Long time collectors: question for you.

momjules

May 4, 2015
I have been collecting since November 2012. I just caught some bags with the leather key keepers. Do you think today's handbags are made cheaper? Do you think the leather is cheaper? Do you think there is too much coated cotton than before? The older bags look more sturdy and well made. Even some having six feet.
Can you please offer your thoughts?

Hi Jules, yes I think Dooney as well as most companies has to find ways to cut costs due to manufacturing cost always increasing. I think they try to find ways to still remain true to their customers by keeping to their price point while still making their target margin.

I haven't been collecting for that long, but I have noticed materials changing a bit, pebble grain leather being thinner than the older pebbled leather or the Dillen collection, etc. The new Toscana line of Florentine and even some of the newer Florentine satchels feel thinner.

It doesn't bother me too much because I understand why they have to do it. I appreciate that they still offer great details that stay true to their brand while not raising their prices too much for us. I also appreciate a lighter weight handbag these days. It's what companies have to do to stay competitive and in business. I think Dooney has overall done a great job in keeping their price point for us while still continually offering new styles regularly.

Some may not agree with me, but being in manufacturing myself I see what goes into planning and delivering a competitive product to the market first hand. It's quite the delicate balancing act.

Reactions: kimarley
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MJ!:drinks:
I hope you're having a great day!

I complained for a long time about Dooney replacing the leather key leash for nylon. I was insulted that they wanted us to believe it was done because the leather straps were breaking. No one in all the years I've been in this forum or the QVC forum said their strap broke. Anyway, I had to let that go because I'd rather have a nylon key leash than none at all, and I still love Dooney bags. Other than that, I think they've tried to stay as true to their original craftsmanship, considering the factors TB mentioned. It is a sign of the times. I stalk the LV forum and there are complaints about the quality of some of their items.

Reactions: DBLover318

I complained for a long time about Dooney replacing the leather key leash for nylon. I was insulted that they wanted us to believe it was done because the leather straps were breaking. No one in all the years I've been in this forum or the QVC forum said their strap broke. Anyway, I had to let that go because I'd rather have a nylon key leash than none at all, and I still love Dooney bags. Other than that, I think they've tried to stay as true to their original craftsmanship, considering the factors TB mentioned. It is a sign of the times. I stalk the LV forum and there are complaints about the quality of some of their items.
I agree. Dooney's leathers are like second to none. Very substantial.
Their coated cotton too, I've noticed, is pretty much the same now as it did 12 years ago (comparing to a multicolored bag I bought in around 2004).
The bag linings to me (in addition to the color of course), feel a bit different, a little thinner and rougher than the blue lining they had years ago. But still good quality in my opinion.

Reactions: RuedeNesle

Thank you for the birthday wish! I'm sorry my thank you is belated!

I love Dooney and I always will. with that being said, I have had no problems with the quality of the bags going down. They are offering more material options [previously it was all leather] but they are just expanding their brand to get a wider range of collectors. I personally do not like coated canvas, so I do not buy them, however there are so many leather options, I do not feel as though there is nothing for me.

So I am new to this forum, but not to Dooneys. I have many and I actually prefer my vintage AWLs because of the quality. My newer ones have not held up or maintained their shape nearly as good as the older ones. I get complements on the classic look of the vintage styles constantly and I feel they are superior to some of the trendy styles. Are there other vintage AWL fans out there?