Starting a new LV collection - print choices

If you had to start (or restart) your entire LV collection from scratch, would you:

• A) choose every item to be of the same print (ie. everything would be black epi leather ONLY etc.)

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • B) mix it up with different prints

Votes: 45 97.8%

• Total voters

LuxDuJour

Jan 22, 2017
Hi everyone!!

I'm so glad to have a community of like-minded people to talk about our favourite designer goods! I've been watching many of your adventures from afar, but I finally had a question that I couldn't answer myself, so I felt that I had to sign up!

I wanted to get your opinion on something. I'm very new to this world and have been saving up to finally get my first piece/start my collection (I'll probably start with something small like a key pouch and build from there). The thing is that when I was looking at which items I want, I can't figure out one thing.

So my questions is: If you had to start (or restart) your entire LV collection from scratch, would you,

A) choose every item to be of the same print (ie. everything would be black epi leather ONLY etc.)
OR
B) mix it up with different prints

I kind of like the uniformity of having one single print so they ALL match together if I am using more than one item at a time, but at the same time, I feel it could get boring after a while. I'm kind of torn by this. Also, to be honest, I'm not a fan of all the prints available (sacrilege, I know!). I kind of only like maybe max three or four of them, which why I was thinking it might be easier just to stick with one and run with it or maybe have a collection of just those three or four prints. Since I'm just starting I guess it would be easier now to make this decision rather than change everything later on.

What do you guys think? How are you designing your collection currently? Give me your opinions and thoughts on the matter! Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance.

I prefer to have a certain homogeneity in my collection, but still wouldn't restrict my purchases to one print/leather only. That would seem a bit radical. ;)

Variety is the spice of life! I don't like everything to match exactly. Plus, things have a way of growing on you. What you dislike now, you may like later on. I used to hate the Damier Azur print....and now I kind of like it with the pink lining.

I buy what I like - if there is a particular print I like, in a style that works, I buy it. It doesn't necessarily have to match everything I own. That being said, the items I'm drawn to all tend to go well together (i.e.. all of my turquoise items). But I definitely wouldn't restrict myself to just one print. That is part of the fun of LV - the variety! Buy what you love and what speaks to you and don't overthink whether everything is a "set" or goes together. That's my advice :smile:

Reactions: Aliluvlv
This is an interesting question.... I find in SLGs I only buy monogram. In bags through I feel more open to variety. I am also noticing that DA is growing on me! Currently don't have any monogram canvas bags. Only DE and Empreinte speedys

I like to have variety in my bags - at the moment I have 2 in mono, two in de, two in leather (1 calf/1 taurillon), and one in da. Like the poster above, all of my SLGs are in mono. I have a very small collection of SLGs so maybe that will change over time.

I get tired of the canvas prints very quickly. That's why I personally could never just stick to one. I like having variety and I never have many bags in the same print. So variety is my recommendation!

My first was a mono speedy 30 and then mono 6key holder. I started off "matchy-matchy" but now 10 years later I have a mix of all prints and many leathers. Looking inside my bag, I have multiple print slgs - good luck on deciding!

I tend to have one bag in each print
Like mono, DE, DA, empriente, epi, ect...when a new one comes into my closet of the same then I usually get rid of the other. I just hate so much stuff. But love the options of different prints depending on weather and attire.

My collection of SLG is multiples of all prints.

I love variety and have bags & SLGs in different prints & colours. I´d find it very dull if I - for example - only had Monogram items.
But of course this is a question of personal preference. I listened to my gut feeling and bought each bag / SLG in the print that I thought works best with the style.
If you have preferences for certain prints, then focus on these and maybe you can also add some colors occasionally :smile: .

I started with DE because less hassle of the mono's vachetta. I am a minimalist so I like to have bags for certain occasions. I am not too fond of black but I agree a black lambskin Chanel Flap (or the like) should be in every collection (and I myself am working toward finding a black bag that I like & in my budget). I think everyone needs (okay, maybe not "need" but should have for a nice accessory wardrobe) a nice clutch or small bag, a medium-sized bag and larger bag (maybe a tote). Plus a good crossbody throw-around bag (like when taking kids to a faire or concert) so if something spills on it (been there with a Coach bag), you can just wipe clean. In regards to colors, pick what would go best for your wardrobe. I think DE can go with everything, even black. Yes I tend to wear black, greys, jeans and darker colors but I am just not fond of black bags so DE works well for me. Then maybe a bag or two in a fun pop of color...my choice is a rose red (can always go with Louboutins) and maybe a LE bag or something wild like the Chanel Rainbow Cuba for the summer days while wearing a flirty dress.

I am slowly building my bag collection. My budget can only handle LV even though I do love Chanel and Hermes so their SLGs will have to satisfy me there. I will eventually get something like a Speedy B (for my "daily" medium-sized bag) and a mm or gm NF tote (for traveling purposes). I have my small Eva DE bag and therefore have no need for a clutch (I gotta have a chain or strap). I already have my throw-around Coach bags for concerts, etc. And someday a black bag for the rare formal occasions.

I prefer to have a certain homogeneity in my collection, but still wouldn't restrict my purchases to one print/leather only. That would seem a bit radical. ;)

Variety is the spice of life! I don't like everything to match exactly. Plus, things have a way of growing on you. What you dislike now, you may like later on. I used to hate the Damier Azur print....and now I kind of like it with the pink lining.

I buy what I like - if there is a particular print I like, in a style that works, I buy it. It doesn't necessarily have to match everything I own. That being said, the items I'm drawn to all tend to go well together (i.e.. all of my turquoise items). But I definitely wouldn't restrict myself to just one print. That is part of the fun of LV - the variety! Buy what you love and what speaks to you and don't overthink whether everything is a "set" or goes together. That's my advice :smile:

This is an interesting question.... I find in SLGs I only buy monogram. In bags through I feel more open to variety. I am also noticing that DA is growing on me! Currently don't have any monogram canvas bags. Only DE and Empreinte speedys

I like to have variety in my bags - at the moment I have 2 in mono, two in de, two in leather (1 calf/1 taurillon), and one in da. Like the poster above, all of my SLGs are in mono. I have a very small collection of SLGs so maybe that will change over time.

I get tired of the canvas prints very quickly. That's why I personally could never just stick to one. I like having variety and I never have many bags in the same print. So variety is my recommendation!

I started as a matchy-matchy girl with my SLG's:
View attachment 3582333
After a while I get bored and know I like to have different pieces in my bag. [emoji5]

My first was a mono speedy 30 and then mono 6key holder. I started off "matchy-matchy" but now 10 years later I have a mix of all prints and many leathers. Looking inside my bag, I have multiple print slgs - good luck on deciding!

I would definitely get a mixture of different prints, it's easy to get tired of your purchases of everything is the same

I tend to have one bag in each print
Like mono, DE, DA, empriente, epi, ect...when a new one comes into my closet of the same then I usually get rid of the other. I just hate so much stuff. But love the options of different prints depending on weather and attire.

My collection of SLG is multiples of all prints.

As much as I love monogram...I need variety of looks. :P

I love variety and have bags & SLGs in different prints & colours. I´d find it very dull if I - for example - only had Monogram items.
But of course this is a question of personal preference. I listened to my gut feeling and bought each bag / SLG in the print that I thought works best with the style.
If you have preferences for certain prints, then focus on these and maybe you can also add some colors occasionally :smile: .

I started with DE because less hassle of the mono's vachetta. I am a minimalist so I like to have bags for certain occasions. I am not too fond of black but I agree a black lambskin Chanel Flap (or the like) should be in every collection (and I myself am working toward finding a black bag that I like & in my budget). I think everyone needs (okay, maybe not "need" but should have for a nice accessory wardrobe) a nice clutch or small bag, a medium-sized bag and larger bag (maybe a tote). Plus a good crossbody throw-around bag (like when taking kids to a faire or concert) so if something spills on it (been there with a Coach bag), you can just wipe clean. In regards to colors, pick what would go best for your wardrobe. I think DE can go with everything, even black. Yes I tend to wear black, greys, jeans and darker colors but I am just not fond of black bags so DE works well for me. Then maybe a bag or two in a fun pop of color...my choice is a rose red (can always go with Louboutins) and maybe a LE bag or something wild like the Chanel Rainbow Cuba for the summer days while wearing a flirty dress.

I am slowly building my bag collection. My budget can only handle LV even though I do love Chanel and Hermes so their SLGs will have to satisfy me there. I will eventually get something like a Speedy B (for my "daily" medium-sized bag) and a mm or gm NF tote (for traveling purposes). I have my small Eva DE bag and therefore have no need for a clutch (I gotta have a chain or strap). I already have my throw-around Coach bags for concerts, etc. And someday a black bag for the rare formal occasions.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THEIR INPUT!!! I really appreciate it! You guys are amazing AND totally right! I think I was just overwhelmed with all the choices available, but now I see that it's best to mix it up a bit. I already know what my first piece will be and will update this thread once I get (hopefully soon)!

Thanks again everybody!!