has a different preference. Honestly I’m kind of embarrassed to send it back just because of the puffiness. It’s my fault really. He did tell me it’s not very puffy, but in my excitement to have found it, I purchased it right away. My husband thinks I should just keep it because I might not get a better one if I exchange it. I have a WOC that has flat quilts and every time I look at it, I wish it was puffier (but I don't know maybe WOC lambskin quilts are meant to be flatter). I just don’t want to look at this bag and feel the same way, but then I think well I’d rather have the quilts less puffy than having them deflate with time. I don’t know what to do. :confused1:

I have a lamb jumbo which I would consider very puffy. I feel that with puffier quilts, the deflated ones are quite obvious, and it's not difficult to get "little dents" in them. I used to prefer puffier quilts until I had a less puffy one. I think the quilts on your bag looks like a nice level of puff. The puffiness on each lamb bags are different. If you are wishing you had a puffier one, perhaps you should wait for the perfect bag.

I have a lamb jumbo which I would consider very puffy. I feel that with puffier quilts, the deflated ones are quite obvious, and it's not difficult to get "little dents" in them. I used to prefer puffier quilts until I had a less puffy one. I think the quilts on your bag looks like a nice level of puff. The puffiness on each lamb bags are different. If you are wishing you had a puffier one, perhaps you should wait for the perfect bag.

This is my dilemma. I'd much rather have puffier quilts because I love the look, but if they're going to deflate I'd rather have less puffiness. Still undecided :-s